• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Duo December Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
CJ's in the kitchen, so I'm exiled to the computer. but that's cool, it's right next to my glass of whiskey.

Oh no. More drunk posts, edited out the next day. :lol:

Drunk Posting isn't what I'm good at, although at the time I'm a friggen Rock Star sent from mars. (I might edit this tomorrow).
When you see my avatar sideways, I am not responsible for I gets typed. :drunk:

Teaser... No PoL yet I know, but I rather put it in my final entry.... Tomorrow I initiate hurricane.

74fa028a.jpg

Are those Ham steaks? Gimme that bag of chili's.... NOW!

edit: [1/2 hour later] This is BORING! where is everybody?

Protein Coma

You guys talk, I listen...... sort of!

Steak-wrapped bacon and bacon-wrapped pear with chocolate and raspberry sauces.
both.jpg

The goods:
close.jpg

Steak-wrapped bacon:
1 ribeye steak
slices of bacon
slices of havarti cheese
jalapeño slices
chipotle chile powder
garlic powder
sea salt
Turn on the broiler of your oven. Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet until it is done, but still flexible. Set bacon on paper towel to drain. Break into pieces that will fit into the steak. Cut a pocket into the steak. Sprinkle chile powder on cheese slices. Sautee jalapeño slices in the bacon grease. Stuff the steak with the bacon, jalapeño slices, and cheese. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, and more chipotle chile powder. Put steak into the hot cast iron skillet (with bacon grease still in it), then put them together in the broiler for 7 minutes (more or less, to your desired doneness. Actually, that was a little too long for my preference.)

Skillet-roasted Veggie Medley:
small white, red, and purple potatoes
button mushrooms
broccoli
grated carrot
garlic
sea salt
olive oil
Roast in skillet until done, adding veggies according to individual cooking times.

Bacon-wrapped Roasted Pear:
1 pear
cinnamon
mace
chipotle chile powder
brown sugar
bacon
whole cloves
chocolate sauce (below)
raspberry sauce (below)
Preheat oven to 350F. Peel the pear. Make a small slice off the bottom if it won't stand up. Sprinkle cinnamon, mace, and chile powder on pear, then rub on brown sugar. Wrap with bacon, and use cloves to fasten ends. Place in small baking dish with bottom lightly buttered. Roast the pear until the bacon is done and the pear is soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, then drizzle with chocolate and raspberry sauces. Remove cloves before eating.

Chocolate Sauce:
4 squares from Lindt dark chocolate bar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
dash of salt
cinnamon
chipotle chile powder
Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.

Raspberry Sauce:
1 pint raspberries
1/8 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
Cook on medium about 10 minutes, until the raspberries break down. If desired, strain off seeds.

Oh Geeme!!!! What have you done????? That is pure artistry - with a perfect dash of whimsy! Bacon never had it so good!!!!!
Your brain amazes me...what do you dream of at night??? :clap:

I had a plan for this TD, but you all keep messing me up with your awesome entries! Now all I can think about is pizza-n-steak!!!!!

My Pile O' Ingredients...plus or minus...

9c850205.jpg

One of the best fragrances in the world!

76f33212.jpg

Me-n-our Cat-atouille! If I don't set him up with the t.v. tray, he does the watusi around me feet until we both get hurt!
He's a great coach tho...pretty sure he was a chef in another life, and has lots of opinions when it comes to my cooking!
And yes, I cook in my 'jams! As often as possible!!!!!

a57744f3.jpg

Official entry:
Fava Beans Two Ways: deep-fried cherry bomb-spiked falafel nuggets wrapped a house-baked whole wheat pita & topped with house-made lemon/tahini sauce and house-made jalapeno/lemon hot sauce, micro red mustard greens, tomato, red onion, house-pickled turnips, and house-made datil/corn relish & braised ful m'dames swimming in house-made confit of smoked garlic & topped with a drizzle of lemon/tahini sauce, a healthy dollop of house-made fresh scorpion/sumac harissa, and a sprinkling of parsley

Several of these items are staples in my pantry, and were made long in advance of the Throwdown. They appear in the PoL pic already prepared & jarred. I have denoted each with an *.

Falafel
dried brown fava beans
fresh yellow onion, finely chopped
fresh parsley, finely chopped
kosher salt
fresh cherry bomb seeds, ground
garlic powder
baking powder
peanut oil

Soak fava beans in water overnight. Drain, rinse, and peel. Preheat oil to 360ÂşF in a large cast-iron skillet..
Place fava beans in a food processor; finely chop. Add remaining ingredients and process to a thick paste-like consistency.
Spoon mixture into hot oil by the tablespoonful. Fry for about 2 minutes until golden brown.

Lemon/Tahini Sauce
tahini
fresh garlic, crushed
kosher salt
extra-virgin olive oil
fresh lemon juice
Glenburnie Farm brand “Hawk Hollow Heat 2011” Smoked Cayenne Hot Sauce
Glenburnie Farm brand “Hawk Hollow Heat 2010” Smoked Bhut Jolokia Hot Sauce

In a beaker, blend garlic and tahini with an immersion blender until smooth. Add salt.
Add olive oil, lemon juice, and hot sauces. Blend again, adding water if necessary to achieve desired consistency..

