• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

first try @ bhut jolokia

hi all this my first post .. im new to the forum and new to the world of chilis thanks to watching one of neils videos on youtube and getting hooked.. thanks neil lol

anyway i went and purchased some bhut jolokia seeds and try get some started but i was unhappy with my setup... so today i went out and bought a old filing cabnet and have a go at making a indoor hydro box to help keep the heat up. hopefully all goes well and i see some bhuts starting off in the next few days... anyway reason for this post is so you guys can view my video of my setup and let me know if i have made any mistakes .. also what is the best temps and humidity for germinating bhut jolokia seeds ?

any help will be much appreciated

ps. light bulbs are 60w and 40w .. i thought two 60 watt bulbs were to hot maybe

my first attempt at a chili setup : video below

Welcome to the forums!

Your setup looks excellent! Hope your grow goes well.

The best temp for germination is 80-85 degrees from my experience. As far as humidity goes, It shouldn't be dry, but shouldn't be extremely humid either. Too dry and the seeds may dry out, but if you keep an eye on it, then it shouldn't be a problem. Humid air and very wet soil may cause the seeds/seedlings to damp off and die.

Welcome to the forums!

Your setup looks excellent! Hope your grow goes well.

The best temp for germination is 80-85 degrees from my experience. As far as humidity goes, It shouldn't be dry, but shouldn't be extremely humid either. Too dry and the seeds may dry out, but if you keep an eye on it, then it shouldn't be a problem. Humid air and very wet soil may cause the seeds/seedlings to damp off and die.

thank. i am not sure what temps are just yet .. ill buy a temp and humidity reader tomorrow ... the problem is i should have my heat mats here tomorrow in the post and im not sure if i should use it if my temp is already around 30c..

Good effort.

The only issues I can see is it looks like your using aluminium foil shiny side. I did this last year and while it worked I've since learned its not the best. It actually reflects less light than white paint (55% vs 80+%) and the shiny side is apparently worse and can cause heat spots. I intend to use white printer paper this year.

The other thing is that you look to be using incandescent bulbs. These will be good for warmth but poor for growing, ideally you want compact flourescents in there.

Good Luck!

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas...there are a bunch of Aussie growers on here that will definitely be able to tell you what you need in your part of the world...right Nova? Good luck this season....

Welcome to THP. Your setup looks good. Only problems I see are the incandescent bulbs and the fan. I wouldn't use the fan until your seeds break the soil and stand up straight. Even then you should only turn it on periodically throughout the day. Good luck. If you have trouble germinating let me know.

thanks for the worm welcome all :)

Good effort.

The only issues I can see is it looks like your using aluminium foil shiny side. I did this last year and while it worked I've since learned its not the best. It actually reflects less light than white paint (55% vs 80+%) and the shiny side is apparently worse and can cause heat spots. I intend to use white printer paper this year.

The other thing is that you look to be using incandescent bulbs. These will be good for warmth but poor for growing, ideally you want compact flourescents in there.

Good Luck!
yea i decided to pull out all the alloy foil today and put some cheap car windscreen reflectors in there and see how that goes... i checked the temps and im now at 32c so i think i need 2 degrees less ... just need to find a tool to measure the humidity... anyone know were i can find a cheap humidity reader ?

Welcome to THP. Your setup looks good. Only problems I see are the incandescent bulbs and the fan. I wouldn't use the fan until your seeds break the soil and stand up straight. Even then you should only turn it on periodically throughout the day. Good luck. If you have trouble germinating let me know.

thanks champ. ill switch the fan off till the plants are up. what bulbs are best and were can i purchase them ? i tried e
nergy saving light bulbs but they put out alot less heat.​

any help will be much appreciated.

The incandescents are actually great for heat but once your seeds break soil i would switch to CFLs with your setup.

was not happy with the bulbs so went and got these

also made some changes and heat is around 30c with fan off

are these bulbs what you guys recommend ?

nelson 28watt = 140watt compact fluorescent

Nice! That's a sweet setup. Those bulbs should be perfect. Good luck with your grow. Can't wait to see some hooks!

:welcome: from florence az. Keep them moist not soaking wet just moist mist them with a water bottle maybe even stretch some clear plastic wrap over the top hold it on with a rubber band this will keep in moisture. good luck

WOOOT !! my first little bhut came threw today

img0120qmq.jpg

took 3 days :fireball:

this must be what it feels like to have a child ? lol

but in all honesty i am over the moon :party:

i think the chilli bug has bitten

Back