• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Def-Konichi Pho

This is my take on the traditional Vietnamese Beef Noodle soup called Pho (Fuh), with a kick from Defcon's Asian-Style additive called Konichi.

Ingredients:

Sirloin steak very thinly sliced
Asian thin noodles such as Udon, or Somen. (Typical Pho is poured over rice noodles, but as I will be eating a lot of leftovers I used a thicker noodle that can be reheated)
Thinly sliced red onion
Green onion
Bamboo shoots
Bean sprouts
Thai bird peppers
Mushrooms
Cilantro
Thai basil
Ginger
Garlic
Black Pepper
Star Anise
Cinnamon
Beef Stock
Fish Sauce
Lime
Def-Konici

I ground the spices and mixed them with a little of my homemade garlic bhut oil to form a paste. I then heated a little more of the oil in a pan and added the red onion and the mushrooms to sautee. Sea salt and pepper, then the paste. Cooked that for a couple minutes before adding the garlic, ginger, peppers, bamboo shoots, and bean sprouts and fish sauce. Next 8 cups of beef stock. Brought that to a boil, added the beef, green onion and the noodles. Turn off and add the lime, Thai basil and cilantro. Def-Konichi to taste. Enjoy.

100_9724.jpg

100_9725.jpg

100_9726.jpg

100_9727.jpg

100_9728.jpg

I think I just learned what Pho is. I don't think I've ever had it but that looks pretty darn good there JT, espescially knowing that it's HOT.
But honestly, I couldn't take my eyes off your knife. Is that a long handled Santoku? XOXOXOXO
In my world, knives come 3rd.

edit: P.S. Ela started an ethic food thread around here somewhere, FYI

I think I just learned what Pho is. I don't think I've ever had it but that looks pretty darn good there JT, espescially knowing that it's HOT.
But honestly, I couldn't take my eyes off your knife. Is that a long handled Santoku? XOXOXOXO
In my world, knives come 3rd.
edit: P.S. Ela started an ethic food thread around here somewhere, FYI

Yeah, I found Ela's thread after I posted this one. Yes that is a Santoku. I have its big brother too...

100_9730.jpg

Sexy Bitches......

Cutco's are pure awesomeness. Great Steel-+-Value-+-coolness.

You're getting awefully close to Godliness there JT.
Maybe if I ever get to your neck of the woods, you'll LET me put an edge on those bitches for you, (not that you can't, I just love the sound of steel on clay)... and I'll even cook!
Thanks for the pics,
and now I want to go cut something, maybe start with a bhut j?

Very cool Jay. Just as a heads up, the Def-Konichi is being discontinued so as to make room for something rather large on the horizon. We've only got a few bottles left. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Back