• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was... - TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
SoFlo coming up. Just did a halftime run for the ingreeds.

Impy, I've been to that restaurant. The one that can see all the way to Sedona... up by that haunted hotel. All their food is good.

Impy, Your cell phone pictures are not crappy! That one pic of the gooey Brie might just be the "Best Pic in Show". Beautifully cooked meat, oh man that looks good.

Yeah Ela, we don't want you looking like a "cooking beginner"! Are you kidding? We've seen your "beginner" skills... hahahahahahahaha

TB, anything Chorizo, and queso.... hmmmm You are makin' it tough.

JT, one word... Elegant.

The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was
LAHMAJUN- LAHMACUN- TURKISH PIZZA

I was born and raised in a town known in Europe as European Jerusalem. Many conquerors came to this little town and brought with them their culture, cuisine, architecture etc. The Ottomans came in 14[sup]th[/sup] Century and stayed there for another 5.They left us with many great recipes and for the first time in my life I had Lahmajun while visiting Turkey back in early 1980s. Kapali Carsi, one of the World's biggest and oldest indoor baazar/Mall has over 4000 stores and over 50 covered streets that sells pretty much everything. Every time I went there I made sure to visit one of the food courts that sell Lahmajun. I would sit by the fountain on Bayezid Square listening to Catholic's and Greek Orthodox Churches' bells going off at noon with Mujezin's calls from the Bayezid Mosque calling for a mid day prayer. At a young age I fell in love with the Turkish culture, landscape, cuisine and made sure to visit Turkey on regular basis. Maybe because of the frequent visits to Turkey I never attempt to make Lahmajun myself until today. I still remember the taste, smell and texture first time I tried it. Down the street from Bayezid Square tucked in between small streets was a shop where I would get my sweet tooth fix with stuffed apples. My late mother made fabulous stuffed apples which today I went by memory to recreate the recipe that was almost forgotten. Of course our Lunch would not be complete without soup. :)

LAHMAJUN WITH AYRAN:

Pastry:

Flour
Salt
Olive oil
Active dry yeast

Filling:

Hamburger meat
Onion
Sweet pepper
Salt and black pepper
Kackaval cheese

Garnish:

Parsley
Tomato
Scallions
Cucumber
Sereano pepper
AYRAN:

Plain Yogurt
Sparkling water
Lemon juice
Salt

STUFFED APPLES

Yellow sweet apples
Walnuts
Raisins
Sugar
Dark rum
Lemon
Whipping cream

BEEF SOUP:

Bone in beef
Celery stalk
Carrots
Tomato
Potato
Parsley
Onion slice
Turkish tomato soup pasta
Salt
Black pepper

DSC02611.jpg

DSC02609.jpg

It's the same picture twice, but the quarter magically jumped!!! How did you do that????????
Food looks awesome!

So I'm making a classic Pittsburgh tradition. One I had as a child, and still remember to this day.
I'm making my own pastrami, an adventure in it's own. When it's done in a little bit, I can finish the meal!

IMGP2224.jpg

Yeah Ela, we don't want you looking like a "cooking beginner"! Are you kidding? We've seen your "beginner" skills... hahahahahahahaha

Oh shush :lol: All day I felt like someone running on old fumes....not the booooooozeeeeeeeeeeee one, but still managed to put a wrong PoL in my first picture. :rofl: I have fixed,kind of...hope would count. :lol:
See how JT's elegant table got me out of normal cooking reasoning? :lol:

Here is a little teaser for you to see how it was difficult for me to even try to attempt to be in a TD caboose.

The soup

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02592.jpg

Lahmajun

DSC02585.jpg

DSC02597.jpg

DSC02598.jpg

Stuffed apples

DSC02586.jpg

SoFlo straddlin the European-Jerusalem masterpiece with our tomfoolery!!!!

Simultaneous throwdownage in the Frydad kitchen!!!!!!!

(pass me a beer!)

For cryin' out loud SoFlo..quit the teasin' and start the pleasin'. Get a pic of Bear, a beer, a chile, and a banana leaf up pronto!

For cryin' out loud SoFlo..quit the teasin' and start the pleasin'. Get a pic of Bear, a beer, a chile, and a banana leaf up pronto!

They are finally making the manatee steaks they have so often promised. That takes time. Give 'em a break!

PS I hope I won't be disqualified because I did not have one location/restaurant/story to explain my best meal.

PS I hope I won't be disqualified because I did not have one location/restaurant/story to explain my best meal.
I like the collaboration part, personally. For me, it acknowledges the reality that most restaurants do some excellent things, but still have something to work on. Like my visit to Robert Irvine's Eat! this summer - the chicken skewers were just meh, but everything else was exceptional. You took the time to think about what was the best of the best, and put together the pieces in a way that seems to have melded flavors very well.

Wow I knew I should have kept up with this one from the door. Playing catch up has me out of drool. Voting will be hard this time.

I'M HERE!

already have the pasta cooked, gotta make one quick post then I'm kickin' it into high gear!

I wasn't sure what to use for the chile factor until I checked the mail today. I don't check mail every day and GUESS WHAT? A SURPRIZE! Now I have the HEAT~ Thanks Justaguy!

d01d2b16.jpg

starting off with a rummy-fruity drink. Now Scovie, quit bugging me so I can cook! :cool:

Teaser-Teaser...Lebaneezer!

novtd1.jpg

Sirloin sliced ultra thin, rubbed down with traditional Lebanese 7-spice, modified:

Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, caraway seed (substitutd for fenugreek), and ginger. Mod'd to add garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of sea salt.

novtd2.jpg

Before packing into the fridge for 6 hours, thouroughly bathed in Greek olive oil with rosemarry, garlic, olive, and chiles...this shit is actually from Greece!

novtd3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back