• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Habanero Kiwi Sauce

Flamecycle

Extreme Member
Hey all, was just experimenting in the kitchen with some strange flavor ideas, figured I'd show and tell.

Ingredients:

1 kiwi
~10 orange habs
4 dried smoked bhut's
1 fresno
~ 1 T cane sugar
1 dash allspice
juice 2 limes
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water

DSC00376.jpg

First I deseeded the dried bhuts and placed them into the vinegar/lime juice solution to let them rehydrate:
DSC00377.jpg

Then chopped up my peppers and skinned the kiwi:
DSC00378.jpg

Add in all the peppers and boil for about 15 mins:
DSC00381.jpg

The kiwi doesnt boil, it gets set in the blender ahead of time:
DSC00379.jpg

Then everything gets piled into the blender and she takes a twirl:
DSC00382.jpg

And Voila! Bottle hot. (looks like I didnt eyeball 1 bottle's worth quite right)
DSC00385.jpg

It came out nice and screaching hot, hotter than the last batch I made with mostly fresh bhuts. I notice a big difference in the heat of my fresh sauces based on how long I boil them, more than 15 mins seems to cool down the batch. I'm sure it will mellow out after a week or so in the fridge anyway.

The flavor is different than anything I've made before... Its fairly sweet but tart at the same time with a noticeable smokiness from the bhuts, and the heat is a sharp searing pain at the front of the tongue and top of the mouth.

I think it would go well on meats like chicken (has sort of a light jerkish flavor), and I expect it to be a good addition to Indian or Middle eastern dishes.

Ill update in about a week when I reopen and start regular consumption. :P

Thank you all for the positive feedback!

I have begun trying this sauce out now that its had a little time for everything to mingle (not too much time, I got anxious). The smoked bhuts have a prominent place in the aroma, along with a tangy sweet pepper smell, the vinegar isn't too noticeable.

Eating it straight, I really like the flavor. I can taste everything, the smokiness from the bhuts is great, and the allspice was a good decision, I think it really gives the sauce an interesting jerk character. It definitely has a tangy tartness from the combo of kiwi, vinegar, and lime, but is fairly sweet at the same time. However, that aspect of the flavor is a bit subtle. On food (so far tried on chicken, eggs, and chips), I don't think it has enough POP to really carry a dish. On food it tastes like it is almost delicious, but the flavors seem watered down. I have yet to try it on fish, maybe the subtleness will be a positive there.

The heat is actually fairly mild considering that there are 12 habs and 4 bhuts in 3/4 of a bottle. But it does have a good searing burn that seems to focus on the tongue, and the heat level is a good mix with the sweet flavor imo.

I think next time around I will double the kiwi, and add smaller number of hotter peppers (maybe substitute fresh 7 pot or bhut for some habs). That ought to leave me with a similar heat and flavor profile but a more pungent one for food. Once my plants start producing Ill try that out and update with how it compares.

Overall I would recommend trying a sauce like this though, its a tasty sauce to just spoon into your mouth or douse potato chips with.

Back