• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! The Best Meal I Ever Ate Was... - TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impy, You'd better post, I know you got skills, and Cj loves you...
Thanks for the nice words, and I am an egg addict too, you see those 5 PERFECTLY poached eggs?
That's what I'm talkin' about!

The Best Meal I Ever AteAnd YOU are IMPAIRED SL... I saw the fumes you were breathing today..... :smile:FD4, :bow:
Thanks, amigo. I'm too tired to do free-association text-image-wtfdtm-association.

Yea, you "saw" the fumes from that 30# of 7 Pots.....I'm off wine-ing... Chops to salsakid for jumping in and helping Mum. My Trouper!

hope you've stopped coughing by now :(

SL, I'm pretty sure I "saw" fumes/powder/gasses/flamible-airbourne-liquid, with my EYES!
I also "saw" the 60 lbs. source....
If I had a camera.....XOXOXOX SL, BUT.... I WANT A CROWN!

BRING.... IT..... BESTY! hahahahhhahaa

Oh, no worries.

I'm going nativity on yo' .............(um, not sure how to post language from Pulp Fiction here....)

you get the idea, and the ingredient, and the where......only thing missing - - -

The REST of the Story!

I'm Salsalady, Good Night!

I had planned to break out the big guns and do an entire fondue feast......(which, by the way, IS the best thing ANYONE has ever eaten)....

....BUT I must have angered the Throwdown Gods because I ended up having to work most of the day yesterday and didn't feel like going to the grocery. Retta and I ended up eating corndogs and watching old Three Stooges episodes.

You all dodged a bullet this month. ;)

I had planned to break out the big guns and do an entire fondue feast......(which, by the way, IS the best thing ANYONE has ever eaten)....

....BUT I must have angered the Throwdown Gods because I ended up having to work most of the day yesterday and didn't feel like going to the grocery. Retta and I ended up eating corndogs and watching old Three Stooges episodes.

You all dodged a bullet this month. ;)

For my SIL's bachelorette party we went to a fancy fondue place. Man oh man that stuff was soooooo good.

And I just had a flash of brilliance! The Strouds burger was simply the best BURGER I've ever had! Best meal? Heading to the store now :).

I was going to do a simple gnocchi. I ate it many years ago in a revolving restaurant which was on the top floor of a skyscraper just at sunset with my then soon to be wife. I had heard the dish was famous at that restaurant so I gave it a go. It was freaken AMAZING. It wasn't spicy but the flavour was incredible. Fast forward a few years and this week I did a test dish and it was fairly ordinary lookng and tasted dull. Don't know how they made theirs so exceptional but I couldn't do it justice.
Plus the memory of the event has been tainted by the evil ex factor. :hell:

So instead...

TBMIEA is Tandoori Chicken with Mango Salsa

I have recently been eating more food with ginger, lime and coriander, and this dish was made for me only last week by a lovely young lady. :D Only made one salsa before in my life and it was avocado. This mango salsa she made absolutely blew me away. I spiced my version up a few notches but it turned out basically the same.

First marinate chicken pieces in Tandoori paste. (I have made my own from scratch before but was stretched for time)
For the salsa chop up and mix:
Mango
Red onion
Cucumber
Lime juice
Corinader leaves
Ginger
Garlic
(supposed to be capsicum but I used a few red chillies)
Cook the rice and fry up the chicken.
Also mixed some cucumber and chopped basil leaves into yoghurt to add.
Admin note: PoL pic (too many pics, have to make this one a link) http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/megamoo777/tandoorimangosalsa001.jpg
tandoorimangosalsa003.jpg

tandoorimangosalsa004.jpg

I only took 4 pictures because I was quite hungry at this point!
Very tasty :)

Well after JT throw me out of my cooking loop with his gorgeous meal I had to change some things over here to not look as a total cooking beginner. :lol:

Here is my teasing entry and some pics of what is coming after. ;)

DSC02575.jpg

DSC02574.jpg

DSC02590.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

The best meal I ever ate was seared steak sliders with brie at a restaurant in Jerome, AZ.

Ingredients:

Large sirlion steak
Wheat rolls
Brie cheese
Extra hot horseradish sauce
Worchestershire sauce
French fried onions

Prep and cooking time: About 20 minutes. Prep method was pretty straightforward. I just seared and cut the steak and assembled the little sammiches.

