• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tepins

Some tepins growing around the yard, I don't really use them in cooking just like the plant and pod shape.

DSCN3387.jpg

Heres a pic of some "wild tepins" they are growing in part shade in a heavily planted area in the yard.... I think birds dispered the seeds, this plant is the fastest growing and healthiest tepin (actually there is about 5 plants there) I have ever grown.
DSCN3382.jpg

some fruit on the "wild ones" these plants would be lucky to be 3 months old. lol
DSCN3383.jpg

sorry the last pic was a bit fuzzy.

I'll keep you posted on how big those wilds get, at present they are about 60cm tall.

They do seem awfully large, even if you consider it's just a 60cm plant. Looking nice and healthy, though. :)

Your right the red pods on the first plant are large for a tepin around 1cm to 1.5 cm. Don't no why that particuliar plant has always produced larger pods (a different seed source so I figure different variety). the ones I grow out the back (the one in the last pic) grow to maximum 1cm in diamiter, I honestly coudn't tell you if there was a heat difference like I said I don't really use them for cooking.

I just have a surplus of peppers I don't find that tepins are the best pepper for my cooking so just grow them because I like the plant... the pods are hot but not as hot as people make out and similiar in flavour to just about any thai chilli.
I might collect some and dry them out and put them in a pepper grinder...

stillmanz said:
I just have a surplus of peppers I don't find that tepins are the best pepper for my cooking so just grow them because I like the plant... the pods are hot but not as hot as people make out and similiar in flavour to just about any thai chilli.
I might collect some and dry them out and put them in a pepper grinder...

From what I have heard and read, the pequin/tepin give you the immediate front of the mouth and lips burn but goes away quickly. Try one and let me know....if you will. That is why I have three differet varieties of tepins and a pequin for planting this year.

it sure does just like the frutescen thai types... hit you upfront and hard I'd say the thai frutescens types hang around a bit longer (in burn)in my experience.

In Mexico, the tepin flavor is described as "'arrebatado', an word that means 'although it is extremely hot the sensation dissappears easily and rapidly."'

rainbowberry - thais are not a fruity chile like chinense chiles
willard - you happy I didnt say habanero :lol:

thais have a different burn but their burn kinda stays around not really long but around.

willard3 said:
In Mexico, the tepin flavor is described as "'arrebatado', an word that means 'although it is extremely hot the sensation dissappears easily and rapidly."'

That's nice to know.

Although, I started my Tepin's about 9 months ago. I've got 3. They're barely 1 foot tall and no signs of flowers. I know, what do I expect for NE Ohio.

At least they're still alive. LOL

Ya, I've never found Tepins to be that tasy. Especially the seeds, those were a bit nasty in their taste. But great bush you've got going there....I mean pepper bush people...get yer mind out of the gutter....hehe

I see a tomato branch hanging out in the second pic!

imaguitargod said:
But great bush you've got going there....I mean pepper bush people...get yer mind out of the gutter....hehe
Ha Ha! Who said my mind was in the gutter? It was :oops:
I'm still trying to germinate two Tepin seeds, one of them I've been waiting for a month now. The seeds are tiny arn't they compared to your usual chilli seed and it's not that I'm trying to germinate immature seeds?

yep wild cocktail cherry tomatoes from my kids throwing them around. Tepins need good heat to germinate but they like it in Brisbane so I don't really have to do much to get them going.
Mick

Back