• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
B25---Phytoseiulus-persimilis.jpg

Nom, nom, nom. :D
What am I looking at?

Megamoo's bad news post :tear:

Hows everyone going at popping their respective cherries? The answer is `better than me`

I was making more room for one of my two germination tubs on a high shelf, (whilst the tub was still on the shelf!) and I managed to knock it down and upend it. 12 little seed pots were tipped out into a big mess on the floor, all mixed together. I could have scooped them all back in but I wouldn't have a clue which variety was which, so I chucked the whole lot into a pot outside. Maybe when it warms up I will get a mystery volunteer.

The varieties included:
Hot Cherry x2 - the last of my Hot Cherry seed stock :( Zero Germination.
Asian Birdseye x2 - only 4 seeds left, Close to zero Germination so far, definitely zero pods.
Peppadew - only 5 seeds left Zero Germination so far
Bishop's Crown - seeds left.:) got one growing.
Peruvian White Habanero - lots of seeds left, got one growing, had one die mysteriously as a hook.
Bahamian Goat Pepper - got a few seeds (Thanks JR!) and one growing.
Red Bhut - plenty of seeds and got some growing.
Cayenne Gold x 2 - from an acid test.... :oops: No not that kind. I soaked a whole bunch in acid as a germination experiment. Got tons of these seeds and seedlings.

So I am out of the Hot Cherry race, but its not all bad news. I need to take a photo and I will do megamoo's good news post.

That sux Megamoo! Hopefully you will have them pop up in the other pot, but what a p... off that you won't know what is what. Once they get a little bigger then you should be able to tell the difference between the chinense and annumms and be able to narrow it down.
Hey if you want some Bird's Eyes I can help you out, just pm me your addy again.

That sux Megamoo! Hopefully you will have them pop up in the other pot, but what a p... off that you won't know what is what. Once they get a little bigger then you should be able to tell the difference between the chinense and annumms and be able to narrow it down.
Hey if you want some Bird's Eyes I can help you out, just pm me your addy again.
Thanks but don't worry about the Bird's Eyes, I've got enough varieties to keep me occupied! I only ordered them for my first grow because they were one of the few I had heard of. I'm surprised that being so popular I got such a low germination.

Megamoo's good news post.

Well after I took down my lights I thought, why just put up three or four lights when I could put up FIVE :D
lightsplants001.jpg

lightsplants004.jpg

And what I have going at the moment from small to big.
lightsplants010.jpg

lightsplants006.jpg

lightsplants009.jpg

lightsplants008.jpg

lightsplants007.jpg

The good news is that since I have stopped watering them so much, the yellowing of the older leaves has slowed to almost nothing. I have also been aiming a pedestal fan across the shelf to dry and cool and air them. I might add a few pinholes near the bottom of the cups because they are still showing moisture deep down that isn't draining quickly.

One more picture
lightsplants014.jpg

this one lost a few yellow leaves, but now its growth is all bunched into the head section. Is this a sign of a problem? anything to be concerned about ?

Megamoo's bad news post :tear:

Hows everyone going at popping their respective cherries? The answer is `better than me`

I was making more room for one of my two germination tubs on a high shelf, (whilst the tub was still on the shelf!) and I managed to knock it down and upend it. 12 little seed pots were tipped out into a big mess on the floor, all mixed together. I could have scooped them all back in but I wouldn't have a clue which variety was which, so I chucked the whole lot into a pot outside. Maybe when it warms up I will get a mystery volunteer.

The varieties included:
Hot Cherry x2 - the last of my Hot Cherry seed stock :( Zero Germination.
Asian Birdseye x2 - only 4 seeds left, Close to zero Germination so far, definitely zero pods.
Peppadew - only 5 seeds left Zero Germination so far
Bishop's Crown - seeds left.:) got one growing.
Peruvian White Habanero - lots of seeds left, got one growing, had one die mysteriously as a hook.
Bahamian Goat Pepper - got a few seeds (Thanks JR!) and one growing.
Red Bhut - plenty of seeds and got some growing.
Cayenne Gold x 2 - from an acid test.... :oops: No not that kind. I soaked a whole bunch in acid as a germination experiment. Got tons of these seeds and seedlings.

So I am out of the Hot Cherry race, but its not all bad news. I need to take a photo and I will do megamoo's good news post.
I've dropped a tray of seedlings/seeds in pots before and it sucks. Sorry to hear you lost some of your last seeds megamoo.
You want bad luck? Last year moved out of a house where I had all the fluoros I needed, but left them behind. There was also cabinets from the old kitchen that I lined with polystyrene for home brew, heaters, a modified fridge with a digital thermostat, sheets and sheets of polysterene. I get stuff all work in late winter/early autumn and got a lot of projects started for home brewing that would be handy right now for chilli growing. Left it all behind including all the flouros, and the house was demolished after I moved out and most if the good stuff was mine. Couldn't take it with me because of moving into a much smaller place and never thought I'd need it anyway...
I wish I had it all now.

edit: So that's what I should do with my old mobo boxes! :)

I get all obsessive compulsive when I have to throw out stuff because I KNOW I'll need it as soon its gone. To stop my home becoming a trash heap I've had to learn to listen to instinct.

I dropped a tray of the larger seedings in plastic cups but I got to them quick enough and put them all back in their right pots and none were damaged. The seed drop sucked because they were completely mixed together and I didn't have the time to go digging and stuffing around.

I need everything after I just threw it out to reduce clutter.
Need to move to a bigger house and have bigger sheds...

I'm no minimalist, I'm a tradie that works from home do need heaps of stuff (home office with filing cabinets, tools, spare parts, delivered parts for work, car stuff etc), and it is impossible to fit that gear in a 2br house, let alone stuff for my hobbies unfortunately.

