• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rocoto growing recommendations?

I started some Rocoto seeds and they sprouted w/o any trouble whatsoever. My issue is how to take care of them into maturity. I have the oldest plant that seems to be struggling but the next two pots seem to be doing better. I re- potted the older plant this a.m. thinking some dirt without root- leavings from previous grows would help out. I noticed the dirt was rather dry. I was under the impression, after doing a little reading of their provinance that they don't like too much water as they're from the Andes region? I think I may have been under- watering them slightly and maybe giving them too much sun? Here's a few pics, the oldest one first which seems to have healthy growth at the top but drops lower leaves and some younger plants which seem healthier.

5821915469_315ff8a236_z.jpg

Same plant w/ more light:
5822479994_cc75145bc1_z.jpg

Younger plants that have been getting the same amount of sun but seem healthier:
5821915563_743835eed5_z.jpg

I was under the impression that I was over- watering them first because they're from an arid region but I'm wondering if I was? Also, they don't get direct sun any longer as the sun has moved such that it won't come through my window. I'm thinking this is good for this variety?

My Red Manzano seems to like morning sun, warm weather ('70s-'90s - but not really scorching hot - leaves burn), and not too much water - especially when cool. They grow BIG, so like a BIG pot, or ground space. Mine in the yard was about 7' wide and 5'-6' tall, before I cut it back. I think they do want some direct sun, just not the burning hot sun. I'm growing some Yellow Manzano this year as well; one in a big pot, and one in a protected corner of the yard. So far, the one in big pot is growing faster. I've been trying to water when I just see the leaves starting to droop, then letting it dry out for about a week. I'll need to water twice as often when it gets hot, and it gets over 100F on some days.

If it's warm out, put yours in direct, morning sun. They may look better after a few days. :)

That second picture almost looks like part of your problem could be fertilizer burn. What sort of potting mix are you using, and have you been adding additional fertilizer?

I'm growing Rocotos this year and I haven't been treating them any differently than my other varieties when it comes to water. Consistent, even moisture erring on slightly dry. The thing about growing plants outside their native habitat is that although they may be adapted to a certain set of conditions, they might be still be able to thrive with some tweaking.

My plants have done fine in direct sun until the temperatures started getting above 90 during the daytime, then I moved them to a shadier location. Heat indexes have been 100 lately and they haven't slowed down. Keeping the roots cool is probably the best way to insure success with them. If they're staying indoors, it's probably not going to be much of a concern.

Thanks for the tips. These peppers seem to be more delicate than run of the mill peppers that I've grown so far such as habanero & kung pao

I've got four rocotos growing in my northern bed. These plants get full sun while the other rocoto (in a 5 gallon bucket) is in the shade for most of the hottest afternoon hours. The plants in the full sun are full of blossoms and even appear to be setting fruit. The plant in the shade is approximately the same size, has nicer looking leaves and better color but not even one blossom. Not sure what to make of it.

I've got four rocotos growing in my northern bed. These plants get full sun while the other rocoto (in a 5 gallon bucket) is in the shade for most of the hottest afternoon hours. The plants in the full sun are full of blossoms and even appear to be setting fruit. The plant in the shade is approximately the same size, has nicer looking leaves and better color but not even one blossom. Not sure what to make of it.

Sounds like my Rocotos. I have three in buckets in full sun (well, filtered sun for part of the day), and a couple more plants in the ground in shade, but the shaded plants have no signs of flowers. Odd.

Rocoto's are WEIRD.

Take a look at these 2 pics from my garden last year:

cpub1.jpg

cpub2.jpg

It was long in several directions, taking up lots of space. It had many very pretty purple flowers, HOWEVER, it produced 0 peppers!! At least 50 flowers must have fallen off! Last season, my garden had all the right conditions for other peppers to grow, however this Rocotto was a complete failure. I've had other pepper plants drop flowers and fail to produce peppers, but none with as much growth and none dropped so many flowers.

I don't mean to discourage you and wish you the best of luck! Please post the progress. One note: Your Rocoto's don't look like mine when it was young. After a few sets of true leaves, I immediately noticed the strange horizontal growth pattern that I had not seen in a pepper plant.

Rocoto's are WEIRD.

Take a look at these 2 pics from my garden last year:

cpub1.jpg

cpub2.jpg

It was long in several directions, taking up lots of space. It had many very pretty purple flowers, HOWEVER, it produced 0 peppers!! At least 50 flowers must have fallen off! Last season, my garden had all the right conditions for other peppers to grow, however this Rocotto was a complete failure. I've had other pepper plants drop flowers and fail to produce peppers, but none with as much growth and none dropped so many flowers.

I don't mean to discourage you and wish you the best of luck! Please post the progress. One note: Your Rocoto's don't look like mine when it was young. After a few sets of true leaves, I immediately noticed the strange horizontal growth pattern that I had not seen in a pepper plant.

Very strange... though I think one of mine might be doing the same thing. The other four after branching have continued to grow vertically, but one is just sort of sprawling out...

Anyway, right now my Rocotos are actually my strongest growers and are outpacing all of my earlier starts, so, take it for what you will. I think you just need to find that sweet spot for growing conditions and they should take off. It'll take a little trial and error, but since you have multiple plants you can experiment.

I was under the impression that I was over- watering them first because they're from an arid region but I'm wondering if I was?
Rocotos come from a variety of environments, including tropical rain forests - water them like you would any other pepper.

Also, they don't get direct sun any longer as the sun has moved such that it won't come through my window. I'm thinking this is good for this variety?
Actually, no. They can be very finicky to grow indoors (and also take-up a lot of space!), so if that is your plan, make sure you locate them in/near a window that give them at least SOME direct sunlight.

