• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Oktoberfest Throwdown III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menu-
veal cordon bleu
mashed potatoes
purple cabbage slaw
mushroom and onion gravy
schpfnudeln for dessert

prep-n-stuff-

The Slaw-
purple cabbage, onion, carrot, apple, minced red jalapeno and orange hab, mayo, balsamic vinegar, S&P, celery salt, garlic
I prepped the salad first and it was going to set for a while so I put the apples in the dressing to keep them from turning brown and then right before serving, tossed the dressing with the veggies.

05b39cca.jpg

e68c53de.jpg

The Gravy-
mushrooms, onions, more red jalapenos and habs, all getting happy in butter. Made a roux with flour, added cream and stock, simmer, simmer, simmer....MMMmmmm!

6498fe3a.jpg

8505ce32.jpg

The Nudeln-
mashed potatoes, cinnamon, Peruvian white Habanero powder. Made little dough logs, fried in More Butter, and then coated with cinnamon sugar.

3a6aab81.jpg

5884c5f4.jpg

Cordon Bleu-
I don't know if this is the "proper" way to do a cordon bleu, I've never done this before. But that's what the TD's are about, trying something new, doing something different. So here's how I did a Veal Cordon Bleu-
one veal scalopini on the bottom, a few pieces of Black Forest Ham, smoked gouda and a generous sprinkle of Red Savina habanero powder.

06644c1c.jpg

I put the other piece of veal on top and pounded the edge to seal it up.
df72958e.jpg

Dredged it in flour, egg and seasoned bread crumbs, (S&P, garlic, and Red Sav powder)
0d4d6e28.jpg

and then into the cast iron hot oil-
362126b6.jpg

to be cont'd~~~

PS- "Schupfnudeln, Bitches!" xoxoxo

Keeping it simple this time.....
tease.jpg

Well, given that's probably about half the ingredients, that is......

Lovin' the start of this!

I think geeme is joking. Half a beer can be swigged in 2 seconds. Why try to save and have it be flat?

I think geeme is joking. Half a beer can be swigged in 2 seconds. Why try to save and have it be flat?

Nah - you forget: I'm a chick who prefers things like wine and tequila...... and Glad Press & Seal wrap really does manage to keep it from going flat even a couple days later. ;)

Salsalady's No-Planning Oktoberfest Dinner-

Well, I didn't have any plans of entering this month until this morning when I saw all the choices THP posted. So I cruised through the options, picked out a couple that looked good and off I went to the store. The Results-

Veal Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes and mushroom/onion gravy
Red Cabbage Slaw
Cinnamon-sugar coated Schupfnudeln for dessert
Oktoberfest Beer from the local pub

Red Cabbage Slaw-
purple cabbage, onion, red bell pepper, carrot, apple, minced red jalapeno and orange hab, mayo, balsamic vinegar, S&P, celery salt, garlic.

Mushroom and Onion Gravy-
Saute mushrooms, onions, more red jalapenos and habs in butter, add flour to make a roux, add cream and stock, simmer, simmer, simmer....MMMmmmm!

Mashed potatoes-
cook spuds, and mash...(duh)

Schupfnudeln-
mashed potatoes, flour, cinnamon, Peruvian white Habanero powder. Made little dough logs, fried in More Butter, and then coated with cinnamon sugar.

Veal Cordon Bleu-
I don't know if this is the "proper" way to do a cordon bleu, I've never done this before. But that's what the TD's are about, trying something new, doing something different. So here's how I did a Veal Cordon Bleu-
one veal scalopini on the bottom, layer a few pieces of Black Forest Ham, smoked gouda, a generous sprinkle of Red Savina habanero powder, and top with another piece of veal. I pounded the edges together to make a pocket. Dredge the meat pocket in flour, egg and seasoned bread crumbs and then into a hot oil to fry until golden brown.

b9e36794.jpg

bcc99d5b.jpg

PROST!

Nah - you forget: I'm a chick who prefers things like wine and tequila...... and Glad Press & Seal wrap really does manage to keep it from going flat even a couple days later. ;)
:rofl: Is your pantry full of half Fig Newtons in foil? Those cookies are pretty filling. :rofl:

Salsalady's No-Planning Oktoberfest Dinner-

Well, I didn't have any plans of entering this month until this morning when I saw all the choices THP posted. So I cruised through the options, picked out a couple that looked good and off I went to the store. The Results-

Veal Cordon Bleu with mashed potatoes and mushroom/onion gravy
Red Cabbage Slaw
Cinnamon-sugar coated Schupfnudeln for dessert
Sa weet!

Right on, geeme! The chicks are stepping it up early.

Come on, boys! Less talky, more posty!

:cool:
I'm done cooking for the night, time to :beer:

edit- lots of posting going on.

THP-half fig newtons ??? :rofl:

Thanks for the comments, geeme and THP.

...The chicks are stepping it up early.

Come on, boys! Less talky, more posty!

Didn't Rihanna make a song about this? Or was it Justin Bieber?

Chris Brown has an unreleased track about SoFlo slapping a tattoo... I think it's called " TD Tramp Stamp", could be wrong though. We just signed something without reading it... our lawyers HATE us.

What's Bear doing on Jay Leno?

True story.

OOoo, habbyheat, you had me at butter~~~

fyi, your pic posted fine but a little small. Check your photobucket settings. You can set the image size to upload at "large" and if the pic is too big, this forum will resize it smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back