• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was... - TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teaser-Teaser...Lebaneezer!

novtd1.jpg

Sirloin sliced ultra thin, rubbed down with traditional Lebanese 7-spice, modified:

Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, caraway seed (substitutd for fenugreek), and ginger. Mod'd to add garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of sea salt.

novtd2.jpg

Before packing into the fridge for 6 hours, thouroughly bathed in Greek olive oil with rosemarry, garlic, olive, and chiles...this shit is actually from Greece!

novtd3.jpg

Ok, I know that's not a Spicy Kibbie on the way. No bulgar Wheat, Hummmm... I have a feeling that's it's....

And how we got to fettuccine apollo-

The ingredients, I think that's all of them :lol:
197f535b.jpg

chicken getting happy with some scopr powder
2470664d.jpg

sauce, pasta, parm, etc getting happy with some scorp powder
253c342a.jpg

Zuke's gettin' ALLLL kinds of HAPPY!
a55a05ea.jpg

Dinner is served-
ffd62df2.jpg

And at the price they are charging for one dinner - :eek:

0f97fe5f.jpg

I made enough for dinner tonight and 2 lunches tomorrow on half that price!

(so- take that, 13 Coins! :razz: )

I know I have 3 pics in the entry and I didn't actually taste the meal I re-created. It's a DQ. I'm good with that~

Heck, RM, I was expecting to see a HUGE pan after that warm-up...... you're going to NEED IT if you're going to feed all of us with that grub! Very nice!

In fact I found a 35.5 inch Paderno today for only $240.00 on ebay however mom let me use hers for the TD.

The best meal I ever ate has many facets that come together as a whole.

The low down... Tortilla Flats, AZ. My trusty steed Rosinante, a long ride on a parched desert trail, a bunch of renegade bikers, moderate dehydration, some chimichangas and some cerveza.

The most fun ever.

IMGP2244.jpg

IMGP2246.jpg

IMGP2248.jpg

IMGP2254.jpg

IMGP2253.jpg

Frydad: I went to college in Pittsburgh; Primanti's in the Southside was a mainstay for me on drunken weekends on Carson Street. Your picture brought back tons of (hazy) memories and made my mouth start watering like crazy. How dare you not use 2 slices of thick cut bread though ;) You can't beat a towering sandwich and a 22 oz Yuengling Black'n'Tan for under $10!

RM, you definiely need a larger pan! But that's cool you used your mom's pan for the TD. Did you have to sign away anything important to get her to let you use it? :lol: Yummy looking paella.

SoFlo's got some good grub goin on. That pastrami! OH YEA! That's going on my smoker to-do list.

Ela, those meat rolls...do they make them with the little hook things like you crafted them? that is so cool.

I'm trying to catch up, prolly won't make it~

just edited the "getting there" post

Gather 'Round everyone, Gather 'round...
You see that pasta? I mean really look at it! Seriously, LOOK AT IT!
Forget about 13 Coins, over-rated. Good, and nostalgic, but over-rated. Especially when you got THAT PASTA GOIN ON!
That's you thang SL, PASTA, you were born to share pasta with me the world!!!!

And immediately after all that, you have SB with Chimi's! oh lawdy lawdy lawdy!!!!

CJ thinks I am getting Turrets... hic hic s@#t! oh boy! whoop!

yea, creamy pasta backed up with crispy chimis......

(no wonder I gained 40 pounds!)

Thanks, Scovie.

Did CJ post? I prolly misse it. I actually went to work today.... (yuck)

The Best Meal I Ever Ate was Shawarma and Hummus at Byblos in Fort Worth!

LB's Lebaneezer-Pleaser:
Not much of a story here...there's a really good Lebanese place in Fort Worth, called Byblo's...food, hookah, belly dancing, and beers. The food is always awesome, but everytime I go, I can't help but think how good it would be with chiles involved in the process. So...here's my attempt!

Ingredients

1.5# sirloin steak
1 red bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper
3 onions
1 huge-ass garlic head, or a couple smaller ones
3 roma tomatoes
6 baby-bella mushrooms
1 bunch cilantro (or mint)
6 med. potatoes
2 cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
4-5 lemons
1 bag of fresh spinach
Feta Cheese
Pita bread
sesame seeds

Chiles - 5 fresh cayennes, 2 fresh caribbean reds, 6 fresh serranos (these were little, so 2 big ones from the store would do), 2 jalapenos, cayenne powder, crushed/flaked scotch bonnets

Spices - Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, caraway seed (substitutd for fenugreek), ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, cayenne powder, Greek oregano, and Hungarian paprika. Also need 2 chicken-cubes.

Prep:

Dice bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, place in a bowl, set aside
Slice mushrooms, set aside in bowl
Peel garlic, and fine chop in processor, set aside in bowl
Fine chop cilantro, set aside in bowl

Sirloin Shawarma:

1.5 pounds of sirloin sliced ultra thin, rubbed down with traditional Lebanese 7-spice, modified:

Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, caraway seed (substitutd for fenugreek), and ginger. Mod'd to add garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of sea salt. Rub, mix thouroughly and add olive oil before packing tightly into plastic wrap for 6 hours.

