• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Propagation Tray Watering Question

I know I am starting all of this rather late, but I have a propapation tray question. I bought 1020 trays and the 72 cell propagation trays from greenghouse megastore. They are due in today. My 1020 have no holes. I was wondering if I could add water to the 1020 trays and then sit my prop tray (which have holes) into the 1020s to keep the prop trays moist. Is that what most folks do or are you watering your prop trays from above?

Sorry about all the questions, but I have had problems in the past with overwatering my other plants. I'm new to all of this so any advice you might have would be grately appreciated. I put about a half inch of water in the 1020 tray, but I got scared that the soil looked way dry. So I  watered from the top to get the soil nice and moist but I would like to water from the bottom from now on. I'm just wondering how much water should be in the 1020 trays for bottom watering to take place.

You put enough water in the so the soil wicks it up and gets moist. If there is excess water and you are worries simply dump it out. If you are just now germinating seeds you should not be watering but misting the top of the soil instead. I do not like to top water but there are arguments for both methods, top and bottom. 

Back