• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense The Trail Of the Trinidad Scorpion “Butch T” Strain

Thanks for the info the clip was very interesting,some of us knew it was called 7 POT.There was a pepper called Pimento on the video does anybody grow them?:dance:

Arrrg!

At the time all this was going on I was going to a college about 7 miles from Valley View Farms, and I never went there.
doh.gif
Oh well, I'll go there sometime, it's only an hour drive.

I stop into Valley View Farms occasionally as my business travels have me going down 83 from PA in MD often. I buy my veggies if I don't have specific ones germinating as they are always true to the breed and very well started. They specialize in peppers and tomatoes, just check the pic out below, the long stretch is 90% pepper varieties, on the flip side is the tomatoes, the place is amazing and definitely worth the trip if your not too far away.

Pepper Isle
VVF.jpg

ButchT in the USA
VVFTrinidad.jpg

I love that Trinidad scorpion pic, but they really should have asked to use it :(

According to CARDI(Caribbean agricultural research institute), the Trinidad landrace chile has always been called 7 pod, so I have to go with that

I love that Trinidad scorpion pic, but they really should have asked to use it :(

According to CARDI(Caribbean agricultural research institute), the Trinidad landrace chile has always been called 7 pod, so I have to go with that
Is/was that one of your pics?

I have heard that the Butch T was supposedly an accidental cross between the Trinidad Scorpion (obtained indirectly from Valley View farms) and a Cumari. True?

Is/was that one of your pics?
Yes, they gave me photo credits but they should have asked first

I have heard that the Butch T was supposedly an accidental cross between the Trinidad Scorpion (obtained indirectly from Valley View farms) and a Cumari. True?
In my opinion there is no possibble way this chile is a cumari cross. It would have shown signs of being crossed early on but it has grown true for me for many years now

Pepp3rFreak,

If you buy Trinidad Scorpion pepper from Valley View Farms this year, you will not got the Scorpion pepper at all. They have some problems to germinate from their own seeds so they try to go out to get the Trinidad Scorpion Pepper plants from some sources. I bought 6 plants from them this year and none of them coming out Trinidad Scorpion pepper pods at all. I bought from them before in 2007 and it comes out with Scorpion with pimple/wrinkled pods. This years, the pepper comes out with smooth skin and it looks like Hanabero from Safeway or Giant foods grocery store. I email them and they said that they will give me 6 plants free next years but it will be long shot. I am not sure I am interested to drive all the way to Cockeysville to get those plants for free.

Why have I never heard of this Valley View Farms before? Damn. I am only an hour from there. I am going to have to check it out.

the Butch scorpion is just an example of selective breeding.

A mutation occured and it was further bred.

Climate and soil and conditions took care of the rest.
Well the 2 I got said Trinidad Scorpion Habanero
on the tag. Both have hab shaped pods that are just a little hotter then a Caribbean Red Habanero. IMO the seed stock got corrupted. Maybe they can get in tough with Neil or Butch and get them back on track if they want Butch T's. Many other true sources for just Trinidad Scorpions.

Back