spirits advise me on tequila

texas blues said:
The Sauza Hornito's with the green label is what I like. Great bang for the buck at around $27 bucks. Another one I recommend is Cazadores, the one with the deer on the label is another, goes for around $35 bucks. My current number 1 favorite is a little pricey at about $50 bucks...Don Julio Anejo. If it's just for margarita's...go for the Hornito's.

I'm going to pick up the Hornito's for margaritas when I get paid...and I want to get her the sippin tequila for her birthday, coming up shortly after. Anejo means silver? I know she likes silver for drinking neat...she was really annoyed when her tequila ordered neat was brought to her with a salted rim and a lime. I saw Patron silver for $45...Don Julio is better, TB?

No Anejo is not silver, it is more gold. Silver will say Blanco or just Silver. Anejo means it is aged over two years.

Celeste said:
I saw Patron silver for $45...Don Julio is better, TB?
Yes. Patron may have been good at one time but now it is a mass produced product... if it has a TV commercial... don't get it. That's just a rough guide... but have you seen a TV commercial for the tequilas mentioned? Or the good beer you like? Good beer and liquior only needs word of mouth. Bad beer and liquor needs commercials. :D

Celeste said:
Makes sense, thp! so, for her sipping tequila, Harradura silver or Don Julio Anejo.

I will be shoppin!

Don Julio Anejo will put a smile on her face. Anything Patron is all exported to gringos here in the US. It's tequila for people who don't like tequila but I'll admit to getting mrs. blues so drunk on it, she won't drink anything with tequila in it.

At the risk of being ridiculed, scolded and generally made fun of, what is so bad about Jose Quervo Gold? I think it has a nice vanilla/spicy (almost peppery) taste to it. I also think it has a decent balance to it, meaning I can sip it and also make mixed drinks with it. So, how does the more expensive Tequilas taste better, or what makes them generally better? Is it simply because they are 'micro brewed' and that is the chic thing? This is serious, so if you must tease and ridicule, please at least provide an answer, so all won't be for not.

Costco has a Kirkland Signature Tequila that is supposed to kick the pants off of Don Julio and the likes for the bargain price of about $23. It's available in states that allow alcohol sales in grocery stores. I'll see if I can post more info later.

Those who like tequila and have tried say it's the best. It's an aged-3-years anejo.

edit-
Here's a link to costco's beer, wine, spirits locator. The guide has 5 pages, make sure you click the other pages to find all the locations.
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/beer_wine_spirits_guide/#pg1

Celeste, it looks like you're in luck! St. Louis has spirits!

Cuervo is a cheaper blended tequilla. It is not 100% agave and the quality is not the same. It is mass produced so it is cheaper. Not to say that it is bad and doesn't have it's place, but for people who like sipping tequilla it is like comparing Jim Beam to Macallan.

Pepperfreak said:
At the risk of being ridiculed, scolded and generally made fun of, what is so bad about Jose Quervo Gold? I think it has a nice vanilla/spicy (almost peppery) taste to it. I also think it has a decent balance to it, meaning I can sip it and also make mixed drinks with it. So, how does the more expensive Tequilas taste better, or what makes them generally better? Is it simply because they are 'micro brewed' and that is the chic thing? This is serious, so if you must tease and ridicule, please at least provide an answer, so all won't be for not.

For one, Cuervo adds caramel for coloring. It is also anything but smooth. It's alright as a mixing tequila. Side by side with the better tequilas is night and day. If I was to order a shot of Cuervo at the bar because that is all they had, I would want a lime and maybe some salt. With the better tequilas, you don't need or want salt and or lime to get in the way....but that's just my opinion and coming from a cat that admits to drinking Bud light. If you dig on Cuervo, it's all cool and the gang.:P

Thanks TB...Guess I have never had 'real' Tequila and next time I'm in the liquor store, I'll look for something that has already been mentioned and give it a shot.

So you drink Bud Light too? :lol: It's not a bad beer to drink while working in the yard. However, there are a ton of brews that I like to drink for when I'm just relaxing or BBQ and hanging out. Everything has it's place. :lol:

JayT said:
Cuervo is a cheaper blended tequilla. It is not 100% agave and the quality is not the same. It is mass produced so it is cheaper. Not to say that it is bad and doesn't have it's place, but for people who like sipping tequilla it is like comparing Jim Beam to Macallan.

Now I really got it..."compairing Jim Bean to Macallan" :shocked: Now, I really can't wait to find a good bottle of Tequila.

Pepperfreak said:
Thanks TB...Guess I have never had 'real' Tequila and next time I'm in the liquor store, I'll look for something that has already been mentioned and give it a shot.

So you drink Bud Light too? :lol: It's not a bad beer to drink while working in the yard. However, there are a ton of brews that I like to drink for when I'm just relaxing or BBQ and hanging out. Everything has it's place. :lol:

You can't go wrong with the Sauza Hornitos and it's not as expensive as the super premiums. I buy the Bud light because its relatively cheap, and I can drink alot of it. If I could afford it, I'd drink good German beers everyday but alas.....I was going to start brewing beer again after the new year.....but the CEO and board of directors...aka mrs. blues has put a moratorium on brewing until further notice.

texas blues said:
You can't go wrong with the Sauza Hornitos and it's not as expensive as the super premiums. I buy the Bud light because its relatively cheap, and I can drink alot of it. If I could afford it, I'd drink good German beers everyday but alas.....I was going to start brewing beer again after the new year.....but the CEO and board of directors...aka mrs. blues has put a moratorium on brewing until further notice.

Psst...TB, Bud Light is my favorite go to beer too for the same reason). You can never go wrong with good German beer, but the price can be a tad scary and I reserve it for special occasions.

No one's ridiculing but I would never call Cuervo smooth! lol. Maybe you have only had harsh and harsher bad tequila. Get some Heradura. I'm really surprised you drank that stuff straight and liked it.

I have to be honest, I drank Cuervo shots straight for years before I started finding and drinking better. Still do drink it at the bar sometimes.

1800 is not bad, is that still the same? It was Cuervo, but not exactly, made by the people that make for Cuervo or something, and was 100% agave. Definitely better than the old Cuervo Gold harsh stuff.

salsalady said:
edit-
Here's a link to costco's beer, wine, spirits locator. The guide has 5 pages, make sure you click the other pages to find all the locations.
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/beer_wine_spirits_guide/#pg1

Celeste, it looks like you're in luck! St. Louis has spirits!

yes, salsalady- St. Louis does have plenty of spirits! :) however, on my list of allergies is Costco (no I dont get it either) I cant breathe in Costco. and I dont know anyone with a membership.
Don Julio Anejo will be the birthday present, I'm thinking I know who will carry it, if my well-stocked grocery doesnt. (they have Hornitos and Cazadores, all the flavors, it looks like).

thanks, guys!

Cazadores, oooooooh that's a goodie. I was trying to think of that one.

Well, sorry to hear that Celeste~

I'm not a tequila drinker, but the reviews on some other forums of the Costco tequila has been very good! I'm su-prised others' haven't found this one yet. It's hot off the press...

Just hoping to share with new friends.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Back