Done!!:

IMAG0788.jpg

Action shot:

IMAG0791.jpg

Just like I remember them. Oh! The story! The story isn't as interesting as the town itself. It's an old mining community that is now mostly inhabited by old hippies and people there to run the touristy shops. My parents retired in Sedona, AZ. Jerome is about an hour drive up the mountain. We go there every time I go to visit my folks. I'd like to say that there was some divine intervention that lead me to this particular meal, but in reality my parents just wanted to eat there (I can't even remember the name of the restaurant) and this is what I happened to pick from the menu. And I'm sure glad I did! As always, pardon the crappy cell phone pics :).

Alright ya'll...I'm goin' in!

Some many best thang's I ever ate but can't dupe many of them. One that I can though would have to be my dear sweet mothers meatloaf. She made it often as it was relatively cheap to do and pop and all 5 of us kids loved it. The only addition to her recipe is the addition of chile's. Here 'tis ya'll...

The teaser...

IMG_3252.jpg

Gettin' down on it..

IMG_3253.jpg

Ready for the oven. I'm bo-hunk so paprika is mandatory.

IMG_3254.jpg

Chipotle queso. How did this make it in here?

IMG_3256.jpg

Have mercy! Just look at that awesome crust!

IMG_3258.jpg

Reckon this pic says it all folks.

IMG_3263.jpg

Final presentation, ingredient list and methodology to follow...

So far, the food is lookin' GREAT.

But so as to make sure a full HALF of you guys aren't DQ'd - go re-read the rules and fix your posts! So far I've found two with no proof of life, one with the wrong proof of life, a couple with more pics in the final presentation than are allowed, and one has no clear title. Yeah..... I've take more than my share of pics without PoL...... :lol:

Yes please fix your posts geeme say 2 are missing PoL, and I see two wrong, $1, and .35. Unfortunately this would be an auto-disqualification if not addressed.

Jay needs to fix his title. Some have too many pics.

The Best Thing I Ever Ate Was....

Mom's Chorizo Cheese Meatloaf

It was no easy task for mom & pop to raise all 5 of us kids and there were certainly some lean times but mom always managed to feed us very well with what was on hand. Chuck roast, goulash, chicken and dumplings, stuffed cabbage, anything hungarian with a liberal dose of tex-mex, you name it. Mom made a variety of things well but my favorite to this day remains mom's meatloaf and still is THE BEST THING I EVER ATE.

The Meatloaf

Ingredients:

Ground beef
Chorizo
Onion
Garlic
Fresno chile
Eggs
Oatmeal
S&P
Smoked Spanish paprika

Method:

Break up the meats in a bowl and add diced chile, onions, garlic, etc. Everything but the paprika. Blend well but don't over handle it. Shape into a loaf, tight but still loose and place in a lightly oiled cast iron pan. Rub with the smoked paprika, cover with foil and place in a preheated 425f oven for about 1 1/2 hours, removing the foil and uncovering the last 20 minutes. Along the way add some whole 'peno and fresno chile's.

The Queso

Ingredients:

Butter
Garlic
Chipotle sauce
Flour
Cream
Shredded cheddar cheese
S&P

Method:

In a medium heat sauce pan combine butter and garlic and saute lightly and then adding the chipotle sauce. Stir often and work in some flour to make a roux. Stir often and cook the roux for at least 15 minutes. Add cream and bring to simmer stirring often. At simmer, add shredded cheddar cheese and season with S&P to taste. Reduce to warm and set aside for plateup.

The Tate's

Ingredients:

New potato's
Smoked Spanish paprika
S&P
Olive oil

Method:

Large dice 3-4 new tate's and par boil until about 1/2 done. Drain and rinse in cold water until cool. Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, paprika and S&P blending well. Place in a lightly oiled cast iron pan and into the oven on the rack below the meatloaf. Check occasionally and turn with a spatula until done with a nice crisp developed.

Oatmeal in the meatloaf acts a great neutral binder not only holding everything together with the eggs but also to absorb much of the fat and juices and keeping the meat moist. One other key to this great meatloaf is getting a proper crust developed on the outside. The meat can stand on its own and is fantastic. Mom always served it with potato's of some kind so had to do that. The queso was more an after thought and just took the whole shebang to a whole 'nuther level of BOOM SHAKA LAKA!!

Echele chingaso!

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

TB needs the correct title, and story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back