• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Duo December Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
LunchBox's Paired Piggy Pleasure

Ingredients:

6# Pork Sirloin
Fresh garlic
2 yellow onions
bunch green onions
bunch cilantro
6 roma tomatoes
2 large carrots
10 tomatillos
1# brick of Monterey Jack cheese
Corn Masa
a dozen corn husks
a few limes
corn oil
Shiner Bock
orange juice
2 cans La Sierra Black Beans
1 can Rotel
black olives
pickled jalapeno juice

Chiles: 3 poblanos, 2# New Mexico Hatch (hot), pre-roasted and bagged, 8 jalapenos, about a dozen serranos, 3 peach habaneros, 2 peter peppers, 6 dried (red) Hatch/NuMex Hots

Spices: "special" t-scorp flakes, sea salt, black pepper, white pepper, roasted cumin, cumin seed, roasted coriander, hungarian paprika, california chili powder, "black" chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,

Methods:

Carve off 1 pound of pork, or if it's sectioned, like this one, take a pounder out.

Tamales: Heat wok with corn oil until crazy hot, while it heats up, cube pork, and season with black pepper, white pepper, fresh minced garlic, sea salt, lime juice, red and black chili powder, paprika, cumin seed, a handfull of chopped onion, and a chopped jalapeno. Toss it in,and sear. Let it cook until juices start coming out, then stir in a little Shiner Bock. Over the next two hours, stir in a little more beer, and some of the water from blanching the peppers/tomatillos for the tamale sauce. Let it boild down, and smash it up with a spatula until you get the consistency of...well...tamale filling. Roast a few poblanos, rinse, peel, and slice into strips. Combine masa mix with garlic powder, black peper, salt, cumin, and t-scorp flakes. Smear masa on corn husks (gotta soak those for 10 minutes or so beforehand), lay in a couple strips of poblano, then spoon some meat in. Wrap 'em up, and steam for 2-3 hours...these took 3, since I like thick masa.

Tamale Sauce: Boil 2 carrots, 3 habs, 6 dried red Hatch chiles, 6 cloves garlic, half an onion, for 10 minutes, then add 2 romas, 1 jalapeno & 1 serrano for a few more minutes. When tenderish, toss in blender, reserving the liquid (see above). When mashed up really well, add juice from 1 lime, and some of the liquid back in to thin it a bit. Add ground cumin, ground coriander, black pepper, sea salt, and black chili powder. Puree, taste, then grab another beer because that was some hot shit...both thermally, and chemically.

Carnitas: cube 5# pork into chunks the size of a lemon. Toss in a pot, cover with water, season with cumin seed, salt, black and white pepper, red and black chili powder, paprika, granulated garlic/onion. Add a dozen or so cloves of garlic whole but crushed, and the 2# of Hatch green chiles. Set to a steady low boil. After 2 hours, add a half cup of orange juice, 6 tomatillos, and 1 onion sliced up. Continue the low boil until juices reduce down to about an inch thick...should be another hour+. Turn heat off, but leave it there.

Tomatillo Salsa: Blanch 6 tomatillos, 6 jalapenos, 12-14 serranos, 1 roma, a few cloves of garlic, then toss in blender, and mix until lumpy. Add can of Rotel with juice, a little pickled jalapeno juice, and the juice from a lime. Season with salt, granulated garlic/onion. Serve with cilantro and onion, but don't add them until it's time to eat it.

Black beans: 2 cans of black beans, add diced jalapeno, roma, onion, and cilantro. Season with granulated garlic, black pepper, black chili powder, and sea salt. Bring it to a boil, then turn the heat off.

Throw it on a plate, and garnish with green onion, cilantro, and jack cheese.

The last step is critical for the WIN:

Begin eating immediately, and say to hell with the throwdown tonight. The following day, heat everything separately, and try to plate while a 7 month old growls at the fish tank, and a 4 year old screams bloody hell because he caught the his "wiggly-worm" in the zipper on his PJ's. Forget to garnish with lime wedges, chopped olives, and rings of Peter-Pepper (see "irony"). Take a few pictures, then sit down to eat after it's all cold. For desert, load pics, crash computer, restart, retype, reload. Is there any Shiner left?

ENJOY!

dec2011td1-1.jpg

dec2011td2-1.jpg

Oh man. I am knawing on the corner of my screen right now. Shiner, Hatch Chiles, Carnitas. Oh my goodness. That is like the NM Holy Trinity isn't it? Good Lawd. I thought I was full, but I'd fight TB's mama for some of that LB.:clap:

Oh man. I am knawing on the corner of my screen right now. Shiner, Hatch Chiles, Carnitas. Oh my goodness. That is like the NM Holy Trinity isn't it? Good Lawd. I thought I was full, but I'd fight TB's mama for some of that LB.:clap:

LOL...thanks. I was going to make black bean and corn soup, but I'll be damned if I didn't have any corn in the house...after just going to the store. The 4 year old is asleep on the couch now, after his tramatic experience. *He N E V E R naps.

