• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles moruga scorpion new hottest in the world

They missed a lot of important details, focusing only on work done by the institute and they hype up the high reading with no mention of drastically different low readings

My guess? Two reasons. 1) It's not exactly hard news and 2) They had a word count limit. That's just the way it works. And it's a good lesson for any business that has a story written about them to be as concise, short and sweet as possible with their information bits. Because not all you say will make it in the story 99% of the time. And since the subject is NOT the journalist, the journalist has control over what content is published. Lack of full information doesn't make "bad" journalism unless its lying by omission.

The concentration on the work done by the institute is because they localized the story. It's where NMSU is based, and therefore why the story was written at all. It's a common journalistic practice, and actually exactly what they should be doing if you expect the piece to run at all.

And finally, the author is probably making $25K a year to cover eight beats with no benefits. It's a hell of a business to be in. Under constant scrutiny, with no one happy with what you write all the time, getting paid junk and treated like a vagabond and a mule. No respect.

Ya, there could be many reasons but to me its still poor journalism

No. No it's not. Unless the j-school you went to was different than mine, which was quite good.

You not liking the way a story was written does not make it "poor journalism". I think most of the cars on the road today are rubbish, but I'd say I'd be out of line calling them "poorly designed" or "poorly engineered". Some of them may, in fact, be poor. But I am certainly not the person to be able to tell. I just don't like them because they aren't to my taste. Millions of drivers don't agree with me.

I'll stick with my opinion but I respect yours

Your opinion is that you don't like the article. That the article is "bad journalism" is simply untrue. And that's qualifiable by modern journalistic tenets. A continuance in believing that is a hubris that is uninformed and unwilling to understand another's occupational restrictions. That's not an opinion.

To me, that's very sloppy journalism, at best. The author gets basic information wrong by saying that the Bhut was the previous record holder, completely ignoring the Butch T. That is information she could have found with about 5 seconds of googling. There is a grammatical error in the very first line (do they not teach the difference between "its" and "it's" in journalism school?), and the random capitalization throughout the article is really annoying. Serrano is misspelled, and I don't know exactly what Paul Bosland said, but the author claims that Bosland listed ancho, poblano, and New Mexico green as varieties of peppers the CPI test garden will be growing. One cannot "grow" an ancho, because it is a dried poblano. "New Mexico green" is not a variety of pepper either, it's the color of unripe New Mexico peppers. I have a VERY hard time believing that Paul Bosland doesn't know these things already, so most likely she misreported what he said and just pulled a few familiar pepper names out of her you know what (I'm surprised she didn't say chipotle).

To me, that's very sloppy journalism, at best. The author gets basic information wrong by saying that the Bhut was the previous record holder, completely ignoring the Butch T. That is information she could have found with about 5 seconds of googling. There is a grammatical error in the very first line (do they not teach the difference between "its" and "it's" in journalism school?), and the random capitalization throughout the article is really annoying. Serrano is misspelled, and I don't know exactly what Paul Bosland said, but the author claims that Bosland listed ancho, poblano, and New Mexico green as varieties of peppers the CPI test garden will be growing. One cannot "grow" an ancho, because it is a dried poblano. "New Mexico green" is not a variety of pepper either, it's the color of unripe New Mexico peppers. I have a VERY hard time believing that Paul Bosland doesn't know these things already, so most likely she misreported what he said and just pulled a few familiar pepper names out of her you know what.

Touche, AB. You're right. I was concentrating too much on the subject and not on the writing. Sorry, POTAWIE. I overlooked all of those things except the Bhut reference.

WutS ronG wEeth misPelen a fyoo wurds oR rAnDUm caaputulIZashuN? DiM dAr pEpr's iZ pHreeKen hOtt kNow mAtEr houW ya SpEl iT!

First of all I stand corrected on the older Bhut Jolokia test statement I made last year. That info was given to me by someone I once trusted who is in the industry. This person also told me never to trust CPI. And I am glad I trusted Cajohn Hard and gave them my seeds for this study. First of all I did give them Butch T seeds but I never labeled them that. I won't argue with any of you but I grew out Butch T from Neal and Judy along side Ronnies Scorpions he got from Sarah and had thousands of plants and could not see a difference. So all seeds I sent to institute that represented Scorpion were just labeled Trinidad Scorpion. Now the Chocolate 7 Pot they mention was Douglah. I got my Douglah seeds from Neal and Semillas. The Moruga Scorpion I obtained from Jukka 3 yrs ago and Jukka got them from Cmpman (Chris). My 7 Pot Jonah were the red 7 Pot variety they tested which was also from Neal from 3 yrs ago. Now I never created anything new so if someone says that its BS. All I did the lst 3-4 yrs with these varieties is isolate, overwinter and save seeds from best pods and plants which is what most of you do. The other seeds grown out we're scorpions from Cardi and Bhuts from Institute. Two facts. They don't do anything to stress the plants. They water and feed in a clay soil field just like their green chiles. Also they did not take small samples. Samples were 20-25 pods from single plants. Want more details then wait for complete study to come out in Hort Science Magazine.

Excellent interview!! Thanks for posting! Very interesting that the Bhut Jolokia and the Orange Habanero are so closely related - I never would have believed it..

Back