• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

preservation Preserving garlic acridness

Hello everyone!

So, in my adventures of hot sauce making (lactic acid arrives tomorrow to play with :D), I hit another realization: my fermented sauces end up with a much more acrid bite from my garlic.

This makes sense given that I'm cooking the peppers and such before processing with a non-fermented sauce. The garlic is much more subdued and rounder in flavor, which is fine, but not what I'm going for.

So, my question is: is there a way to preserve that fresh garlic acridity in a sauce?

I'm thinking of either: adding it to the boil for 10 minutes (I like 15-20 minutes to soften the pepper skins up) or finely mincing it and tossing it into the sauce right when I take it off the heat. Good idea, bad idea?

If you are making a shelf stable cooked sauce, the garlic needs to be completely cooked, which may not happen if it is tossed in when removed from the heat. Garlic has no natural acidity and if not cooked, it could start botulism in the sealed bottles.

Perhaps something like citric acid or acsorbic acid powders might give the bite you are looking for. Or maybe garlic powder would retain bite more than cooked fresh garlic. Itll take some experimenting.

Good luck,
SL

Back