• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

DWC Grow 5 Gallon Totes Going Good

So I started a grow a while back in 16oz party cups, just transplanted these into 5 gallon totes with net pots and hydroton a few days back.

9-5-4.jpg

9-5-1.jpg

9-5-3.jpg
Trinidad Scorpion Butch-T

9-5-6.jpg
Brain Strain lost a leaf on transplant, otherwise looking good

9-5-5.jpg
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

9-5-2.jpg
Dorset Naga

These have been in nutrients a few days, and the roots are pulling into the water nicely. Running it around 700ppm, and 5.8-6.1 pH

Lookisng good, what type of nutes are you using and keep us updated and i didnt have luck with my last dwc grow but i cave up on it half wya throught.

I was a noob so I went with the basic flora series general hydroponics.

I will be getting Jungle Juice when I run out, I hear its cheaper and better formulated.

It seems to be taking well. I'm hoping to keep them generally the same size, if they grow close to the same. I should have grown the same kind, I wasn't thinking.

I'm hoping that in a few water changes when the roots are fully growing into the nutrients, they will get huge and be very strong.

I'm all ready noticing them darkening up, and getting new growth pretty fast.

My outdoor bhuts in 5 gallon buckets really took off with the roots right around week 2, now its practically a head of hair.

My airstone is small I'm changing to a 14" one, I just measured it will fit.

sorry hard to get proportions good on size... see first 2 pics.. 1 pic 5th all, 2nd pic.. 7th all..

they are under a cheap 4' shop light with 2 fluorescent daylight bulbs 6500k, REALLY CLOSE

here is the update

Last pictures were 5th and new is 7th. Side/by/side

9-5-1.jpg

9-7-1.jpg

9-5-3.jpg
9-7-2.jpg
Trinidad Scorpion Butch-T

9-5-6.jpg
9-7-3.jpg
Brain Strain

9-5-5.jpg
9-7-4.jpg
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

9-5-2.jpg
9-7-5.jpg
Dorset Naga

I really like the totes. I've seen this done with 5 gal buckets. The "other" growers call them bubble buckets. Are the totes completely light proof? I would drop a strong flash light into one (empty of course) in a completely dark room. ANY LIGHT that gets through will cause algae growth which can lead to much larger problems (fungus gnats, disease, and all sorts of nasty bacteria) Covering your totes with aluminum tape will block out any and all light. My greenhouse propagation tables water gets changed weekly. We don't have to worry about our main nutrient tank as much water level is controlled by a float valve and we use a Nutri-Dose MK2 to control the nutrient levels and pH. If you ever start to see a little algae build up I would light proof everything, change the water and shock the whole thing with H2O2. Hope to see a wonderful grow come from this, very nice looking plants.

These are 5 gallon totes I think there pretty light proof but not completely. I will see on the first water change. I'm not to worried they are growing like crazy. I will wrap them in foil tape next time I change the water. I noticed to that I had the ppm wrong. I'm running 900 on these not 700. Bit its working well

Your setup looks great. Right around the time when the stem splits into nodes, they are going to start drinking like crazy. Good luck with your grow.

"they are under a cheap 4' shop light with 2 fluorescent daylight bulbs 6500k, REALLY CLOSE"

jesting dude,
it appears you are running the lights at about 18 inches from the plant tops

really close is at about one eighth of an inch above where the plant can grow to

and get scorched before you remember to raise the lights. :woohoo:

please try to get them lights closer still

{really close IMHO also means a just few RCH above where the growth tips scorch

with flourescenterators i guess it is about three quarter of an inch

with a HID maybe about eight inches.}

you can run a timer and try to get max production by

influencing and monkeying with the length of day (eighteen hours on and six hours

off has been tried with some positive results)your results may vary

I raised the lights for the pictures, I have them so close you couldn't put a cunt hair pinky between them.. LOL.

To get pictures I raise the lights way up, because its drowns out the photos.

Don't worry I have done my research on how close they can be.

thanks for allowing my unit of measurement and being understanding

you may try a few of them compact bulbs as they are easier to allow for

individual plants growth spurts and such :eek:

it may be easier to raise and lower them {the light bulbs} and leave the reservoirs on the floor

again, thanks for playing along with me

please keep to updating and good growing :dance:

Back