• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! TOAST Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooze I don't think it had anything to do with what you made. I imagine like what megamoo said most people may have been a little TDed out.

Also this one seemed to slip through the cracks on me. Maybe I was so over whelmed by looking over and voting for all of last months entries that I some how missed this thread until it was too late for me.

This TD came right on the heels of the last one. I could have done something special but I'm way too busy right now.

Chill Rooze. Your stuff was awesome, but not unprecedented.

Paulky goes big all the time and everyone loves it, several times he has made a buffet fit for kings.

I shot sausage through a potato gun covered in natural casing.

Throwdowns are where you show off your crazy side...if you want to pull anything, pull your apology!

No worries bud!

I woke up this morning and had no idea where my pants were, so mad props to everyone that got their act together and posted this weekend.

Manzzies! Last night was mangoes, but I managed to make some food somehow.

It started with some sourdough starter FD and I have been cultivating. This was our first shot at sourdough. There is plenty in the baking/making process that will need some refining, but the first loafs were good enough.

IMG_3853.jpg

Most of that bread is gone because I made a platter of toast tapas using as many hot sauces I could get my hands on. I realize I forgot to throw some picklese on one of these. Damn, that would have been the best one.

IMG_3854.jpg

Sum's Toasted Sourdough Smoked Pork Tapas

Whipped up a mean sourdough with the help of FDwife... his better half. Let that rise for a couple beers, then punched it down, split it in half, lubed up the loaf pan and tossed half in. The other half was formed out round and both were left for a few more beers for the second rise. The smoked pork, which had been done many, many beers before over coals and apple wood chips, was chilling in the fridge getting set for the meat slicer. Grabbed a fresh mango from FD's yard... they're EVERYWHERE, and a couple banana leaves. Time for some fireworks.

Smoked Pork Loin:
Dry rubbed two days prior with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and a dash of hab powder.
Smoked for three hours in the Weber with apple wood chips for smoke @ 250F. Then wrapped in foil and tossed in the oven for an hour @ 350F. Then tossed in the fridge to firm up.
Delish. I wish I had pictures of the meat slicing. I've got mean skills with meat.

Sourdough Bread:
The starter is a recipe RocketMan hooked FD up with. I'm not sure of the whole process, but I babysat this thing for several days last week.
After the second rise, the pan was tossed into a preheated oven @375F convect. The round dough was gently placed on the preheated pizza stone. Rustic.

Sauces:
A shout out to RocketMan for hooking SoFlo up with some fermented pepper sauce. TriniMike also hooked us up with some mean sauce. FD whipped up a mango hot sauce a couple weeks ago which is not too shabby. El Yucateca and Marie Sharps always make their way onto something when Busch Light is involved.

Funyuns:
Crushed with hand or left whole... must play Fugees' songs while consuming. It magically makes them taste even more awesome.

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

And a shot of SoCo for the toast.

Prost!

Nice! Darn I wish I could make bread like that. Mine tasted alright but looked like rolled up carpet tile :(

Here we go.....

This is my retort to rooze's toast buffet from hell. As Retta always says...."It's not how wide you spread,......it's the angle in wich you attack....." ;)

Ladies and germs, I give to you with much love:

POKE-CHOP SAMMICH!!!!

Teaser.....looks innocent enough....yes?

100_4351.jpg

Some preppy piccys (wit BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)....

100_4352.jpg

100_4354.jpg

100_4355.jpg

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100_4358.jpg

MACARONI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (doesn't have the same effect, does it?)

100_4361.jpg

Grill......up and going. (thank you Bradley!)

100_4362.jpg

Mac-n-Cheese with three kinds of peppers????? Outrageous!!!

100_4365.jpg

100_4366.jpg

100_4367.jpg

Holy crap.....that ol'Paul......he's as crazy as Bear!!!

TBC.....................

Here we go.....

This is my retort to rooze's toast buffet from hell. As Retta always says...."It's not how wide you spread,......it's the angle in wich you attack....." ;)

Keep cranking out those pics, better hurry....and better hope they start lookin better :onfire:

More meat.......er.........pics!

MORE cheese in the mac:

100_4373.jpg

BOOOYAH!!!!!!

100_4368.jpg

Grill-action:

100_4369.jpg

100_4370.jpg

100_4371.jpg

100_4372.jpg

aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnddddddddd........

Some build pics.....just to add to the injury:

100_4374.jpg

100_4375.jpg

100_4376.jpg

100_4377.jpg

OHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.................

The US of Angus Firecracker Chimichurri Steak Sandwich

Ingredients:
Angus flank steak
Flat leaf parsley
Fresh garlic
Fresh jalapenos
dried Naga pods
pepper powder
Oil
Sea Salt
Brick oven rolls
Roma tomatoes
Mayonnaise

Firecracker chimichurri: Chop parsley, jalapenos, and garlic and add to a flat pan. Crush naga pods in. Add oil.

Next, rub steak with any pepper powder, and put into tray. With your hands coat the steak with the chimichurri. Flip it over, coat. Let sit. Light up grill.

Grill it up MR.

Eat the steak for dinner! (Yum) Chill the rest. When chilled slice for steak sandwiches. Toast a brick oven roll, add mayo, then steak, then tomatoes. Make you all the chimichurri goodness is on there.

Serve!

(PLEASE CLICK)

Attachments

• toast-td-flank.jpg
    toast-td-flank.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 81
  • toast-td-sandwich.jpg
    toast-td-sandwich.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 82
Paulky with the cheeze splooge all over the pork.

Pork in 3 forms, the chop, the bacon, and the spicy rind. Well done again!!!

THP...I would punch someone in the eye to get a piece of that steak!! Looks awesome!

But I think there's only one meal here that really captures the complexity and versatility of Toast, the other brown meat...the pulled one!!!! :)

Pol!

Attachments

• toast-td-proof.jpg
    toast-td-proof.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 58
Poke Chop Sammich

Ingredients:

Pork Chops
Bacon!
Macaroni
Velveeta
Hab Cheese
Boihazard
Jalapeno
Red Bell
Sourdough....

Made the mac in the usual way....but added the peppers and bio...

Grilled the chops and sourdough.....and yadda yadda yadda.......(computer froze....had to rush final post)

100_4383.jpg

100_4385.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back