• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Five Dollar Feast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salsalady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! That's what it's all about!

Holy crap. I'm posting tomorrow. Sum is too.

Paul, your crabby patties look really good too! Can't wait to see the finished plate.
This one is not over yet. Soflo gots somethin in mind!!!!!

....a few more before the final post:

Roux....

100_4547.jpg

100_4548.jpg

Gravy.......but not just any gravy......the BEST gravy.

100_4549.jpg

Fried eggs.....just cause they were there (in the "pantry")......and it sounded good:

100_4555.jpg

Retta and Tim......fixin' to enjoy a $5 feast:

100_4556.jpg

.....and the plating:::

100_4550.jpg

100_4554.jpg

100_4551.jpg

Final post coming.....

Circle-R $5 Feastie:

Ingredients:

Canned Salmon
Vidalia onion
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Serrano peppers
Biohazard pepper powder
S&P
Eggs
Flour
Butter
Parsley
Whole milk
HBD 1498
PF's magic powders
----stuff I am probably forgetting and will edit-in later.

Folded the salmon, bread crumbs, eggs, S&P, Biohazard, and onion together....then formed them into patties, then fried them in a hot frying pan.

Cut the butter into the flour, added milk and S&P, dropped the dough on a cookie pan....and baked in a 450 degree oven...

Made a one-beer roux, added seasonings....and milk.......magic happened..........and gravy was born.

Fried two eggs by cracking the shells and allowing the contents within to fall due to gravity into a frying pan filled with hot oil. I hovered the pepper mill over the pan and gave it 17 turns in the clockwise direction. The protiens in the eggs turned white and I made darn sure the yolks remained runny and delicious.

The Receet:

100_4534.jpg

Put all the stuff on a plate and took some piktures.....

100_4552.jpg

100_4553.jpg

Well...there it is. Shame I had to rush this......

Ok, I think it is time I reclaim my title as the pizza king. I have decided I can make a $25 pie at home for less than $5. $4.08 to be exact! Here are the pics.

000_0484.jpg

000_0485.jpg

000_0486.jpg

000_0487.jpg

100_9435.jpg

100_9436.jpg

100_9438.jpg

100_9441.jpg

100_9442.jpg

Oh yeah! Five bucks never tasted so good.

JayT's Five Buck Pizza

000_0483.jpg

Ingredients:

Dough:
yeast, water, white flour, farina 00 flour, olive oil, sugar, salt, oregano, granulated garlic, New Mexico red chile powder (all from pantry)

Toppings:
chicken, spinach, red onion, sliced grape tomatoes, pickled jalapenos, mushrooms, fresh mozzarella, cheddar, goat cheese, parmesan.

Cooking method is make the dough, let it proof for twelve hours (I was in a hurry), roll it out, top it, bake at 500F for 15 minutes.

100_9439.jpg

100_9443.jpg

Soflo gots somethin in mind!!!!!
Busch Light... $5.
Staples... free.
Figuring out what to make with all the staples after you spent all the money on beer... and present it on banana leaf... priceless.

4-pack of Busch Light tall boys... $3

Added awesomeness... $2

Figuring out what to make with all the free staples... and having Bear pose in a banana leaf... priceless.

Busch Light... $5.
Staples... free.
Figuring out what to make with all the staples after you spent all the money on beer... and present it on banana leaf... priceless.

... and that's how we do the $5 challenge!

Looks awesome Paul! Bunch of happy campers in that picture.

JT, keepin it real with the pizza. Great idea hitting the salad bar! Might just have to borrow that idea! Well done sir!!!

Where the noobz at?

Soflo in tomorrow fo sho!! I like Sum's idea better than mine. I think he's gonna make it at my place. Hopefully he'll accidentally post it under my name.
Or, I'll have an awesomer idea tonight in my sleep, one that involves this throwdown (I get all kinds of awesome ideas in my sleep...usually don't pan out, right Hennifer Lopez???!!!).

Teaser...which won't make a bit of difference, since I'm about to post the whole damn thing.

5dollartd1.jpg

I thought about this a number of ways...and fajitas/tacos kept screaming at me. I mean...it's me...it's who I am...it's where I'm from. Well, maybe not exactly...I'm German/Polish mix. But, I live in Texas, and the local goods make Mexican food a rquirement.

