• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Seeing as I am falling in love with the flavours of the Bhuts, and considering their heat isn't overwhelming and can be adopted for every day use, I have brought and have started to germinate some interesting new varieties, thanks to cmokinasschilli:

"So White" Bhut Jolokia
Purple Bhut Jolokia

Along with my:

Red Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

Going to be much fun!!

hmm smokinasschilli hasnt gotten back to me on the white bhuts yet. Has he sent everyones out and if so how long ago? I wanted to get a start on them quick.
Same as me... I think rain/storms is actually my favourite type of weather (not good for my babies right now though as they solely rely on sun for their sustenance )
Good news on the new growth Candice ...

My outside baby plants also seem to be doing ok despite the cooler night temps, with my super chilli even looking like he wants to flower at only ~10cm height ??
I think I will have to nip that in the bud (excuse the pun) quick smart if it does decide too.

4 new arrivals today, another NTR, Jonah, T.Scorp Butch T and my first Toro De Corno Rosso (not a hot one but sounds like a nice one all the same)
Still no signs of the Fatalii's, Purple Tigers or the mythical Hot Cherry's
Yeah it's surprising how well some plants have done. I wouldd nip it too if it is only that big.
I think you guys should give up on popping cherries...

I've been hunting down information on fertilisers for the upcoming season. Mind posting the numbers Orchid Focus label?

I saw both the Bloom and the non-Bloom variants of Orchid Focus at Bunnings.

Hey Harry, i will post the numbers up for you after work. From memory it's something like 10-3-10.

Alrighty am home now :D Guiness extra stout is yummy btw.

ORCHID FOCUS (doesn't say whether is flower or bloom)
Grams per litre.

Nitrogen-12.9
Phosphorus 3.1
Potassium 10.1
Calcium 10.0
Mgnesium 4.0
Sulphate 1.5
Iron 0.31
Manganese 0.095
Boron 0.021
Zinc 0.020
Copper 0.010
Molybdenum 0.005

I have been using a beer cap full per two litres, probably around half "weak strength" via their 5ml per litre guide.
Plants aren't dead.

Alrighty am home now :D Guiness extra stout is yummy btw.

ORCHID FOCUS (doesn't say whether is flower or bloom)
Grams per litre.

Nitrogen-12.9
Phosphorus 3.1
Potassium 10.1
Calcium 10.0
Mgnesium 4.0
Sulphate 1.5
Iron 0.31
Manganese 0.095
Boron 0.021
Zinc 0.020
Copper 0.010
Molybdenum 0.005

I have been using a beer cap full per two litres, probably around half "weak strength" via their 5ml per litre guide.
Plants aren't dead.
I had typed this out already so a quick copy and paste and here is the Chilli Focus label for contrast.

name - %w/v (whatever that means)
Nitrogen - 1.85
Phosphorus - 0.31
Potassium - 2.76
Calcium - 0.80
Magnesium - 0.42
Sulfate - 0.30
Iron - 0.031
Manganese - 0.0108
Boron - 0.0031
Zinc - 0.0020
Copper - 0.0015
Molybdenum - 0.0005

edit: A quick look suggests that the chilli focus numbers should be shifted one decimal point to give a correct comparison??

Gave my peltier fridge a service. Cleaned heatsinks and fans, re-applied thermal paste.
Got my order in for 50x50mmx70mm high square seedling pots. Much easier to cram into a box/tray, less wasted space, heaps good drainage.
Went to coles for their potting mix, looks the goods for seed raising, little or no soil, mainly large chunks of wood compost(?), and no fertilisers in it.
My order from THSC is on it's way.
I haven't killed any of my test old seedling over the past month, got to try some germination methods on them and get some heat and light. So all looking good.

01/08/2011, time to grow some chillies.

I had typed this out already so a quick copy and paste and here is the Chilli Focus label for contrast.

name - %w/v (whatever that means)
Nitrogen - 1.85
Phosphorus - 0.31
Potassium - 2.76
Calcium - 0.80
Magnesium - 0.42
Sulfate - 0.30
Iron - 0.031
Manganese - 0.0108
Boron - 0.0031
Zinc - 0.0020
Copper - 0.0015
Molybdenum - 0.0005

edit: A quick look suggests that the chilli focus numbers should be shifted one decimal point to give a correct comparison??

It does appear we can do a quick and dirty comparison, assuming 1 litre is 1000 grams, by shifting the decimal point in one of the sets:

Code:
Nutrient        Chilli  Orchid
Nitrogen        1.85    1.29
Phosphorus      0.31    0.31
Potassium       2.76    1.01
Calcium         0.80    1.00
Magnesium       0.42    0.40
Sulphate        0.30    0.15
Iron            0.031   0.031
Manganese       0.0108  0.0095
Boron           0.0031  0.0021
Zinc            0.0020  0.0020
Copper          0.0015  0.0010
Molybdenum      0.0005  0.0005

Alas there isn't more NPK/$ in Orchid Focus compared to Chilli Focus.

