spirits The Whisky Thread

Armadillo said:
Please don't mix up JD with Bourbon! It's a Tennessee Whiskey!

Spot on the money Armadillo ;). Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are 2 totally different drinks...

I love good quality aged Bourbons (and have a few myself) but will always spend the money on a single malt whisky first. Usually the last of my tax return (if i can get it off the wife) pays for a nice bottle of bourbon or Tennessee whiskey each year...:cool:

moyboy said:
Spot on the money Armadillo ;). Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are 2 totally different drinks...

I love good quality aged Bourbons (and have a few myself) but will always spend the money on a single malt whisky first. Usually the last of my tax return (if i can get it off the wife) pays for a nice bottle of bourbon or Tennessee whiskey each year...:cool:

I will always prefer Tennessee Whiskey to Burbon.

Btw.: have you ever tasted the Jack Daniel's mustard? They have various flavors. Honey Dijon, Hickory Smoke, Southern Spicy and a few more. Great stuff!

Armadillo said:
Btw.: have you ever tasted the Jack Daniel's mustard? They have various flavors. Honey Dijon, Hickory Smoke, Southern Spicy and a few more. Great stuff!

They also make some yummy BBQ and even a hot sauce.
Hell, they have a whole line of food products.
Most of 'em are pretty good even. :)

Well, I'm no expert on the subject..but I've been drinking some decent scotch lately.

Right now I'm sipping on some Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 10 year. It's pretty tasty..I'm not too great at picking out all the subtleties like I am at beer though.

Other than that, I've recently had some McClelland's Islay (single malt), Glenlivet 18yo, and a bottle of Dewars 12 yo Special Reserve (blended). All of them completely neat..no ice, water, or even refrigeration...out of as close to a snifter as I have at the moment.

well even though I have been drinking beer and other distilled spirits for many years...one thing I have learned...a good ol' batch of east Texas moonshine will set you free...one of my friends has cousins that make it and I get a quart mason jar for my birthday and christmas...come on christmas, I am almost out...the stuff is the best moonshine I have ever tasted...you actually taste the corn and I call it corn whiskey like my grandpa did...

xgrafcorex said:
Right now I'm sipping on some Glenlivet French Oak Reserve 10 year.

I have some of this in the 15 year old. I thought they only made it in the 15yo?

AJ, sounds like that moonshine is pretty strong. What sort of Alcohol content do you think it has??

moyboy said:
I have some of this in the 15 year old. I thought they only made it in the 15yo?

AJ, sounds like that moonshine is pretty strong. What sort of Alcohol content do you think it has??

Ha you know, maybe I had sipped on it a bit too much. :lol: I still have a little left and yes, it is the 15. :oops:

Here in Kentucky, you can walk into a huge liquor store in July. Millions of bottles of fine bourbon on the shelves.

People will walk in and ask when the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year will be in. They say thanks and walk out empty handed, waiting 4 more weeks for the Pappy van Winkle.

Happens all the time around that time of year.

cheezydemon said:
google Pappy Van Winkle.

Trust me.

Did you notice the location?
;)

I've been told great things about this stuff and i have read a few good reviews. But yet again i am deeply saddened as it is near impossible to get any of these types of Bourbons in Australia and when you can find it, it has way to many 0's before the decimal point....:(:rolleyes:

I really envy you guys that can walk into your local liquor store and get the good stuff straight off the shelf....

Moboy, I see you didn't mention this one in your original post...right now I have a 750 of Glenfiddich 18yo. It's pretty damn smooth. I'm no scotch expert to where I can break down different woody flavors and whatnot but from the little I've had of this one (not trying to drink it too fast as it was fairly expensive) it is pretty damn good. Wish I had a proper snifter, but for now I've been using my Chimay glass. Close enough I guess...

Hey MoyBoy, what is the Laphroaigs' 10 year old like? I just got given a bottle for Christmas from my father :)
Anyone else tried this and have opinions?

Novacastrian said:
Hey MoyBoy, what is the Laphroaigs' 10 year old like? I just got given a bottle for Christmas from my father :)
Anyone else tried this and have opinions?

The Laphroaig is a great drop. The 10 year is their starting whisky...You need to like a very strong peat flavoured whisky to truly enjoy Laphroaig as it is one of the strongest peat flavoured whishies on the market (their are stronger but not many). The whisky takes on a very burnt earthy taste and the peat stays with you as an after taste for a while...

I personally love it and just finished off a botttle of the 10 year about a month ago.....

Good, looks like i am going to enjoy this bottle very much:) I don't know anything about Whiskies apart from i usally grab the cheapest or damn near cheapest bottle, not that i drink much of it.

Says on the bottle "Laphroaig is the most richly flavoured of all Scotch Whiskies". Cant wait to get home and try some, its my last day at work today, yeeeeeef%$^&nhaaaaaaaa.
I might even give you half the bottle mate!!

Back