• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Douglah

I'm growing a douglah this year and pods have started ripening to red. Igot the seeds last year from cappy along with some brain strain seeds. Is there a known red douglah or do I have some kind of cross and Cappy if you read this and this is a cross, what reds were you growing last year? I'll get some pictures up a little later today. Here's what I have right now...

This ripened to full on red. One of the hottest peppers I've had. The heat builds over a few minutes and it doesn't have the punch you in the mouth flavor/instant heat I get from regular douglahs.
img_4535.jpg

A lot of the pods look like this
img_4507.jpg

I'll get some more pics up soon. Any thoughts on what this is?

Red Douglahs do exist, but they're called "7-Pot".
As explained to me by once, in Trinidad the word "Douglah" means a person that is half black and half white, causing the complexion to appear somewhere in between. because of the obvious brown color of this 7-Pot variety, it was named Douglah.

As explained to me by once, in Trinidad the word "Douglah" means a person that is half black and half white, causing the complexion to appear somewhere in between. because of the obvious brown color of this 7-Pot variety, it was named Douglah.

I learn something new every day :) Thanks for the info man! Still wondering what I have here, a classic red 7 or some kind of douglah / red pepper cross. I'll just keep eatin' them until it comes to me in a vision :rofl:

No such thing as a red douglah that is a cross with any of a dozen red c. chinense I was growing. The one you show has a cool point and glad to hear it is very hot but the way you describe the heat it sound like it was a red 7 Pot cross. How did the other seeds in the packet look as when I share seed it is out of mix from many different douglah pods. Thanks for sharing accidental crosses are going to happen every now and them and I am sorry. How do the Brain Strain 7 Pod seed grow out? Good looking plants.

No such thing as a red douglah that is a cross with any of a dozen red c. chinense I was growing. The one you show has a cool point and glad to hear it is very hot but the way you describe the heat it sound like it was a red 7 Pot cross. How did the other seeds in the packet look as when I share seed it is out of mix from many different douglah pods. Thanks for sharing accidental crosses are going to happen every now and them and I am sorry. How do the Brain Strain 7 Pod seed grow out? Good looking plants.

No need to be sorry at all, no one ever made any claims that anything was isolated (you told everyone the exact opposite) and I think it's a pretty cool cross. Not to mention the fact that the plant is a beast - one of my largest. I only planted one of the other douglah seeds and that plant got pounded by hail when it was small so its way behind...it just started setting a few small pods. I'll post some pics in this thread as more of the pods start ripening. The two brains I have going are top notch and as I commented in my grow thread after sampling...

"Speaking of the brain strain last night my neighbor and I sampled the 7 Pod Jonah, T Scorp Morouga and the 7 Pod Brain Strain. The Jonah was mine and the T scorp and Brain Strain were from his gardens. His plants are are from the original PepperRidgeFarm seeds, I gave them to earlier this year because I was out of space. The Jonah had a nice heat level. Hot, but I didn't think it was bhut jolokia level heat. The Morouga was a serious step up and felt like someone punched me in the lips. 1/2 hour later we sampled the BS and h*** f****** s*** it was like someone poured a cup of lava down my throat. Serious burn - hands down the hottest pepper I have ever had in my life. I had some of AJ's scorps this year and they were not even close to the heat level of the brain. Not saying it's the hottest pepper out there but it's by far the hottest pepper I have ever tasted."

OMRI the word Doudlah in Trinidad does not mean half black & half white,it means half black & half indian thats where the color comes from.:dance:

Hope the other Douglah plant produces brown pods for you PGM and did not see that in you growlog. Happy those seed are producing well it left a smoking crater of my mind, I like to blow away, but the heat came round and busted me for smiling on a cloudy day. Comin', comin' around, comin' around in a circle enjoy the Brain Strain 7 Pod. :lol: Remind me later and I send you more Douglah seed.

Weirdest thing!! I had my own Douglah seeds saved from last year!
And the first pod was red , so I figured... that plant would produce all red pods!
Well now the pods on that one are blushing brown!! :crazy:

Kevin

Weirdest thing!! I had my own Douglah seeds saved from last year!
And the first pod was red , so I figured... that plant would produce all red pods!
Well now the pods on that one are blushing brown!! :crazy:

Kevin

That is weird. I'm starting to see a bunch turn red so don't think that's going to happen here :)

This is interesting, because from the 50 odd Douglah plants I grew out some time ago from my original mommy plant courtesy bentalphanerd, I too got red through-backs and I also recall ButchT was growing Red Douglahs way before any of us had them growing. Must be something in the make up of them which produces a red variant. Mine look so close to the Jonahs but lack that lime green pre-riping effect my Jonahs have. They are Wicked looking pods eh! :cool:

I've been growing Douglahs for several years now and from 3 sources, and they all grow the same for me year after year

Back