• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

LED panels for peppers

Nute said:
Has anyone tried or found the LED panels to be better than Fluorescents?

Peppers going nuts under a few watts
You know, I tried some. went to a university experimenting with LEDs, too.
Quoting myself:
Chilebase.com said:
Light Emitting Diodes (LED) are semiconductor based solid state diodes. They are very common in electronics and as indicator lights. The current Lumen/Wattage efficiency is not enough to compete with some of the other solutions, but this recently hyped light source has its advantages. A possibility to replicate the wavelengths plants need is one of them. With the right components, it is possible to create an array with most possibly the best artificial spectrum. Another advantage is the lack of moving parts, something that influences the life span and usage for the better. The technology is still underdeveloped, but future developments should improve overall efficiency. For now it is not your best choice, even though it is a good one.

It depends on what you get. The cheaper ones with the type of led you normally see don't put out a lot of light. But ones that use the super powerful CREE lights work really well but are very expensive. For $600 you can get a very powerful red/blue led light that is 100W and works better than a 400W HID. The one in that picture was a homemade one that used the CREE lights. It uses less lights than the prebuilt one so is probably less watts.

LEDs tend to use wavelengths that plants use more efficiently, require less power, and produce less heat than other types but produce less light.

alawn said:
It depends on what you get. The cheaper ones with the type of led you normally see don't put out a lot of light. But ones that use the super powerful CREE lights work really well but are very expensive. For $600 you can get a very powerful red/blue led light that is 100W and works better than a 400W HID. The one in that picture was a homemade one that used the CREE lights. It uses less lights than the prebuilt one so is probably less watts.

LEDs tend to use wavelengths that plants use more efficiently, require less power, and produce less heat than other types but produce less light.
Not really. the actual LED Lumen/Wattage efficiency is not as good as a good HID.
Experimental LEDs can match, but for now LEDs are NOT better. yes, like I wrote, there's an advantage with the possibility of choosing your wavelengths, but not all LEDs are up for the task.

Here's an explanation:
http://chilebase.com/index.php/2008/03/22/light-plants-part-ii-hardcore-data/

untill the sun burns out I do not see a point to spending cash on lighting.
now this is not what the post is about so I will answer that question.
I have seen both in action and will say that leds are an interesting idea and the way of the future as they require alot less power to run them.
have fun and play with indoor lighting as it will work and you will get stuff to grow but again ...... why.

Well, not everyone has the land or room to grow plants outside.
Here, I got..a 1BD apt. & a parking lot outside, next to a 5-way intersection. ;)

There's nothing green for two blocks in any direction...not counting signs and streetlights. :D

For now though, I'm sticking to floro's.

_Q_

The test results I have seen for the Procyon 100 out performed a 400W HID. I don't know the quality of the HID though. They use a special type of led that produces a lot more light per watt than a regular led. The only ones I have seen with a CREE XR or XR-E light are the procyon and the lightblaze. But these are very expensive. The cheaper ones wont put out anywhere near as much light and you would need a ton of them to grow very many plants. If you don't want to spend a lot of money I would use the fluorescents until the expensive ones come down in price or they get better at making bright LEDs.

Quoting myself:
Chilebase.com said:
With the right components, it is possible to create an array with most possibly the best artificial spectrum.
It'll cost you, though. not a cheap solution.

I am getting better dirt, and will do crasy things wit EcoLight.
I got two, 40W EcoLux..they are good for 9yrs ea..

Watch me grow. leaenred from granny..and will defi the rule.

I mke the sun shine..indoors.

God, Burning, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I woul dlove to come over, smoke, and then just zone out in that room. Such an awesome color!

There are two curves.
The lights address the chlorophyll curve but not the photosynthetic response curve. The latter does use more of a bit of the spectrum and currently it is dismissed as waste and not needed for the most part.
why_le1.gif

Thanks Nute you are so correct.
Great job!
Orange, green, and gold, oh my.
The other colors regulate and give metabolic clues to the plant.
I'm going to insist they use more colored lighting everywhere on the space station.
Humans probably respond to a larger variety of light colors and timing as well.

Back