• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Butch T Germination...

Hey all,

After 2 weeks only one of ten Butch Ts had sprouted. This morning i went to the heat mat and everything was still the same. I then went to check on my new seedlings under-lights. Low and behold a second Butch T had sprouted very close to my other. Is it safe to transplant this little guy ? Should I wait, do it as soon as possible ? Any and all advice is appreciated...

--Mega

nq8fup.jpg

I just pull them up as soon as a second one sprouts, if I want to keep it, then stick it in a different pot...done it dozens of times, and even snapped the tap root once and they have all survived. If you wait you will have more roots to deal with and the plants are more sensitive to root damage. While they're still just Coty's they're hard to kill. When I move them I fill the receiving pot with soil then use a bamboo kabob skewer to make a hole for the roots. Bury it almost all the way up to the Cotlydons and water well. Good luck! Shane

I agree with STC on this one. If you want to save both, you either need to separate them before their roots get too intertwined (and risk shocking them a bit), or approach graft the two together so that you have 1 plant with 2 root systems.

If you leave them, and the roots become intertwined, you'll have a much harder time separating them.

even snapped the tap root once and they have all survived

me as well... if you do this, simply stick it back inside a peat pellet, or however you are germinating them, keep it moist, and in time it will resume growing vigorously.

I also transplanted two that were in one Jiffy pellet as soon as I saw the sprout and both are still alive today, so I would agree with the do it now approach.

No you definately want to wait a bit to let the roots grow a bit! Other wise it will really slow down the growth! I learned my lesson by transplanting at that stage!

Of course if you want to keep it then you should seperate now. Or you can let both grow and select the best one and cut the other

No you definately want to wait a bit to let the roots grow a bit! Other wise it will really slow down the growth! I learned my lesson by transplanting at that stage! Of course if you want to keep it then you should seperate now. Or you can let both grow and select the best one and cut the other
Really? Mine never stunted at all??? Except the one I snapped the root on. That one lagged a little, but caught up nicely after that. The only reason I snapped that root was it had done a complete loop before sprouting and that created a little kink when I tried to pull it up. The rest took right off and developed as if they'd never been touched. Either way will cause some trauma...damned if you do...damned if you don't! The only reason I suggest one over the other is I believe that the younger they are the easier they bounce back...but I have bought plants befor that had 2 or 3 in one container that were already fruiting, and hacked them apart with a kitchen knife and they survived too. Both will work as long as you are careful about it.

Really? Mine never stunted at all??? Except the one I snapped the root on. That one lagged a little, but caught up nicely after that. The only reason I snapped that root was it had done a complete loop before sprouting and that created a little kink when I tried to pull it up. The rest took right off and developed as if they'd never been touched. Either way will cause some trauma...damned if you do...damned if you don't! The only reason I suggest one over the other is I believe that the younger they are the easier they bounce back...but I have bought plants befor that had 2 or 3 in one container that were already fruiting, and hacked them apart with a kitchen knife and they survived too. Both will work as long as you are careful about it.

ya true story at least in my case! Plants that sprouted later soon passed it up. Could have just been the seed itself?

I asked at my local hydro store as he's a chili head too. Claims if done with some TLC, peppers can be divided just as easy as any other plant in soil.

I like to do it ASAP, when the roots aren't fully developed and branching out. easier to transplant into another pot IMO.

Better now than when it grows big roots! I've never had an issue transplanting babies.

I just pull them up as soon as a second one sprouts, if I want to keep it, then stick it in a different pot...done it dozens of times, and even snapped the tap root once and they have all survived. If you wait you will have more roots to deal with and the plants are more sensitive to root damage. While they're still just Coty's they're hard to kill. When I move them I fill the receiving pot with soil then use a bamboo kabob skewer to make a hole for the roots. Bury it almost all the way up to the Cotlydons and water well. Good luck! Shane
+1

Okay, so I'm just reading this, and I have....oh, maybe 5 or 6 plants (yellow 7s) all VERY close together and fairly large at this point. I didn't know they should be separated, and last fall had just thrown some seeds into dirt in a pot and let them go (I had never grown peppers before). Soooo, can these survive once I put them (all together) into a larger pot? I plan on keeping it in a pot this year, due to yard do-over. I understand they won't get as many pods if they are in a pot, but I don't need tons at this point, as I'm the only one who really eats/likes them.

Here's a picture.....are they doomed since they are so close together?
2012-03-06134137-1.jpg

Here is down closer to the dirt....
2012-03-06151548.jpg

And I'm sorry MegaSpokane....I'm not trying to hijack your thread!

I'd be curious to know how a cluster like that turns out. I've done this with other plants but not peppers.

I don't think doomed... I just think you're going to need bigger pots... It will be prone to becoming rootbound faster I should think...

Back