• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Five Dollar Feast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duvall Dave's Shrimp Pasta in White Sauce & Habanero Garlic Bread

Onions simmering in the foreground, habanero and dried chilis simmering in the background...

DSC00137.jpg

Shrimp simmering in habanero and dried chilis butter...

DSC00142.jpg

Medium white sauce cooking to perfection...

DSC00143.jpg

Pasta cooking...

DSC00144.jpg

Coming next, the finale! :cool: :woohoo:

Sum's comin up.

His food has been consumed, and the masses are happy.

Burned my face off. Good stuff.

Looks good Duval.

Awesome entries everyone!!!

Sausage and Shrimp with Chipotle honey lime mustard sauce

French bread made with habanero sugar and ghost pepper salt

Vanilla ice cream blended with cayenne, habanero, datil, and scotch bonnet dried peppers

SEAFOOD AND SAUSAGE SAMPLER:

Bread to soak up the sauce is:

Water
Bread flour
Habanero sugar
Ghost pepper salt

Sausage and shrimp is:

Sausage
Shrimp
Vegetable oil
Onion
Red bell pepper
Thyme
Chipotle honey lime mustard
Red wine vinegar

Ice cream:

Milk
Sugar- habanero
Heavy cream
Cinnamon
Vanilla.extract
Blended with cayenne powder

POL

93d10319.jpg

Shrimp,sausage, onion, red peppers...etc.

9ce34e66.jpg

Plated up with spicy dessert.

8326b034.jpg

Good times...had fun on this one!

Okay - peeps are posting faster than I can keep up with!

zdecker - that looks yummy!

FD - banana leaf? Check. Fried chicken? Check. Peach cobbler? Double-check! Reds and Rice......???? Never seen R&R look quite like that. Gotta check out your method....

Never seen R&R look quite like that. Gotta check out your method....

Apparantly you've never been to Popeyes fried chicken, the best restaurant ever. I style my R&R after theirs.

I used canned red beans this time (don't always) partially mashed them, added a heap of smoked sausage, garlic powder, some olive oil, pepper blend, salt and pepper. Served on rice.

It's Looziana, Fast!

I'm in a $5 food coma right now. So good!!!!

Ingredients:
  • All purpose flour
  • Milk
  • Butter
  • Shrimp
  • Pasta
  • Fresh Baked Roll
  • Habanero chilis
  • Dried chilis
  • Garlic
  • Walla Walla Sweet Onion
  • Davez Foodz Sweet Spicy Girl
  • Sea Salt
  • Garlic Salt
  • Black Pepper

The Receipt
DSC00136.jpg

Cooking Methods

This dish has three primary parts: the pasta, the medium white sauce, and the garlic bread. These were prepared using these cooking methods...

Pasta
Bring water to boil, add the Penne Rigate pasta, cook until soft.

Medium White Sauce
Saute chilis in a pan with butter, remove from pan and put aside for garnish, and save butter for cooking the shrimp. Melt butter in sauce pan, stir in an equal amount of flour until smooth. Cook for a couple minutes. Add cup and half of milk, cook and stir to desired thickness. Saute onions and garlic in butter, and cook until soft. Cook Shrimp in saute'd chili butter. Combine white sauce, onions and garlic, and shrimp, and simmer low, stirring occasionally.

Garlic Toast
Finely-chop a Habanero, put three garlic cloves through a garlic press. Mix the habanero and garlic into 5 tablespoons of softened butter, add a dash of garlic salt, stir a little more, then cover and put aside for about 20 minutes for the flavors to blend. Cut the fresh baked bread roll in half, put on the habanero-garlic butter, and put into a preheated (350 degree) oven until dinner is served.

Now, pour the medium white sauce over the pasta, add saute'd dried chili and habanero garnish. Add a little Sweet Spicy Gril sauce, add the side of habanero garlic bread, and BEHOLD!

:woohoo:

DSC00148.jpg

Close up of the garlic bread...
DSC00150.jpg

This was some might fine eats - incredibly awesome and delicious!

Cheers! :beer:

When I think of five dollars, I think of Abraham Lincoln, and his favorite dish... Paella.

Like Elvis, everyone thinks he's dead, but he's not. I've spotted him in the woods behind FD's house on occasion... usually when a mean Paella is on the skillet, or when I've consumed A LOT of beer.

We tried to lure him out tonight... and HE SHOWED!

Here's a pic... you can totally tell it's him.

IMG_3897.jpg

Here are the fixin's:

IMG_3877.jpg

Decided to use the pantry to its full advantage and whipped up some desert. Condensing sweetened milk and evaporating milk happened tonight.
IMG_3875.jpg

And so did this...
IMG_3886.jpg

Lincoln LincolnLOOOooo!
IMG_3889.jpg

Ain't no doubt about what THAT is.

Apparantly you've never been to Popeyes fried chicken, the best restaurant ever. I style my R&R after theirs.

I used canned red beans this time (don't always) partially mashed them, added a heap of smoked sausage, garlic powder, some olive oil, pepper blend, salt and pepper. Served on rice.

It's Looziana, Fast!

I'm in a $5 food coma right now. So good!!!!

Actually have been to Popeye's chicken shack a few times - we actually managed to get one right down the street. Still can't say yours looks like theirs from where I sit. Looks good, just different.

Fun fact: Nothing rhymes with PAELLA.

Great job Sum!!! I know firsthand how awesome that was!

We heard Lincoln making some scraping noises by the pepper plants out back. Sum grabbed his camera and ran. You can barely see his arm through the branches, but I swear he's there. Friggin Lincoln. Always making noise!!

Sum's Paella de Lincoln y Flan

Ingreeds:

4 shrimp
1 chicken leg
1 jalapeno
can of diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
2 chicken/mango sausage

From the pantry:
sugar
whole milk
eggs
rice
saffron infused spice
dried medley of congo trinidad, fatalii, and scotch bonnet (flaked)

Banana leaf for foo.

Browned the chicken leg and then tossed in the can of tomatoes (et al) with some water to simmer down. Then tossed in the rice and sliced sausage. Shrimps and jalapenos went on last for some steamage.

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

I high-fived Lincoln tonight... it was the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back