Edit:

Progress:
Some pics

1)My magic peltier fridge, put seeds in, set it to 30C, watch seedlings come out.
sGeNw.jpg

2)Heated propagation mini green house.
eyiP9.jpg

3)Seedlings planted early june, doing nothing, maybe lack of light? I put them at the window sill, and take them outside every sunny day :(
Bottom middle one just sprouted today, top left looks invisible because it came out with purple leaves, and there's a basil in there as well.
C3TPd.jpg

4)I found my old work light and just sat it on top of the propagator be seemed not to help
aUywo.jpg

5)A box! went crazy with foil and glue
E0liX.jpg

6)cut holes, didn't need to measure and cut, just thought of a goonbox and did it from very strong memory
6p2k0.jpg

7) eat my dust, I now have 8 watts in a box!
UYzG8.jpg

8) no really I do have a decent light
eX99G.jpg

9) but no idea how to use it
vhJk4.jpg

Need to drill into the ceiling rafters and hang it somehow. Again no problems, this place will be demolished soon too, just don't think a 400w MH lamp is right for seedlings, or have all the gear needed to do it yet anyway.

Mega ... that sucks regarding the seeds but looks like you might be onto a winner with the new light shelf set up. GOOD LUCK!!

Pablo, if you have a Metal Halide light and lack natural light get it sorted bro!!! You will never look back with a MH light to get some quick leaf growth on those little plants (just don't fry them by having the light too close!!)

Surely you can rig up a little grow cab/frame and a couple of chains and hooks to hang the light??

Mega , off the topic of chilli's for a moment, whats up with all the motherboard boxes?? Are you like me and keep all your componant boxes after a build?? :lol:

Bummer with your seeds Megamoo. I hate it when you do something like that.
The light setup is looking good.

Pablo you have definately got the germination going. Just get that light happening and you will be laughing :cool:
Sorry don't know anything on the light though, maybe google it.

Micca

Good setup megamoo. Make sure those cups do have drainage holes, you have them sitting in containers anyway so they wont drip everywhere. Yellowing and dropping of leaves is usually a sign of overwatering, so it's good they are coming along now since you reduced it.
Oh by the way so you all dont feel so bad, when I worked at the nursery we would put all our potted plants on a trolley and take them out to the benches. The aisles are a really tight squeeze and you have to manouvre the trolley to get through. there has been a couple of times that I have knocked a few trays off the end of the trolley and had to repot, they hold 42 to a tray! That's fun when you are in production and have to get a certain amount done each day.

Mega , off the topic of chilli's for a moment, whats up with all the motherboard boxes?? Are you like me and keep all your componant boxes after a build?? :lol:

Yeah they are from computers I've built for myself and other people, just kept them over the years. I'm not much of a computer geek but it's cheaper to buy the components and build it yourself and it's not that hard to plug this into that etc. They are the right size for propping up the seedlings. :D

Candice I drilled holes in the bottoms of the cups but I think the problem is they sit so the holes are sort of sealed in underneath by the outside rim of the base... if that makes sense. I have to either prop them all up on a rack to let the air circulate under to the holes... or make new holes on the outside.
I haven't watered them for a few days and had the fan blowing over them, and you can still see condensation on the inside of the cups.

Yeah they are from computers I've built for myself and other people, just kept them over the years. I'm not much of a computer geek but it's cheaper to buy the components and build it yourself and it's not that hard to plug this into that etc. They are the right size for propping up the seedlings. :D

Candice I drilled holes in the bottoms of the cups but I think the problem is they sit so the holes are sort of sealed in underneath by the outside rim of the base... if that makes sense. I have to either prop them all up on a rack to let the air circulate under to the holes... or make new holes on the outside.
I haven't watered them for a few days and had the fan blowing over them, and you can still see condensation on the inside of the cups.

Yeah I am make computers as a sideline to my real job ... good fun

I would put some holes around the cups just up from the bottom on the sides as well that way you don't have to worry about propping them up or having them on racks and the holes can't get sealed off (same principal as an actual garden pot with the holes on the edge of the bottom to ensure this exact thing cannot happen)

Question for people who grow in containers. Do you normally use a saucer (or type of catchment container or simply have them on the ground?

If you use a catchment/saucer container what do you use (as the actual matching ones to pots almost cost the same as the pots themselves!!) I haven't been using anything but it causes a few issues with stains on the balconies tiles and run off and would like a cheap clean and tidy looking option?? Any ideas??

Yeah I am make computers as a sideline to my real job ... good fun

I would put some holes around the cups just up from the bottom on the sides as well that way you don't have to worry about propping them up or having them on racks and the holes can't get sealed off (same principal as an actual garden pot with the holes on the edge of the bottom to ensure this exact thing cannot happen)

Question for people who grow in containers. Do you normally use a saucer (or type of catchment container or simply have them on the ground?

If you use a catchment/saucer container what do you use (as the actual matching ones to pots almost cost the same as the pots themselves!!) I haven't been using anything but it causes a few issues with stains on the balconies tiles and run off and would like a cheap clean and tidy looking option?? Any ideas??

I'm feeling in a `doing` mood today. I just did what you said and drilled holes all around the bases... and then I put some towel hooks on the back of the bathroom door cos I've been meaning to. I've gotta scratch that power tool itch today. :lol:

If you don't have anything to recycle a cheap option is buy a pack of 200 plastic picnic bowls from the cheap ass store for a few bucks. They will probably disintergrate after a season of sun and won't stand up to any rough treatment but otherwise will do the job. For smaller pots I put a bunch in a lid of a plastic tub. It is more difficult than you'd think to find a wide plastic tray for nothing.

My 17th Rocoto sprout is up today bringing me to a today of 16 Rocoto seedlings. I must be close to 100% germination now from a spoiled overripe pod.

Back