I talked to the butcher at Albertson's...they "understand" my requirements...and when I said I was looking for pork for around a buck...she said, "you're in luck..."

5dollartd2.jpg

Put the pork on...custom mix of salt, fresh ground 5 pepper blend, black pepper, hungarian paprika, nu-mex hot powder, chile-lime, comino, garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican oregano, jalapeno salt, and dried/flaked t-scorps.

5dollartd3.jpg

While those are cookig, I grab the corn flour from under the cabinet...dust it off...and start making tortillas.

5dollartd4.jpg

LB's Puerca y Papas Para Pesos Pequeños

That's right, terrestrial bipeds...I mojo'd the hell outta this 5-themed throwdown with the use of 5 P's in the title...making me the victor.

Ingredients:

Pig - loin chops

Dry rub for the loin chops - mix of salt, fresh ground 5 pepper blend, black pepper, hungarian paprika, nu-mex hot powder, chile-lime, comino, garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican oregano, jalapeño salt, Fiesta Brand saltless fajita blend, and dried/flaked t-scorps.

Fresh Produce - 4 Jalapeños, Cilantro, 2 Roma Tomatoes, 4 Limes, 1 Yellow Onion, 1 Red Potato

1 Can of Black Beans

Rice...although technically a dry grain, I figured in the spirit of the TD, I'd pay for it...

Staples - Butter, Olive Oil, Corn Flour (Dry Masa), Badia Fajita Spice mix, and other spices (mentioned above).

"Hot" Chiles Used - Jalapeños (fresh), Trinidad Scorpion (dried/flaked), Jalapeño Salt

POL:

5dollartd.jpg

That's right...so awesome, I only had to spell "total" correctly once.

Cooking Method(s):

Piggy - Rub down with spice mix, set up for 30 miutes in the fridge. Then grill until well done. Take off the grill, slice into strips.

Veggie Mix - 1 laterally slice jalapeño, half the onion, 1 red potato halved, then sliced thin, and Badia Fajita Spice mix. Flash fry in butter and olive oil for a few minutes, then add the sliced pork for a few more minutes.

Tortillas - corn flour, water, rolled into a ball, then rollered flat between a large folded sheet of wax paper. Heat them on a dry cast iron skillet until done...one side, then flip, and add a little butter.

Rice - Cooked with salt, pepper, hungarian paprika, Mexican oregano, lime juice from half a lime, cilantro, and onion.

Black Beans - Cooked with salt, pepper, hungarian paprika, Mexican oregano, lime juice from the other half of the lime, cilantro, onion, and the diced caps of the roma's.

Pico de Gallo - 2 roma's, 3 jalapeños, the other half of the onion, cilantro, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and juice from 1 lime.

My FIVE DOLLAR FIESTA:

5dollartd5-1.jpg

5dollartd6-1.jpg

Oh a french fry taco!

LOL...there's very little potato in there...and they are bit undercooked (on purpose). The (firm) red potato adds a bit of a creamy but semi-firm texture, since they are so smooth. My wife is off dairy for a while, so I have to come up with ways to add the texture, and richness of cheese...without actually using cheese. If I had the extra pesos left over, I would have added portabellas to this.

LOL...I looked at the pics again...the pork does kinda look like french fries. Shit...you'd a eat a french fry taco as fast as I would...

Oh man I see it nowww! I was looking for the pork and didn't see any :lol: The french fry looking things is the pork! :doh:

LOL...I thought it was obvious...the pork was sliced, and the potato is the half-circle thingies.
I had it all screwed up I thought it was fries with apples :lol:

Nice Job on the tacos, Lunchbox!

Isn't it great to have clerks and butchers that "understand" the occasional strange requests TD-ers may come up with? It really does pay off to be on good terms with the local store. When I was shopping on Thursday, I asked the deli for that small portion cup of parmesan cheese, explaining that I had $5 to make a gourmet meal. They were going to GIVE me the parmesan....but I said, No, it had to be on the receipt. so they weighed it and priced it for a whopping .38 ... and I didn't even use it all!

Looking forward to seeing more great $5 meals!

Pauly, I knew something fishy was going on, isn't this the earliest you've ever posted??? ;)

JayT... beauty on a plate, what can I say? :sigh:

LB, those pork pieces do look like fries....:lol: edit to remove comment so as not to tick off the Boss. :halo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back