Ful M’dames
dried brown fava beans
extra-virgin olive oil
fresh yellow onion, diced
garlic cloves from smoked garlic confit,, crushed
cumin seeds, ground
cardamom pods, ground
dried Tabasco chiles, ground
canned diced Roma tomatoes
kosher salt
black pepper, ground
fresh lemon juice
fresh tomatoes, diced

Soak fava beans in water overnight. Drain & rinse, but do not peel.
Heat oil over medium flame. Sauté the onion until translucent & just starting to turn golden.
Add garlic, a little more oil, and spices to the pan; sauté for 1 minute. Add fava beans, canned tomatoes, and enough water to barely cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cover pot tightly.
Simmer for 3 hours until the beans are extremely tender.
Pour mixture into a mixing bowl. Use a potato masher to mash to a semi-smooth texture, quite a bit chunkier than hummous tahini.
Mix in lemon juice and tomatoes.

Smoked Garlic Confit*
smoked garlic cloves, peeled & whole
extra-virgin olive oil
dried bay leaves, whole
dried cayenne chiles, whole

Place garlic in a small saucepan and cover completely with oil. Cover. Simmer on the absolutely lowest flame on your stove for 8 hours.
Place a bay leaf and a chile in each sterilized pint jar. Fill with garlic mixture, making sure that garlic cloves are completely covered in oil. Lid.

Whole Wheat Pita
instant yeast
warm water (120Âş-130ÂşF)
whole wheat flour
soybean flour
fine sea salt

Preheat stone in oven to 600ÂşF.
In the bowl of a stand mixer bowl fitted with its dough hook, dissolve yeast in water. Add flours and salt; mix and knead 8 minutes at medium-low speed.
Divide dough into equal pieces; hand knead each for 1 minute.
Roll each into a 10-inch circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
Bake on the 600ÂşF stone for 5 minutes.

Jalapeno/Lemon Hot Sauce*
fresh jalapeno chiles, quartered
sugar
pickling salt
balsamic vinegar
fresh lemon juice
fresh orange juice
fresh garlic cloves, peeled & whole
fresh cilantro, roughly torn
green food coloring

In a non-reactive bowl, combine chiles, sugar, salt, and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight or for up to two weeks.
Transfer mixture to a large stockpot. Add lemon juice, orange juice, and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes. Add cilantro.
Transfer to a Vitamix and blend on highest speed until completely liquefied, adding food coloring as necessary to achieve desired color.

Datil/Corn Relish*
champagne vinegar
sugar
pickling salt
dry mustard, ground
turmeric, ground
celery seed
fresh whole kernel corn
fresh Vidalia onion, diced
fresh sweet Italian pepper, diced
fresh datil chiles, finely chopped

Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard, turmeric, and celery seed in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add the corn, onion, and sweet pepper, and chiles. Simmer for 4 minutes.
Pack into sterilized quart jars, process, lid, and let stand for at least two weeks.

Scorpion/Sumac Harissa*
dried bird dung chiles, whole
fresh Trinidad Scorpion chiles, minced
fresh shallots, finely chopped
black cumin seed, toasted
coriander seed, toasted
dried sumac berries, ground
kosher salt

Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chiles. Soak in cold water for 20 minutes; drain.
Place chiles, garlic, black cumin, coriander, sumac, and salt in a food processor; pulse until smooth.
Pack into sterilized pint jars, process, and lid.

Turnip Pickles*
water
distilled white vinegar
pickling salt
fresh turnips, halved and sliced
fresh beet, cubed
fresh garlic cloves, peeled & halved

Bring water, vinegar, and salt to a boil.
Layer turnips, beets, garlic, and chiles in sterilized quart jars. Add hot liquid until it completely covers them.
Lid and let stand for at least one month.

Falafel Assembly
whole wheat pita
micro red mustard greens
pea shoots, coarsely chopped
tomato, sliced & seasoned with kosher salt & ground black pepper
red onion, thinly sliced
turnip pickles
falafel nuggets
datil-corn relish
lemon-tahini sauce
jalapeno-lemon sauce

Place piping-hot pita on a foil-lined plate. In the middle third, add mustard, pea shoots, tomato, onion, and turnip pickles. Top with warm falafel nuggets. Dress with spoons of relish and drizzlings of sauces to taste. Roll into a “burrito” & fasten with foil.

Ful M’Dames Assembly
oil from smoked garlic confit
ful m’dames
scorpion harissa
lemon-tahini sauce
fresh parsley, roughly torn

Pour a pool of oil into a shallow bowl. Microwave until warm, but not sizzling. Spoon in warm ful m’dames. Top with a rivulet of sauce, a healthy dollop of harissa, and a shower of parsley.

official1.jpg
official2.jpg

Oh CHA V-Ray!!! That looks hella good! I still can't see fava beans without thinking of Anthony Hopkins....but I could dive into that dish head-first in a heartbeat!
Can't wait to read your post about the Falafel - it looks so crispy, juicy, and spicy! Be very descriptive....pleez! ;)

wow - you're fast...I'm slow...

Damn I love falafels with a pickled ingredient, this rocks. All homemade, pita too. Nice counter-dish as well.

(You forgot to list chick peas in the list, but it's in the description)

Got my vote so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back