• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is this? Disease, deficiency?

This happened to some of my plants last year and its happening with my young plants again. None of the seedlings exhibited any of this type of thing but as they are growing larger, problem is getting worse - happens on multiple plants of different variety. Can it be magnesium deficiency? Some pics look a little similar.... Oh and none of the plants have been outside and I dont see signs of pests.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I think it could be Mg deficiency. I have it too. Next year I'll try to catch it with some Epsom salts before I get any spots.

That looks bad. Could be related to calcium, magnesium, or even perhaps potassium. Or, it is perhaps a fungus.

I'm curious about the soil they're in. If this occurred last year also and you're using some of the same soil, there could be a connection.

Have you considered re-potting into a different mix?

Its FUNGUS! NOT a deficiency. Sulphur or copper will wipe that out in a jiffy. More than likely, those leaves will be lost eventually and new ones will replace them.

Its FUNGUS! NOT a deficiency. Sulphur or copper will wipe that out in a jiffy. More than likely, those leaves will be lost eventually and new ones will replace them.

+1

just curious, were those leaves by any chance on the bottom of the plant where soil could have "splashed" up on them during watering?...if so, that is the origin of your problem...

I've got a few plants that I bought that have that and the ones I grew from seed are showing some spots. Is there a sulphur or copper product that is recommended?

I've got a few plants that I bought that have that and the ones I grew from seed are showing some spots. Is there a sulphur or copper product that is recommended?

as long as it is a "copper soap" fungicide, most any product would work...I use the ortho stuff...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1W1GGLL_en&biw=1097&bih=612&q=ortho+fungicide&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130711156743310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1083456671508684763&sa=X&ei=jvDoTaSyFabr0QHbl9nJAg&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAg#

Great thanks AJ - Maybe its because of all the crazy weather in New England this past months - but my wife is blaming the store we bought the plants as she lost all but 5 since.

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll get some fungicide. I was reading online that diluted milk and water can sometimes be used. Should I even attempt this or go with a proper product?

Are these hydroponic and indoor plants? IIRC you had some in a hydroton flood setup. If so, I think it's less likely that you have a fungal/bacterial issue assuming your ventilation and air circulation are working fine.

If you do decide to go with copper or copper/sulfur, go very light and use a surfactant like a drop of dish soap. It can burn your leaves if it spots and dries. I've never tried milk, but I have used an organic product called Serenade for powdery mildew. It works great for mildew, but not listed for BLS.

Good luck!

Edit: I've also found that hydroponic plants hold onto their old leaves much longer than soil plants. Many times the oldest leaves will look terrible because they would have fallen off long ago in a more natural environment.

They are indoor plants and grown with soil. Eventually they will go outside. I'm hoping with some sulphur and later in the season, strong sun, it will do well.

Are these hydroponic and indoor plants? IIRC you had some in a hydroton flood setup. If so, I think it's less likely that you have a fungal/bacterial issue assuming your ventilation and air circulation are working fine.

If you do decide to go with copper or copper/sulfur, go very light and use a surfactant like a drop of dish soap. It can burn your leaves if it spots and dries. I've never tried milk, but I have used an organic product called Serenade for powdery mildew. It works great for mildew, but not listed for BLS.

Good luck!

Edit: I've also found that hydroponic plants hold onto their old leaves much longer than soil plants. Many times the oldest leaves will look terrible because they would have fallen off long ago in a more natural environment.

as long as it is a "copper soap" fungicide, most any product would work...I use the ortho stuff...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1W1GGLL_en&biw=1097&bih=612&q=ortho+fungicide&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130711156743310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1083456671508684763&sa=X&ei=jvDoTaSyFabr0QHbl9nJAg&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAg#

AJ is there any big secret on applying this stuff or any "do's" or "don't do" things?

Back