• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

aphids

Last year I didn't have no problems with these aphids, This yr they are killing me and stunting my grow..I got a solution from ACE hardware ( a Natural ) which works (BUT} I have to keep doing it to often, and again the plants seem to stale mate..Is there something special I can use or what?
Thanx ahead of time to all...Dave Macon Ga...

i used ortho insecticidal spray and it worked for my aphids i havent seen them lil bastards since.... i think i did it a total of 3 times

Thanx
Robby for the page and Tig yes little fast ants.What you say I believe is happening (Thanx)
Beaglestorm I usually use a homemade natural but I found some at ace like what I make..But it doesn't seem to work as well
point is I can't keep spraying the plants it is setting them each time..
Tony I think I'll take your advise get some real stuff a kill them little buggers. It is strange how last yr no problems (well
I did get them on one plant but I used that home brew sprayed them and that was it ..But they are really bad right now..I had 5 Brainstrains
and now I have 2 and one of them is looking pretty poor..Thanx everyone for listening. Dave in Ga..

Aphids are hitting me hard too and they are a pain in the a**.
I'm using a neem oil solution mixed with some drops of natural soap to limit the problem, i think you can tolerate some aphids without using chemicals.
A stronger and (mostly) natural solution that i've already used in the past is pyrethrum, give it a try if things get really bad.

Good luck

Datil

www.arbico-organics.com
source for live ladybugs-1500 for 6.50

I agree live ladybugs are the ONLY thing that worked for me when I get hit hard my first year. Spraying is a temp solution that only deters them and requires constant spraying.

Ironically I got 200-300 live ones from my local ace hardware store.

If you get some the key is to force them to go into hybernation by putting them in your fridge over night. Then spray the plant with a 1/5 coke, water mix just after dark and then release the ladybugs onto the wet stick plant right after. Apparently this makes them take up shelter on the plant over night and helps deter them from flying away the next day. You will loose some, but as long as you can keep them on the plant long enough to reproduce your good. Once they reproduce the larvae run around the plant like a starved child eating aphids 24/7.

The four I found at the big box stores were:

Product - Active Ingredient
Bayer Fruit and Vegetable – Imidacloprid, a nicotine-based, systemic insecticide
Bayer Vegetable and Garden Insect spray - Cyfluthrin, a synthetic pyrethroid derivative
Ortho Bug-B-Gon MAX Lawn & Garden Insect Killer – Bifenthrin, a pyrethroid insecticide
Ortho Flower, Fruit and vegetable – Acetamiprid, an organic neonicotinoid insecticide

You can Google or Wikipedia the active ingredient to find out the nasty effects of each. I picked the last one based on recommendations here and my own research.

I sprayed them 2 days ago..yesterday all looked good ... BUT today I had them little ants running around again on a few plants ..WELL I sapped them..But will be on my way to get some killer stuff ..@ this point I don't know if I will even try my own home brew ( probably will though) thanx everyone for your help ..This forum is a good resource. Dave Macon Ga

they are worse this year than i've ever seen. when they were young i used ortho and neem. it killed them but they came back a lot. once the plants get a certain size they aren't as vulnerable unless it an infestation. you might want to buy some ladybugs. we had a ton around and i think they might have done the trick.

Another vote for lady bugs if your problem is really bad. I almost bought some this year myself for a light infestation but lucked out when only half a dozen or so LB's made homes in my potted plants. 2 weeks later and I'm aphid free....I only have about 8 potted plants though.

If you have the little ants (fire ants or sugar ants) then you need to treat for the ants as well, and that means getting all of the hives/hills/mounds. As long as you have the ants they will carry those little suckers back to your plants like aboriginies carrying missionaries to the bar-b-que.

Find the mound, circle it with Amdro, and pour vinagre down it. Then find the rest of the mounds, and do the same.

If you have a inground sprinkler system that keeps your yard watered every few days you may consider using beneficial nemetodes, they will have no mercy on the ants.

The four I found at the big box stores were:

Product - Active Ingredient
Bayer Fruit and Vegetable – Imidacloprid, a nicotine-based, systemic insecticide
Bayer Vegetable and Garden Insect spray - Cyfluthrin, a synthetic pyrethroid derivative
Ortho Bug-B-Gon MAX Lawn & Garden Insect Killer – Bifenthrin, a pyrethroid insecticide
Ortho Flower, Fruit and vegetable – Acetamiprid, an organic neonicotinoid insecticide

You can Google or Wikipedia the active ingredient to find out the nasty effects of each. I picked the last one based on recommendations here and my own research.
Caught and killed off an aphid infestation early this year using the Ortho Max Flower Fruit and Vegetable spray this year. There was no sign of them after the first soaking, and were definitely gone after the second spray-down.

Lowes and Home Depot carry the huge 1.3 gallon bottle for only $15. Just noticed that Lowes has the word "Max", but the Home Depot version doesn't have the word "Max" in it's name. I wonder what the difference is. The Ortho website no longer includes the Max labeled product.

I fought the SOB's for a couple of years with organics. They work but you have to stay on top of them which means spraying every few days. Got tired of that and went NBC on them with Ortho Max. Sprayed once in June. Never sprayed again.

Thanx for all the comments
Patrick, I here ya partner..I am giving up the ole natural stuff,If I see one more ant or uncle :-) its all going to be history..

I've actually had really good results using plain dishsoap. About 1/4 cup in a gallon of water. Spray on the plants, soaking them on top of leaves and under.

Back