• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Oktoberfest Throwdown III

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's some teaser pics.....

this got posted earlier, but it didn't want to feel left out - marinating meat for Sauerbraten

7f405b46.jpg

making spaetzle - "Oma" style...

b859f6b6.jpg

9daeb9cc.jpg

red cabbage for days....

e4dd217b.jpg

b6bfe84a.jpg

more to come...just working on the finishing touches!

G that does look amazing. And no black pepper. Hmmm... who woulda thunk it? Looking forward to CJ's entry. You guys are making a lot of good stuff. I am such a loser.

Hey.

This is a tequila fueled entry!

Been drinkin the stuff for 4 hours, with beer and wine, so lets see what the heck happens...

1.jpg

So I'm making a pork roast with stuffed potato dumplings, red cabbage and a apple/cranberry tart roll. (I'll put all the Germanic names in the final post if that wrks?)

2.jpg

This is a topping I make for over the dumplings and cabbage....bacon, green onions, red onion, garlic and thai peppers with a little bit of yellow fatalii....
3.jpg

Slobbering down some german infiuenced tequila with cranberries.....
5.jpg

Making the tart fruit base....apples and cranberries.....this is flambe'd with tequila, it doesn't have much sweetness 'cos it's going to be a base for the red cabbage, yee ha.
6.jpg

Making the filling for the dumplings, more bacon, green onion, garlic and feta cheese..etc

7.jpg

This is going to be my base for the red cabbage.
8.jpg

Now all the goodness comes out of the pork roast....the carrots, onions, thai peppers, garlic and pan juices....goes into the blender then into the sautee pan with mushrooms and beer for a deelish gravy...
9.jpg

So me dumplings are made....stuffed with bacon and feta cheese and green onion, boiled then pan fried in butter and OO.....
10.jpg

That's 10 up....BRB

Ok....last few teasers for the night....

So think of this as providing some crunch to the dish, a sort of apple sauce/pork thing....you'll see it in the final plating....
11.jpg

So now ...yum.....the roast pork is sliced and covered in mushroom gravy....the dumpling is split open and the feta mix is drooling out, the tart crisp served with the red cabbage and the onion bacon mix slathered over the top....oooooo...:eek:

1.jpg

More to come....

I can finish this tomorrow right?? it's been extended through monday?

Gotta go watch the Packer game, sober up then come back tomorrow and straighten this crap out?!! :lol:

Oh noooo rooze in in... look out!

Yeah, Marcie..... we see you lurking! C'mon! I'm maybe half German and managed to get something in - where's YOURS?

chica Marcie, you have until Monday...

do-it-do-ti-do-it~~~~

Juju's Sauer-Crocken

Sauerbraten, Crock Pot style

Marinated rump roast for as long as I could (about 36 hrs)
Marinade:

beer
red wine vinegar
onions
lemon, sliced w/ peel
whole cloves
bay leaves
peppercorns (sorry Geeme!)
sea salt & shuga
and the juju factor...home grown Hawaiian Sweet Hot chiles!

Popped into crock pot sometime this morning...things were a little hazy...and cooked until the house was nice and fragrant!
For the gravy, I removed roast, strained broth, and added crumbled gingersnaps. Cooked until thick and creamy.

Red Savina Spaetzle:

flour, water, eggs, garlic salt, and my beloved red savina powder.
Boiled the dumplings in beef broth w/ Texas Creek spicy worchestershire sauce, then pan fried in butta.

Flamin' Red Hot Cabbage:

bacon grease
red cabbage
jalapenos
caraway seeds
red wine vinegar
red wine too!
beef broth
bacon bits
worch. sauce

...all washed down with a very special, Limited Edition Pilsner! ;)

48f44d32.jpg

73b2960c.jpg

Juju that's amazing! The 'ole gineger snaps, I've heard of that.

Looks simply delish! I love sauerbraten with red cabbage... this one is a winner.

Rock it CJ!!!!!
Great looking dish.
Lots of meats and gravies on this one!!

Explain that beer. I've never seen it.
It looks like Wal-Mart's answer to German beer's answer to busch light.

Which means awesome.

LOL - Frydad - you don't remember what I mocked up last year?

COOL CJ!

Here's to a good time last year!
schlusselstein.jpg

Chile Juju- AWESOME!

Schlusselstein Licht???? :?: Does Hank's carry that or did you get it at WallyWorld?

CJ has hands down the most authentic german cuisine out of everyone

if you check out my europe thread, i actually ate a meal EXACTLY like that one when I was at Clauster Andechs in Munich

CJ has hands down the most authentic german cuisine out of everyone

if you check out my europe thread, i actually ate a meal EXACTLY like that one when I was at Clauster Andechs in Munich

Thanks Wheebz. I should have had her dedicate it to my Dad. He was from Abenburg Germany (just South of Nuremburg). 1935-2010. He taught CJ alot about German cuisine, and I grew up eating it.
I think she actually got along better with him than I did... So what you said actually means a lot.

I'm stuffed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back