Anyone here bother testing their soil PH? If so, what do you use to do you do it and where did you buy it? Anyone used the 2in1, 3in1, 4in1 typical ebay meters, or a good reputable branded one sources locally?
I want to get everything right and not waste any of my new seeds I'm getting from THSC, most of my previous chilli growing exploits survived, but weren't spectacular (but it was winter and I had no lights, but still...
And I really want to test my mix (coles potting mix 40%, organic soil 40%, perlite 20%), with just mainly just the coles stuff for seed raising mix (using paper towels and containers for germination though), and I'm interested in what the pH is.

Anyone here bother testing their soil PH? If so, what do you use to do you do it and where did you buy it? Anyone used the 2in1, 3in1, 4in1 typical ebay meters, or a good reputable branded one sources locally?
I want to get everything right and not waste any of my new seeds I'm getting from THSC, most of my previous chilli growing exploits survived, but weren't spectacular (but it was winter and I had no lights, but still...
And I really want to test my mix (coles potting mix 40%, organic soil 40%, perlite 20%), with just mainly just the coles stuff for seed raising mix (using paper towels and containers for germination though), and I'm interested in what the pH is.

I definately do. I have one of those 4 in 1 testers(PH, Temp, Lux, Moisture) that someone posted in this thread many many pages ago.
Otherwise Bunnings have just a PH tester you can buy.

Micca

I Just got one of these (I think it was on Nova's recommendation)

pH Tester

I haven't used it as yet so can't comment on its effectiveness, but it really is only good for testing the liquid going in (or conversely coming out of the soil not the soil in situ)

But I also found these pH meters on ebay and posted them here and I assume thats what micca has (I kind of wish I had got one of these instead now)

4 in 1 pH tester

Well thought I would post some piccies of my outside garden.
Most of my Chilli have gone to shite now but there are a few exceptions like this Demon Hab outside under the eves of the house in a Hydro Channel.

Demon Hab

Demon Fruit

Also I have a 7-Pod Yellow in a pot out the front yard which has been flowering fruiting.

7-Pod Yellow

7-Pod Babies

And a few Tigerilla Toms

Tigerilla

Well it might be raining it's ass off here but at least I have something in the garden to look at from my window!

Micca

Yep that would be the one Candice. Not too sure what soil was used in the pot but it seems to be doing great with at least 10 pods on it already. I think this is setting more fruit now than in the peak of summer!

Micca

thats why i was asking cos my douglah that i got is doing great also and when ive had pests they have not attacked thst plant. the soil does dry out quicker but the plant looks great and a nice dark green. ive moved it to the hothouse as it has a heap of floer buds so i was hoping for some pods. i have noticed that all the superhots like it better when it is cooler and the sun isnt so intense.
when i gave him the seeds he told me that they make up their own soil with compost etc. might try and get in touch again and see exactly how he makes it.

Please do, please do, please do……… The soil seemed pretty heavy and dense and maybe sandy? The only protection it gets is from my bouganvillia so was really surprised to see pods forming in the cold that we have been getting.

Great to see the Douglah doing well too.

Micca

It does appear we can do a quick and dirty comparison, assuming 1 litre is 1000 grams, by shifting the decimal point in one of the sets:

Code:
Nutrient        Chilli  Orchid
Nitrogen        1.85    1.29
Phosphorus      0.31    0.31
Potassium       2.76    1.01
Calcium         0.80    1.00
Magnesium       0.42    0.40
Sulphate        0.30    0.15
Iron            0.031   0.031
Manganese       0.0108  0.0095
Boron           0.0031  0.0021
Zinc            0.0020  0.0020
Copper          0.0015  0.0010
Molybdenum      0.0005  0.0005
[
/code]

Alas there isn't more NPK/$ in Orchid Focus compared to Chilli Focus.
[/quote]

Booooooo! Bloody number trickery!
I should kung foo treachery their asses! :rofl:

thats why i was asking cos my douglah that i got is doing great also and when ive had pests they have not attacked thst plant. the soil does dry out quicker but the plant looks great and a nice dark green. ive moved it to the hothouse as it has a heap of floer buds so i was hoping for some pods. i have noticed that all the superhots like it better when it is cooler and the sun isnt so intense.
when i gave him the seeds he told me that they make up their own soil with compost etc. might try and get in touch again and see exactly how he makes it.

Maybe the soil had Neem cake in it (Simply a guess)?? It can make it seem sandy but might also explain the lack of pests as the plant uptakes the neem active constituents and makes it less likely to be attacked (not to mention feeding the plant with NPK)

My dry fert I am using has Neem cake in it (along with many other things) and is slow release over 3 months (doesn't burn the plant either).

Organic Link

17 bucks from bunnings for 4kg ... way too much for me but it was the smallest size they had :lol:

Maybe the soil had Neem cake in it (Simply a guess)?? It can make it seem sandy but might also explain the lack of pests as the plant uptakes the neem active constituents and makes it less likely to be attacked (not to mention feeding the plant with NPK)

My dry fert I am using has Neem cake in it (along with many other things) and is slow release over 3 months (doesn't burn the plant either).

Organic Link

17 bucks from bunnings for 4kg ... way too much for me but it was the smallest size they had :lol:
hadnt heard of that before, thanks for the link. I don't think he used anything like that though, i'm pretty sure it was all man made. Have sent an email so we will wait and see. He is a busy man though so don't know if i'll get a reply...

Back