JayT: That clam pasta looks ridiculously good!
TB: Those black bean and garlic fish tacos on homemade tortillas have me wanting to go to the store and make a completely inferior version.

Chorizo Mi Amigo

Chorizo con los Heuvos
1 lb. chorizo
2 potatos
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
1 poblano
2 jalapeños
1 can diced tomatoes

Fry diced potatoes until golden brown, add chopped vegies and chorizo.
Turn all ingredients in together cook until done.
Plate up with shredded cheddar, 2 poached eggs, Setsquatch's pepper powder (Thanks Seth)

Chorizo Queso Crêpes
1 lb. chorizo

Queso
1/2 block Velveeta
1/4 onion
2 jalapeños
1 clove garlic
1 ts my chili powder
3 cups Tillamook Cheddar
1 can diced tomatoes
Sauté vegies until soft
add cheese and tomatoes. Booyah! (Thanks TB)

Crêpes
eggs
flour
milk
oil
salt
red savina powder
now you're crêpen...

Plate up with fried chorizo & queso sauce rolled into the crêpe, top with cheese.

Serve with hot tortillas for the Chorizo con los huevos, grab a fork...

8829532b.jpg

97e96a67.jpg

Ok SD. Two things, no booze in sight, and only half a block of Velveeta? What are you doing with the rest of it? Get to boozin' man, you aren't thinking straight. :lol:

TB's Fish Taco's 2 Ways

The fish: steelhead trout

The tortilla's: White Wing brand corn masa, granulated garlic, sea salt, hungarian paprika, olive oil, h2o. Whirred & stirred, onto a tortilla
press and then grilled on a cast iron comal.

The methodology:

Tacos #1~ steelhead strips sauteed in olive oil and finished with Vietnamese black bean and garlic sauce, served over caramelized onion and topped with green onion, pickled red jalapeno's, homemade salsa, and lime zest.

Tacos #2~ steelhead strips deep fried in a homemade mustard batter (flour, baking powder, salt, mustard, water) served on a bed of chipotle
ranch cole slaw with pickled red jalapeno's, and lime zest.

Garnished with radish, lime wedges, and pickled red jalapeno escobeche.

Get down brown with this plate of fish taco's.

IMG_3280.jpg

Salute' y'all!

IMG_3281.jpg

tamales, tacos, chorizo, falefal, BACON!, pizza from 2.....:woohoo:

Awesome entries so far.

CHILE JUJU! Where's your post??? Scovie, get off the computer so CJ can do her thang!

I don't know if I can compete with everyone else, Jt's epic, as always,
Lunchbox crazy wicked good looking, yum!
Geeme? always massively creative! who knew when wheebz and I were bantering about "Steak wrapped bacon", you were inspired? :party:
Vegan Ray, well damn bro, I would priveledged to have some of your food, you are obviously passionate about what you produce, and it's great to be competing with you.
diamond, I'm still waiting on those wings, it's been over a half an hour, so... free? right? Thanks for the tip for when CJ makes your sauce.
TB, Salmon taocs, whoda thunk it? Looks incredible, right down to the garnish, I can't wait to see your final entry pics!

And to everybody else who may or may not enter... :cheers:

Ok SD. Two things, no booze in sight, and only half a block of Velveeta? What are you doing with the rest of it? Get to boozin' man, you aren't thinking straight. :lol:

Ha! I'm already thinking about taking tomorrow off because of today's hang over...

I just looked at all the entries again. This is going to be a good one. Totally different entries. Each of them good. I would munch on any of them. TB, this is me NOT commenting on your foo foo. Where's SoFlo? I finally finished that big-@$$ bowl of pasta. I don't know why I don't make that more often. Yum. I got a big thumbs up from the misses for the pizza. And I am on my third or fourth big mug. Life is good. Carry on everyone.

TB, what's the texture on the tortillas? Are they crispy, or just lightly browned/warmed?

Just off the comal the tortillas have a bit of crispness but I toss them into a tortilla warmer where they soften up a bit and retain a somewhat coarse texture. You can use the comal or go right into a cast iron pan with canola oil if preferred. Fresh homemade corn masa also has a much more toasted corn flavor and to me is vastly superior over store bought bland corn tortillas. I eat tortillas every day so it just makes sense that I make my own. I still by at the store as mrs. blues likes the convenience of grab and go make your own tacos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back