• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Ladybug Nymph

I am beginning to see aphids again now that all my store bought ladybugs have all flown away. I went back to applying Neem and squishing and came across this guy. Finally a nymph! After looking more carefully, I am finding more and more ladybugs. This photo has been cropped so I can show the real beauty of this wonderful aphid eater.

Screenshot2011-08-01at123321PM.png
Screenshot2011-08-01at123321PM.png
[/img]

Beautiful photo! Man I would hate to be an aphid and see one of these monsters coming at me. God I love nature!

So that will grow to be a ladybug?
If so I didn't realize they were spiky like that, or did the neem nuke him?

No, I didn't steal them. Macro photography is on of my interests. Here I caught an encounter with a very small ladybug (newly emerged from the pupa) and a different ladybug nymph. One second after I took the shot, the ladybug gave the nymph a nip and sent him on his way. Notice no spots yet.

Screenshot2011-08-01at124710PM.png

That is sick. I lovvve it. I never knew they looked like that young. I have seen tiny ladybugs in with bigger ones so I just figured babies get bigger. Thank you for opening my eyes to these.

Are you using a tripod on monopod for those macro shots? Very crisp.

Yes. A tripod is an absolute must. The macro lens I have has a very small depth of field and it would be near impossible to get shots like that in focus without one. Sometimes I back up a little to get it all in focus and crop the shot to make the image larger. It is pretty amazing to see what an interesting world there is right under our noses, or in this case, under the chile plant leaves.

I hadn't seen one in so long that i had forgot what they looked like.

Needless to say when i found one on my neck the other day, i was taken aback by the way it looked, so i squished it.

I was also surprised that i didn't have a bite on my neck, but now i know why................

Back