• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Stuck seedcap

Hello,

currently, I´m trying to germinate a few seeds using the paper towel method in a sealed jar. The first one to germinate was the Red 7 Pot seed about 10-11 days ago. I planned to leave the sprout in the jar with 100% humidity till the cotyledons clear the seedcap, but I think, the seedcap is stuck. The stem continues to grow, but the end of the cotyledons is in the seedcap with no progession whatsoever in the past 3 days.

What should I do? Wait more or try to gently free the cotyledons?....I´m a bit afraid to try to apply force....that thing is so weak and gentle....

Any suggestions would be appretiated! Here is a pic:

Stuckseedcap.jpg

Thats not really stuck in the sense of dread "my seedcap is stuck" moment, where the cotyledons are fully in the seed cap.

The cotyledons are out and only the tips of them are in the cap, so should be easy to pull it off, at the worst you'd just lose the tips, nothing major.

Use tweezers gripping the edge/rim of the seed (like if you were trying to squeeze the flat round seed into a sphere), and gently pull.

You also need to get that seedling into some sunlight; normally it will shed the seed coat; the power of a sprout is awesome; give it a chance. "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." (Nietzsche)
Cheers... :beer:

Bye the way; one reason I like putting 1 seed in a thumb pot X however many seeds you germinate is that I can treat each sprout individually.
This gives great flexibility in how one handles each sprout.

That little dude needs light and to be planted now into soil or rockwool cube or whatever your planning.

If the sprout is fully stuck in the seedcap with no sign of leaves, that is a big problem. But in your picture the cotyledons are out and only the tips are stuck. It will shed the cap on its own.

You could even cut that seed cap off with the tips of the leaves as well and the plant would still continue to grow. But the advice given is correct. Leave it alone and it will get free either by pulling out of the cap or the tip of one of the trapped leaves will break off.

When I get this situation I can't help myself and I very gently pull the cap off. Keep the seed cap wet for a few hours then use one hand to hold the leaves so you don't pull the thing apart, and work on the seed cap with tweezers. Remember.. GENTLY If it won't come off or fall apart with a little pressure its best to leave it so you don't do any damage.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, after reading every reply I decided I´ll move the little fellow to dirt and give him light + that I´ll try to pull the seedcap but only very gently. If stays on, I´ll leave it on...................well, the little 7 pot is now in a plastic cup in the dirt on the windowsill, without the seed cap. :dance: ..I just hope I was gente enough during the transplantation.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions! Despite only the tips of the cotyledons were in the cap, I was worried because the cotyledons were moving out from the cap steadily, then all progression stopped for 3-4 days. I was not sure if a tiny little thing like this would survive if the tips would break...

Back