If need be, take 'em out where they can get some sun.

They also tend to not like real hot temps - so bring 'em indoors if it gets too hot outside (or if in a windowsill, ck the max temp there!)

The yellowing & dropping of the older leaves is not unusual (particularly when grown indoors), but usually does not occur on a plant that young! Have you been feeding them anything?

They also don't seem to like their (furry) leaves messed-with, so avoid touching them if possible.

They also need a bigger pot than habs - at least 8"-10" to start, and preferably larger.

It was long in several directions, taking up lots of space. It had many very pretty purple flowers, HOWEVER, it produced 0 peppers!!
dragon49, as they often grow naturally in "Garden of Eden"-type climates that have no real Winter to speak of, C. Pubs can have VERY long growing seasons - it is not at all unusual to get few or even no pods in the first year!

Depending on the variety, you often have to wait until their second year before they kick into high gear - this is one of the challenges of growing this species compared to other types of hot peppers!

If you are having trouble getting them to produce in your climate in the first year, and you live in an area that gets too cold in the wintertime to leave them outside, then grow them in pots (or pot them up), over-winter indoors, then back outside once things warm-up again! :cool:

I just realized that I had screwed up the oldest plant by putting it in direct noonday sunlight for a couple of hrs one day :rolleyes: :oops: . It was 90+ degrees outside too. That was a mistake. It might recover though.

I just realized that I had screwed up the oldest plant by putting it in direct noonday sunlight for a couple of hrs one day :rolleyes: :oops: . It was 90+ degrees outside too. That was a mistake. It might recover though.

Don't worry, it'll recover, and probably be bushier as a result. I've noticed a tendency for plants to compensate for damaged leaves by utilizing more of their growing points along the main stem. The original leaves will probably fall off at some point, but as long as the stem is still green it'll bounce back.

Very strange... though I think one of mine might be doing the same thing. The other four after branching have continued to grow vertically, but one is just sort of sprawling out...

Anyway, right now my Rocotos are actually my strongest growers and are outpacing all of my earlier starts, so, take it for what you will. I think you just need to find that sweet spot for growing conditions and they should take off. It'll take a little trial and error, but since you have multiple plants you can experiment.

Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't try and grow any this year. I may try next year in a different spot of my garden.

Rocotos come from a variety of environments, including tropical rain forests - water them like you would any other pepper.

Actually, no. They can be very finicky to grow indoors (and also take-up a lot of space!), so if that is your plan, make sure you locate them in/near a window that give them at least SOME direct sunlight.

If need be, take 'em out where they can get some sun.

They also tend to not like real hot temps - so bring 'em indoors if it gets too hot outside (or if in a windowsill, ck the max temp there!)

The yellowing & dropping of the older leaves is not unusual (particularly when grown indoors), but usually does not occur on a plant that young! Have you been feeding them anything?

They also don't seem to like their (furry) leaves messed-with, so avoid touching them if possible.

They also need a bigger pot than habs - at least 8"-10" to start, and preferably larger.

Laser guy,

Thanks for the advice, but I let last years Rocoto die in the winter. I'm probably not going to use the resources for a 2 year cycle, but will keep it in mind.

dragon49, as they often grow naturally in "Garden of Eden"-type climates that have no real Winter to speak of, C. Pubs can have VERY long growing seasons - it is not at all unusual to get few or even no pods in the first year!

Depending on the variety, you often have to wait until their second year before they kick into high gear - this is one of the challenges of growing this species compared to other types of hot peppers!

If you are having trouble getting them to produce in your climate in the first year, and you live in an area that gets too cold in the wintertime to leave them outside, then grow them in pots (or pot them up), over-winter indoors, then back outside once things warm-up again! :cool:

I've also heard they can be finicky; maybe I just got a lucky plant at the local nursery. Here's my Red; picked the pod this morning:

red_manzano.jpg

and the plant, which has been suffering from the "June Gloom" the past couple of weeks:

manzano_plant.jpg

and here's my new Yellow Manzano, which looks to be doing OK:

yellow_manzano.jpg

I still have plenty of seed from this Red Manzano; happy to swap... :)

Don't worry, it'll recover, and probably be bushier as a result. I've noticed a tendency for plants to compensate for damaged leaves by utilizing more of their growing points along the main stem. The original leaves will probably fall off at some point, but as long as the stem is still green it'll bounce back.
Thanks for the encouragement ;)

Here's kind of where mine are at... this is the largest one, planted in a 5-gallon bucket (though with its growth rate I'm thinking a larger bucket would be better). It lost a few of its leaves earlier between a combination of leaf spot fungal issues and, in retrospect, what was probably mites, but it's fighting back now.

IMGP0646.jpg

I'm curious to see how the other one does. I planted it in the ground in total shade just to see if it would grow. Its leaves have enlarged in response to the decreased amount of light, but other than that it seems healthy (minus slug and flea beetle damage):

IMGP0664.jpg

This is actually my first time growing Rocotos, so it's been a bit of a learning curve.

Has the same leaf/stem structure mine has. Can you see it too? BTW- Are you using any special blend of dirt?
The blend, is pretty much what I had around here; composted kitchen scraps, some leftover Miracle Grow Moisture Control, some yard dirt, and some bunny poo...you can see that on the top, but some is mixed in as well. I've been trying this "blend" for several potted peppers, and some seem happy, and others not so... My Trinidad Scorpion isn't looking as good as this Manzano. Maybe too much water or it doesn't like the cooler, overcast weather we've been having; don't know.

Back