Heat wok to as hot as it can possibly get, add olive oil, brown garlic, drop meat and baby-bellas in and sear it all. Remove meat, set aside, and repeat, but sear the majority of the bell/roma mix, leaving some for later. Toss in diced red habaneros. Once seared, drop the meat back in for a few minutes. Squeeze an entire lemon on this, during each step. Serve on toasted pita bread with hummus.

Hummus:

Take a chunk of minced garlic, mix with package of sesame seeds, and a handful of fresh spinach, and toss in an iron skillet heated on medium, with olive oil. after a couple of minutes, crank heat up to high for a couple more minutes. Stir regularly as not to burn the garlic. Remove from heat, and scoop into food processor. Open 1 can of garbanzos, and add the liquid to the mix, then puree. Remove liquid from 2nd can of garbonzos, then dump in both cans in, with a pinch of sea salt, pinch of black pepper, a pinch of caraway seeds, and some dried and flaked scotch bonnets. Squeeze in half to a whole lemon, and add a little more olive oil. Blend well, but take care to leave a little lumpiness. Remove, set in bowl, mix in a fistful of cilantro, cover, and set in fridge for a couple hours.

Batata Harra (Spicy Potatoes):

Heat oil in a cast iron pan and fry potatoes in it until crisp like french fries, remove, then drain. Now, add more olive oil and put onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapenos in it. Saute it for a minute. Then, add potatoes back to it along with salt, pepper, cilantro, and lemon juice. Stir it all up, and cook for a couple more minutes.

Abas Bi Hamoud (lentil/potato/spinach stew):

In a pot, add 4 cups of water, bring to the boil, add lentils and let them cook for about 12 minutes. Then, tear up a bunch of spinach, and add that to the cooked lentils. In a pan, cook the onions, about a dozen slices of mushroom, and garlic with olive oil until light golden then add them to the lentils and spinach. After that you add the potatoes, caraway seeds, allspice, salt, pepper, and let it cook for about 10-12 minutes then you add the lemon juice and the cilantro and shut down the heat.

Here it is...and damn it was GREAT!

novtdplating2-1.jpg

novtdplating1-1.jpg

The Best Meal I Ever Ate was at Tortilla Flat, AZ

On an early November day in Tempe, Arizona (not unlike today) I decided to wake up early and take my jeep, Rosinante, for a trail ride... alone.

Since I had done some pretty scary desert trails alone before, and wasn't quite in the mood to be so intense, I decided that the Apache Trail was mild enough for a visit. After a cup of coffee I loaded up my flask of water. It was the break of dawn... still cool enough out that riding with the windows open brought on a chill that let me know I was still alive. Heading east out of Phoenix on the 60 and breathing in the fresh air when I entered the Tonto National Forest, I knew that the day was going to be good. Hitting Apache Junction I took a left on Arizona road 88. Just after the Goldfield Ghost Town starts the Apache Trail. It's paved up to Tortilla Flat, which is a small town bought out by the Ross family (no relation as far as I know). That's where the pavement ends and the dirt begins... all the way to Theodore Roosevelt Lake Dam. I drove all the way to the dam, then decided to turn around and head back the same way, and stop at the restaurant at Tortilla Flat that I had passed at 9am earlier.

Looking forward to some needed sustenance, I turned into Tortilla Flat around 1pm only to find the entire parking lot full of Harley Davidson bikes and the like. There were some of the hardest, scruffiest, most unkempt peeps I've only seen at truck stops or in movies. But I was out of water, hungry, parched... dammit! I parked and walked in, trying not to look anyone directly in the eye, and sat myself on a horse saddle bar-stool. I ordered a cerveza as I looked over the menu. The burly man next to me that smelled of sweat and cigarettes turned to me and said politely, "You want the Chimichanga." Trying to keep my cool I took a swig of my brew and placed my order.

Chimichanga:
smoked chicken breast with a spice rub of garlic powder, onion powder, ginger powder, salt, and heavy on the paprika. (I added the hab pow for some kick.)

Chop that up and wrap in a flour tortilla with some colbyjack cheese. Deep fry till golden.

Top with salsa, sour cream, and shredded colbyjack.

Refried Beans:
Red beans cooked with onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt, and a lot of love. Then smashed to bits.

Shredded Iceberg lettuce as salad. You smash this with whatever falls out of the chimi.

IMGP2250.jpg

IMGP2258.jpg

Tuns out that the majority of the bikers were doctors and lawyers from in AND out of town. Probably one of the most intimidating tourist stops I've ever been to.

Frydad: I went to college in Pittsburgh; Primanti's in the Southside was a mainstay for me on drunken weekends on Carson Street. Your picture brought back tons of (hazy) memories and made my mouth start watering like crazy. How dare you not use 2 slices of thick cut bread though ;) You can't beat a towering sandwich and a 22 oz Yuengling Black'n'Tan for under $10!

Thanks!!

As for the bread, I had to make it my own, so Cuban bread was appropriate.

I can't get good Italian bread in Miami...but I can get better Cuban bread than what they serve in Havana!

Didn't matter. The sandwich was amazing! Just like I remembered!

Every time I turn around I find someone's posted something I missed. Everything looks really excellent - sorry if I missed commenting on yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back