• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper Identification Question

Hello Hotpepper forum,

I have been growing this plant since February and had gotten the seeds from my grandfather. The packet of seeds came from the chile pepper institute with the lable of "Bhut Jolokia," however, when I planted a second packet of seeds with the same lable, different looking plants have sprouted up.

My question to you pepper experts is: What kind of plant/pepper is this?

Pepper

Here is the plant.

Pepper Plant

Thank you for your time.

Hello fellow chiliheads. I have a problem with this pepper, I got the seeds from my friend, and it should be CGN:22871. Instead its something else, flowers are all white, approx. 5-7 mm in diameter. I'm pretty sure that it's a capsicum chinense of some sort. Pods are small, as you can see, first green and red when ripe.

In the finnish chiliwiki it reads that CGN:22871 is a c. baccatum and differs from my plant quite a lot!

2472011001.jpg

2472011004.jpg

2472011002.jpg

ps. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from sunny Finland!

Oliver1
Have you got a close up picture of a flower please?
How "hairy" are the leaves?
Is it a locally grown plant?
By Chilli Pepper Institute did you mean NMex USA or a local organisation?
How cold tolerant is it?

Oliver1
Have you got a close up picture of a flower please?
How "hairy" are the leaves?
Is it a locally grown plant?
By Chilli Pepper Institute did you mean NMex USA or a local organisation?
How cold tolerant is it?

Pepper Today
Other simmilar peppers growing on the plant.
Flower 1
Flower 2

They don't really seem the same as my Jolokia Peppers

No hair on the leaves.

I got the seeds from New Mexico USA. I have never left it out in the cold currently, but when it was a seedling some of the leaves sort of shriveled up when they came out of their germination container.

Those looks like ones i grew last year, called Jaberia (C. Annuum ) they are about 2-3cm long and ripens from Green to brown to red.
I can try upload some pictures once i get my another computer running ;(

Yes it certainly seems to be an annum variety. Usually you get a couple of flowers together with frutescens and Chinense
and pubescens does not have a white flower.
BTW
I am told that pubescens flower is fragrant. I am ashamed to say I have never noticed this. Has anyone else? What do they small like?

Back