beer ASK WHEEBZ

I have a yeast from Omega that I haven't tried yet, but it's schtick is that it ferment across a HUGE range of temps, far beyond my room-temp + ferm-heat ...

I plan to check it out in a few weeks, when I'm out of ferm space ...

Ask Wheebz….

Wheebz I had this local beer and I liked it and would like to brew something close.  Here is the description from the breweries website.

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 8.23.27 AM.png

Here is what I put into Beersmith

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 9.18.08 AM.png

Would you mind looking at it and giving me your opinion?  Changes?   I hope I am in the ballpark, this is the first time I have tried to build a recipe from listed ingredients.  I was not sure if they meant flaked wheat or wheat malt in their description.  Thanks.

wheebz said:
if its the omega hot head, just wrap your fermenter in a blanket and stick it outside in the sun

I have a few from them, that one (planned to fermwwrap), and I also have their "tropical" which is a "brett/(sach)" trois i believe ...

tctenten said:
Ask Wheebz….

Wheebz I had this local beer and I liked it and would like to brew something close.  Here is the description from the breweries website.

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

Would you mind looking at it and giving me your opinion?  Changes?   I hope I am in the ballpark, this is the first time I have tried to build a recipe from listed ingredients.  I was not sure if they meant flaked wheat or wheat malt in their description.  Thanks.

Good job on that ...

I'm sure wheebz will tweak it a bit ...

Looks like a bit more dextrine malt than will be needed ...

You've got a .25oz Chinook addition where you are not using any more later (whirlpool/dry-hop) ....

I bet wheebz will migrate the hops down a bit - you have SMALL amount of Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade, in addition to the Columbus + Citra (my fav combo FWIW) ...

Just promise me you'll roll up the leftover hops in some papers and take it to the dome while you have a glass ...

"Head High, Bitches" ....

Best said NOT in the presence of your wife and daughter ...

1/4oz tomahawk at boil for bittering, change C-40 to a C-8 or 10 for light crystal, bring that carapils down to 5%

that 16P is wonky, and so is that 4lbs/bbl of hops they are saying

If your beer is starting at 16P, and they are only getting 6.5%, that means their finishing gravity is like 4P, which is super high for an IPA, especially one that only uses "light crystal", ESPECIALLY considering they say it ferments to a dry finish

and 4lbs/bbl is absolutely insane, thats just not plausible at all, in fact if thats true, thats super wasteful

I cant think of any instance where you would ever want/need that much

tctenten said:
Ask Wheebz….

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

ASK WHEEBZ -

What are good ways to wrangle a fair number of bottles of beer at home? ...

Bottles back in the cardboard cases the empty bottles came in, or ? ...

FastRack's are upside down by design, but I haven't looked to see if they also work flipped for holding bottles yet ...

Ask Wheebz

When are you installing these? Side Prodject in STL just put theirs in today

grantmichaels said:
ASK WHEEBZ -

FastRack's are upside down by design, but I haven't looked to see if they also work flipped for holding bottles yet ...

I have all of mine in between my fridge and bar in the basement in 6pk sleeves in the case boxes.

grantmichaels said:
ASK WHEEBZ -

I just kept them in the cases they came in. Easy to stack and easy to rinse and flip upside down when you want to drain them

tctenten said:
Ask Wheebz

Wheebz should every beer be cold crashed before bottling? I plan on bottling my Belgian whatever I brewed this weekend.

I cold crash everything but if you are bottle conditioning there really isnt a reason to, I however never bottle conditioned any beers other than 3 homebrewed beers.

Ozzy2001 said:
Ask Wheebz

When are you installing these? Side Prodject in STL just put theirs in today

I have all of mine in between my fridge and bar in the basement in 6pk sleeves in the case boxes.

I just filled my cellar with a bunch of them, only mine are twice as big

Back