• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was... - TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry sorry sorry i'll be quiet...
That'll be the day...... :lol: :razz:

aw, you know I luv ya~

half done cooking, waiting for the sauce o reduce, just enough time to snark....I MEAN.... POST!

LunchBox, my first guess was lamb not beef. Looking good, fo sho.

Good job everyone. Everything looks delicious wish I lived closer to some of you. Will be a tough decision but I definitely have a few in mind. Can't wait to see what else is left. Has there been any talks about December TD? I know I know have to finish one before you start to think about another.

megamoo - damn your AUS coins I thought that was .35! I guess that's .15 and .10, we don't have a .15 coin here.

Here's my prep.

Bustin out some Pittsburgh lovin.

Had a great time there one summer in high school. Bustin out some hot Premanti Bros action!!

Homemade Pastrami, rubbed with lots of powdered cayenne (and other stuff!)!

IMG_4261.jpg

IMGP2233.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

IMGP2235.jpg

IMGP2234.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMGP2238.jpg

The Best Meal I Ever Ate Is a Primanti Bro's Pastrami Sammy at Three Rivers Stadium

So here's my story.
When I was in high school, my family went on a road trip to Maine.
We had a nice camper that we pulled behind a Chevy Suburban, and we camped our way up north and back.
We had a family friend who was an infielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates when they played at Three Rivers Stadium.
Along our travels, we stayed a few nights with them and enjoyed preferential treatment at a Pirates home game in their old home.

Well, we sat right behind home plate, and the players' girlfriends were all around us (awesome!).

But the best part of the night was the food...believe it or not.
This place, called Primanti Bros., had a restaurant in the stadium, and they were serving hot sandwiches to an endless line.
There was a catch to their operation. They served coleslaw and french fries RIGHT ON THE SANDWICH!!!
I had the pastrami, and it was AMAZING!!!

I haven't had anything like it since. Even though Three Rivers has been torn down, Primanti Bros. remains a landmark in Pittsburgh.
Well worth a visit!!!

I did my pastrami by smoking a corned beef, rubbed with black pepper, LOTS of cayenne, garlic powder, and allspice.
The fries are double-fried, extra crispy, topped with salt and hab-pow.
The slaw has a touch of mayo, lots of white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
The bread is Cuban Bread (a SoFlo touch), and the tomatoes are vine-ripe.

Amazing!! I know the PaPosse has enjoyed this along the line...hope I did it justice!!!

Best meal I've ever eaten!!!!!!!!!!!

FD

IMGP2240.jpg

IMGP2243.jpg

ps. To end the story, on the last day of our road trip, we were passed by an 18 wheeler, the camper started to fishtail, we lost control, and flipped 2 and a half times onto the side of the road in middle Georgia.
The car was totaled. The camper turned into toothpicks and peach pulp.
But a family of four walked away without a scratch...
God is good!!!

True Story.

The name of your entry will be "The best meal I ever ate was (enter the name/location/description of the original dish)" and then tell us why it was so special to you.
For those that didn't do this I will have to edit your title unless you fix it.

The best meal I ever ate was RocketMama's Paella

I grew up the son of a Career Air Force officer. Through out my father's career we were stationed in numerous countries as well as through out the United States. Now when my mom and dad first married my mom was just a good ole country cook, which is how she learned from my Grandmother. When we were station in France though and she had a chance to attend some Cordon Bleau cooking classes where she discovered a whole new realm of cooking. After that my brother, sister and I were taught that whatever was put on our plate we should take one good bite before saying whether or not we liked it. I guess the first time she made Paella was when I was about 10 years old. We were living in Nancy, France and had been on vacation in Spain for several weeks. She fixed it right from the recipe she had been given and it was the most wonderful thing she had ever made. I Loved It from the first bite. From then on I knew that on my birthday she would fix that wonderful Paella. I know that if I asked her she would give me her recipe however this is my take based on the flavors I remember of that flavorful dish.

Her recipe is not spicy so I am using some of RocketMan’s Jamaica Me Hot Sauce Hot sauce to give it some heat and the flavors go with the dish like they were made for it.

95d53e8a.jpg

52c161d1.jpg

Chicken Breasts
Chorizo
Onion
Garlic
Parsley
Roma Tomatoes
Rice
Chicken Stock
Saffron
Littleneck Clams
Jumbo Shrimp
Lobster Tails
Frozen Peas
Myers Lemon Wedges

A Large Paella pan is necessarty for this dish or a wide shallow skillet

Coat Chicken Breasts with a little salt.

Heat your pan to medium high an d add 2 Tbs EVOO. Saute Chorizo until browned then remove it. Add Chicken breasts and saute till browned on both sides then remove.

