• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Yucatan White Habanero Germination?

Hi all,

Has anyone grown the Yucatan white habanero plant and if so, how did you get the seeds to germinate? I've been trying all summer. First, I planted the seed in seed-starting soil, covered it with my propagator lid and put it on a heat mat for plants (all of my other chillies came up this way). Then, I tried dampening a paper towel, putting a few seeds inside, leaving them inside a ziplock bag and placing the bag on the mat. I waited two weeks and nothing happened. Now, I'm soaking the seeds and am going to try again.

Any ideas as to what I can do next?

Thank you!

They should be coming up same time as the others,

maybe just put a couple in some wet cotton balls in a dish
and place them in a cupboard and make sure the dish doesn't dry out
then wait till you see a small shoot before planting in some seed mix
if this doesn't work then I'd say you might have some no good seeds?????????????????

I had the same problem earlier this year. They took a very long time to germinate and I had a very low rate. It ended up being the seeds. Kinda dissappointing! :) Hope yours turn out better.

Same problem here. Tried seeds from 2 different sources, maybe only 10% germinated and the seedlings were all sickly and quickly died. Maybe the pods weren't left to ripen long enough or something. With Aribibi Gusano it's hard to tell when they're ripe, they barely change colors. They go from a very light green color to an off-white color, so I'm thinking maybe it's the same with the white habaneros and they were picked before fully ripe.

They should be coming up same time as the others,

maybe just put a couple in some wet cotton balls in a dish
and place them in a cupboard and make sure the dish doesn't dry out
then wait till you see a small shoot before planting in some seed mix
if this doesn't work then I'd say you might have some no good seeds?????????????????

Interesting. I'll try the cotton ball technique. If this works, would I plant the cotton ball in the soil with the sprouted seed? I imagine the roots would get attached to the cotton right?

Thanks much!

I had the same problem earlier this year. They took a very long time to germinate and I had a very low rate. It ended up being the seeds. Kinda dissappointing! :) Hope yours turn out better.

Yep, I was wondering if it was the seeds. I know this variety has a low germination rate, but I bought 25 seeds and I find it odd that none of them will germinate. Did the seeds that germinated turn into healthy plants?

Same problem here. Tried seeds from 2 different sources, maybe only 10% germinated and the seedlings were all sickly and quickly died. Maybe the pods weren't left to ripen long enough or something. With Aribibi Gusano it's hard to tell when they're ripe, they barely change colors. They go from a very light green color to an off-white color, so I'm thinking maybe it's the same with the white habaneros and they were picked before fully ripe.

That's disappointing if they were picked too early. I'm growing about a dozen varieties, but I have to say this was the one I was most excited about. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

They grew awesome for me last season!! I harvest enough to fill a typical size flat. I just used seed starter mix and placed them on a heat mat. If I remember right the germination rates were acceptable. I moved up to the giant white habs this season, much easier to process than the smaller pods.

They grew awesome for me last season!! I harvest enough to fill a typical size flat. I just used seed starter mix and placed them on a heat mat. If I remember right the germination rates were acceptable. I moved up to the giant white habs this season, much easier to process than the smaller pods.

I'm glad to hear this! Would you mind telling me where you got your seeds from? I'm probably going to need to get some more. Thanks!

Interesting. I'll try the cotton ball technique. If this works, would I plant the cotton ball in the soil with the sprouted seed? I imagine the roots would get attached to the cotton right?

Thanks much!

Cotton balls or paper towel as long as it will soak up the water,
you don't leave them in that long so that the roots go into the medium
just long enough so you know that the seed had sprouted.... then into the dirt, (no cotton ball/paper towel etc....just the seed)

hmm.
some good info on germination.
Things i did not know. I am a new commer as well.
Thanks for the helpful questions and replies.

I also planted 24 white hab seeds beginning of this season and not a single one came up really frustrating :( . If you google "white habanero seed germination" you will find that it is a commen problem. I am going to try again next season with seeds from a different supplier. I found this germination guide useful it's from a profesional grower will try it his way next year. http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=100&Itemid=107
Hope it will help

I didn't have too much trouble germinating the White Hab that produces pods that are up to 2 cm in length. 3 out of 5 sprouted.

I've seen conflicting information on what defines Yacatun White versus a Peruvian White. Neil's video shows a Yacatan White that is rounded. The variety in the video matches the Habanero White 2 listed on chileplants.com:

Habanero White 2 listing on chileplants.com

I suspect the Habanero White seeds I have thanks to megamoo is the variety that tapers to a point:

Habanero White listed on chileplants.com as from Yacatun

This begs the question of whether people are having trouble with the pointy one or the blunt one?

It may be easier to identify each person's variety by posting a photo with a ruler next to a pod.

Edited 2013-01-10: Fix CCN links.
Edited: 2014-03-04: Update CCN links again.

I also planted 24 white hab seeds beginning of this season and not a single one came up really frustrating :( . If you google "white habanero seed germination" you will find that it is a commen problem. I am going to try again next season with seeds from a different supplier. I found this germination guide useful it's from a profesional grower will try it his way next year. http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=100&Itemid=107
Hope it will help

Yep, I'm seeing that germination problems are common with this variety. Thanks for linking that germination guide! Best of luck with finding seeds that will grow.

I didn't have too much trouble germinating the White Hab that produces pods that are up to 2 cm in length. 3 out of 5 sprouted.

I've seen conflicting information on what defines Yacatun White versus a Peruvian White. Neil's video shows a Yacatan White that is rounded. The variety in the video matches the Habanero White 2 listed on chileplants.com:
habanero-white-2.jpg

Habanero White 2 listing on chileplants.com

I suspect the Habanero White seeds I have thanks to megamoo is the variety that tapers to a point:
habanero-white.jpg

Habanero White listed on chileplants.com as from Yacatun

This begs the question of whether people are having trouble with the pointy one or the blunt one?

It may be easier to identify each person's variety by posting a photo with a ruler next to a pod.

I definitely bought seeds for the rounded Yucatan habanero. I posted this question on another forum and a couple of people said they were also having germination problems with the Peruvian variety too.

habanero-white-2.jpg

Has anyone here grown these and did they turn out as white as the picture? Or has anyone grown a variety that produced pods that are as white as these? I LOVE the way these look, but as I understand most "white" peppers are really more of a cream color. I'm bound and determined to grow some white habaneros next year but I really want to grow some that are as close to white as possible rather than an off-white or cream color.

habanero-white-2.jpg

Has anyone here grown these and did they turn out as white as the picture? Or has anyone grown a variety that produced pods that are as white as these? I LOVE the way these look, but as I understand most "white" peppers are really more of a cream color. I'm bound and determined to grow some white habaneros next year but I really want to grow some that are as close to white as possible rather than an off-white or cream color.

There's a Capsicum Chinense variety named Snow White on Semillas.de. It's listed as the only variety they know of that stays white in full sun when ripe.

It has been mentioned here before in the Best white varieties topic back in February.

The two whites I've grown thus far ripened to a pale yellow/cream colour. The Habanero White I grew appears to be the Peruvian White that produces Jelly Bean sized (2 cm max.) pods. The other white is the Habanero White (Mild) from thechilliman.biz that seemed more medium to hot than mild as it retained some kick. It's a shame the plant didn't survive the winter as its flavour was unique amongst the chillies I grew.

NB: Reposted after the server crash.

I have tried 2 batches of Yucatan White, from the same UK supplier but at different times. Out of 50 odd seeds I haven't had one germinate, although I've heard of a lot of problems with these. I also planted Habanero White, and one of my plants has buds on now, ready to flower. Will post a pic when ripe.

Back