• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! TOAST Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
JayT's Shrimp Toast w/ Green Chile Seafood Chowder

Here are the prep and cooking pics:

100_9268.jpg

100_9271.jpg

Made a blond roux and added the veggies and spices

100_9269.jpg

Added a Dogfish Head Midas Touch and drank a few more.

100_9274.jpg

Steamed some mussels and peeled some shrimp

100_9272.jpg

Made the topping for the shrimp toasts

100_9275.jpg

Ready for the oil

100_9276.jpg

100_9277.jpg

Everybody in the pool

100_9278.jpg

Put some of Buddy's Smoked Hab Jelly on the toasts (man is this stuff good!)

100_9280.jpg

Added a little Heartbreaking Dawn's 1841 to the chowder at the end just to kick it up a little more.

JayT's Spicy Shrimp Toast with Green Chile Seafood Chowder

Ingredients:

Shrimp Toast

1/2lb large shrimp
two eggs
green onion
garlic
serrano peppers
salt
white pepper
cream cheese
heavy cream
Oil - for frying
loaf french bread sliced
Buddy's smoked hab jelly for serving

Chowder

Flounder
Alaskan Pollock
Large Shrimp
mussels
sea scallops
onion
celery
carrot
jalapeno
serrano
diced potato
Midas Touch beer
chicken broth
clam juice
heavy cream
half and half
cream cheese
crab boil
sea salt
hatch chili powder
thyme
garlic
parsley
Heartbreaking Dawn's 1841 for serving

Cooking methods

For the shrimp toast, I combined the ingredients in the food processor and pulsed until fairly smooth, but still a little chunky. Spread on sliced bread and pan friend at 360F topping side down for 2 minutes then flipped. Topped with Buddy's jelly.

For the chowder I made a blonde roux with flour and oil, added the finely chopped veggies and then the seasonings, crab boil, beer, stock, and clam juice. I let that cook for a bit then added the potatoes. Meanwhile I steamed the mussels. Finally, I added the seafood, creams, and parsley the shrimp going in last. After serving I garnished with a little more parsley, added some drops of 1841 and the shrimp toasts.

100_9281.jpg

100_9282.jpg

I chose this beer because I usually like a white wine with chowder, and Midas Touch is made with Muscat grapes and is a bit sweet.

Edit: Mrs. JayT asked if she can vote for this. I said no because she is not a member. She said "then I will join!" That is high praise coming from her.

Boom!

OK has anyone had this problem before.....you lay out all our ingredients for the photo, then think to yourself.....whoooaaaa...!! that's a lot of toil comin' up, I'd much rather be drinking beer and maybe knock out a burger half in the bag around 7.30????

So I'm stalling now, what to do??? :eek:

5.jpg

one half
6.jpg

tother half

7.jpg

Hells bells :mouthonfire:

Holy crap paulky that's a lot of ingredients. Wait... rooze!

Nice toast JayT!

OK has anyone had this problem before.....you lay out all our ingredients for the photo, then think to yourself.....whoooaaaa...!! that's a lot of toil comin' up, I'd much rather be drinking beer and maybe knock out a burger half in the bag around 7.30????

So I'm stalling now, what to do??? :eek

5.jpg

one half
6.jpg

tother half

7.jpg

Hells bells :mouthonfire:

X rooze^3 = FAIL

Darn back to the drawing board!

Damn!!! Rooze bustin out the Qasuri Methi.

Oh No He Di'NT!!!!!

(WTF is Qasuri Methi??)

BTW, I'm going to enter. My stuff is marinating one more night, it's going to be good for the 4th of July (July 4th for the Aussies).

I say this causally, but I'm probably going to blow your freaking minds off with my entry.

Roll with it Paul.
Mine is ridiculous too....in fact, ridiculous to the point of almost insulting to anyone who went mangos crazy for this one.

I believe I will.

I WAS going to do a skyscraper dagwood......

THEN, I had the idea of a footlong panini or cuban sammich....(which still sounds awesome!)

And THEN I had the idea of re-visiting the mighty HOT BROWN (as it uses toast!)...but I've already done that twice!

But THIS idea....although not in the same league as far a sheer size goes....just sounds like the right thing to do. ;)

*Other* ideas I pondered:

Reuben- (was afraid too many people wouldn't like 'kraut...)

Patty Melt- (seemed over-played)

BLT- (meh...)

Quesadilla- (is this really toast?....or is it merely "toasted"?)

Grilled cheese- (NOW we're talkin!!!)

Eggs Benedict- (done that one already too)

Open-faced hot roast beef sandwich!- (I nearly did this one....but it's a bit too involved)

...just thought I'd share in case someone was having trouble w/ ideas! ;)

Damn, Hot Browns are so good. Paul, I bet you've got something crazy stirring in those brains if you're going to trump hot browns.

Damn, Hot Browns are so good. Paul, I bet you've got something crazy stirring in those brains if you're going to trump hot browns.

I sure hope it has the cajones to make it!

....and any hints from the SoFlo?.....or has Bear got y'all plain' strip scrabble again?

JayT's Spicy Shrimp Toast with Green Chile Seafood Chowder

Ingredients:

Shrimp Toast

1/2lb large shrimp
two eggs
green onion
garlic
serrano peppers
salt
white pepper
cream cheese
heavy cream
Oil - for frying
loaf french bread sliced
Buddy's smoked hab jelly for serving

Chowder

Flounder
Alaskan Pollock
Large Shrimp
mussels
sea scallops
onion
celery
carrot
jalapeno
serrano
diced potato
Midas Touch beer
chicken broth
clam juice
heavy cream
half and half
cream cheese
crab boil
sea salt
hatch chili powder
thyme
garlic
parsley
Heartbreaking Dawn's 1841 for serving

Cooking methods

For the shrimp toast, I combined the ingredients in the food processor and pulsed until fairly smooth, but still a little chunky. Spread on sliced bread and pan friend at 360F topping side down for 2 minutes then flipped. Topped with Buddy's jelly.

For the chowder I made a blonde roux with flour and oil, added the finely chopped veggies and then the seasonings, crab boil, beer, stock, and clam juice. I let that cook for a bit then added the potatoes. Meanwhile I steamed the mussels. Finally, I added the seafood, creams, and parsley the shrimp going in last. After serving I garnished with a little more parsley, added some drops of 1841 and the shrimp toasts.

100_9281.jpg

100_9282.jpg

I chose this beer because I usually like a white wine with chowder, and Midas Touch is made with Muscat grapes and is a bit sweet.

Edit: Mrs. JayT asked if she can vote for this. I said no because she is not a member. She said "then I will join!" That is high praise coming from her.

Boom!

3D_emoticon_127.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back