Add 1Tbs of EVOO and make a Sofrito by sauteing Onion, Parsley and garlic till the onions are translucent about 2 or 3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and cook another 2 or 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir-fry to coat the rice grains with fat. Add Chicken Stock and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Gentley shake the pan so the rice moves around and cooks evenly.

Add the chicken, chorizo and saffron. Add clams and shrimp and cook for 8 minutes.

Give the Paella a good shake and continue to simmer another 15 minutes till the rice is al dente. Add the Lobster Tails and cook another 5 minutes., When the rice lookes flufy and done turn up the heat to high for 40 Seconds to allow the rice on the bottom to toast to a nice Socrrat.

Serve with Lemon Wedges and Hot sauce.

Cheers,
RM

PS POL was in Teaser.

How I got there. A pictorial presentation of how RocketMama's Paella was prepared.

The Players
3b32666b.jpg

Sauteing
a6434f48.jpg

1f193c1b.jpg

62a699b9.jpg

Lets get some tomatoes and stock in there
e1ce592e.jpg

f3ccb6f8.jpg

Return Meat and add Seafood
a40e652b.jpg

e1c40f8d.jpg

Lobster
22159515.jpg

Lemon and Hot Sauce
bbf7d667.jpg

Cheers and happy TDin Y'all,
RM

PS: FloPo Fo Sho!!!

Wow, Great Paella RM! I knew as soon as I saw your teaser the other day with Chorizo, the pan, and seafood that it had to be Paella. Turned out looking great. Good Luck!

Matt

Wow RM, I knew I liked you. Most awesome story too.

Yeah MGOLD, Whenever I see Chicken and clams anywhere together, I think Paella!!!!!

Salsalady's The Best Meal I NeverAte- was Fettuccine Apollo from 13 Coins in Seattle

The Story-
Hubby and I were on vacation in Hawaii, Kauai, a couple years after Hurricane Iniki. It was early December and the weather was, of course, beautiful! After enjoying a few rummy-fruity drinks on the lanai, we decided to go out for dinner. We went to a little Italian restaurant somewhere in Lawai or Kalaheo on the west side of the island.

When the waitress came to take our order, Hubby asked for Fettuccine Apollo.
waitress-"Fettuccine Apollo? Do you mean Fettuccine Alfredo?"
Hubby- "No, Fettuccine Apollo. You know, like they make at 13 Coins."
(now, I did know that 13 Coins is a high-end restaurant in Seattle, but I've never eaten there, and didn't have a clue what Fettuccine Apollo was)
waitress- "do you know what's in it?"
Hubby-" chicken, cream, some other stuff..."

Well we determined they did not know what Fettuccine Apollo was or how 13 Coins made it, so we ordered from their menu and had a delightful dinner.

When we left the restaurant, it was after dark. I was driving the convertible with the top down, hubby was sitting up on the trunk of the car in the back seat. As we were driving down the road, feeling the warm air in our hair, smelling the sweet, damp vegetation, seeing all the beautiful Christmas lights on the houses and palm trees, a song came on the radio. Now, every time I hear that song, I think of the lights and "smell" in my mind the humid air, and remember Fettuccine Apollo.

I did find out that 13 Coins does have a dish called Fettuccine Alla Pollo-
0f97fe5f.jpg

So, my love, even though we've never been to 13 Coins, here's my tribute to Fettuccine Apollo, the wonderful time we had in Hawaii, and all the great times we share.

1d385f01.jpg

ffd62df2.jpg

Ingredients-
fettuccine pasta, cream, butter, chicken, zucchini, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, smoked scorpion powder from Justaguy, parmesan cheese (original recipe had no heat, onions, or garlic listed, but I have to think there was at least garlic and onion in the restaurant version), splash of chicken broth, olive oil for sauteing the chicken-
Side salad- romaine lettuce, caesar dressing, tomato, purple onion, parmesan
Sourdough roll

Step 1- saute chicken and onion in olive oil with a little bit of butter, salt, smoked scorpion powder and a little bit of pepper (sorry, geeme). Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 2- melt 1 stick of butter in pan, add red bell peppers and garlic. Saute on medium (not too hot or you'll burn the garlic) until peps and garlic are just cooked.
Step 3- add a splash of chicken broth and a quart (Yes, that's right...a QUART) of heavy cream. Reduce until nicely thick, add some scorpion powder, the cooked chicken and onions, the cooked pasta, parmesan and at the last second, toss in the zucchini. Serve immediately with a salad, fresh baked roll, and a delightful Chianti.

I have no idea if this even remotely resembles the 13 Coins dish, and it's been 20 years since Hubby was there. All I know is, it was rich, creamy, had crunchy zucchini, it was "not mild"!, and we all enjoyed it, even the 'Kid!

:cheers:

Heck, RM, I was expecting to see a HUGE pan after that warm-up...... you're going to NEED IT if you're going to feed all of us with that grub! Very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back