• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Duo December Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between LB's post and JayT's, I'm wondering something. I always come up with new stuff for the TD's - I've never made any of my entries before. So have you (anyone) ever made stuff for the TD's that you've made before, or do you always try new stuff, too?

I usually try to make something I've never attempted before, but sometimes I pull out an old favorite, and spin it a bit. Back in the Mex TD, I've made pork fajitas countless times...but never tortillas from scratch. This one...well...you'll have to wait a bit to see. :)

Time for some prep work...

100_9858.jpg

So have you (anyone) ever made stuff for the TD's that you've made before, or do you always try new stuff, too?

Yes. :lol:

LOL, SL - I was only half-expecting that from you! I think from now on I'll simplify - like I could have purchased chocolate sauce at the store, then just added some cinnamon and chile powder.

On another note, that was WAY too much food for me last night, so had leftovers for lunch just now. No one will argue that reheated steak isn't as good as the first time around. BUT the pear was amazing after the flavors got to mingle together overnight - should anyone decide to give this a try, don't be afraid to make it a day in advance!

Still time to enter! Come on who has that awesome Duo?! Do u?

I guess I'll post some pics while I eat, but wait until I am finished to post final entry.

Jay T's Clams Two Ways with Strawberry Bhut Granita.

First the White Clam Pizza. This was inspired by the originator Pepe's of New Haven, CT. This is made with Little Neck clams, olive oil, Roman style crust, Mozzarella, and Pecorino Romano cheese. I added some red onion, roasted garlic, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced jalapeno, and some of RedtailForester's B3 Strawberry Bhut sauce. (more on that later.

100_9852.jpg

100_9861.jpg

100_9863.jpg

100_9864.jpg

100_9869.jpg

Next the Linguine with Clam Sauce

I made a sauce with olive oil, roasted garlic, red onion, jalapeno, a bhut, halved cherry tomatoes, anchovies, clam juice, and white wine. After sauteing the clams until they opened. I added the whole mess to a pot of cooked linguine and tossed before serving with fresh parsley and more olive oil.

100_9859.jpg

100_9860.jpg

100_9862.jpg

100_9867.jpg

Granita to come...

The Granita is a shaved ice dessert. I made this by whisking cold water and about half a bottle of Redtailforester's B3 Strawberry Bhut sauce and then freezing it. After it is set (I used a metal cake pan) you scrape it out with a fork. I topped it with a little more of the sauce itself.

100_9855.jpg

100_9856.jpg

100_9865.jpg

100_9868.jpg

Jay T's Clam's Two Ways with Strawberry Bhut Granita

White Clam Pizza:

Ingredients:
Roman Pizza Dough (a little breadier version of pizza dough)
Little Neck Clams from Maine
Olive Oil
Mozzarella Cheese
Pecorino Romano Cheese
Red onion
Roasted Garlic
Jalapeno
Cherry Tomatoes

A bulb of garlic is roasted in the oven for an hour. While this is going, the clams are shucked and the dough is rolled out. I spread olive oil, the clams, and cheeses then add the red onion, jalapeno, cherry tomatoes and bake at 500F for about ten minutes.

Linguine w/ Clam Sauce

Ingredients: olive oil, anchovies, red onion, roasted garlic, jalapeno, bhut jolokia, lemon zest, lemon juice, white wine, clam juice, bay leaf, thyme, and parsley. I saute the veggies in the olive oil then add the wine, and clam juice. I then sautee/steam the clams. I boiled linguine, drained then tossed with the clam sauce and garnished with parsley.

Strawberry Bhut Granita

Ingredients:
water, RedtailForester's B3 Strawbery Bhut Sauce

The sauce is mixed with cold water and frozen in a cake pan. Once it is set the mix is scraped/shaved with a fork. I serve it with a little more of the sauce on top.

100_9866.jpg

100_9871.jpg

You are SO making that for me some day!

Well, that and at least half a dozen other dishes. It may be a long visit!

I would have done a lemon basil granita, not sure about strawberry and clams, but I guess you have to taste it. Looks like something from Chopped. Good luck Jay.

Whatchu sayin' boss? I'm on the chopping block? :lol: Chopped is kind of how this one plays out. Except we know what is in our baskets before hand. Believe it or not the granita is pretty good with the clams. The strawberry is there, but its definitely not overpowerfully sweet. Believe it or not, the heat is more pronounce this way than the sweetness. When eating it straight or on food I get a lot more of the sweetness than the heat. Weird.

It's definitely creative and that can win it for sure! The strawberry does pique my interest, I know it works with savory dishes like Monte Cristo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back