• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Asian Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This is the Asian Throwdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choose any cuisine on the continent of Asia (using the 7-continent model).

Bang it out, foo it up, and win cool crown if you have the most votes.

Must include a hot pepper ingredient.

Proof of Life = $2.10 in a teaser pic, or in presentation pic.

You are allowed two entries max. Second entry must be from a different part of Asia.

To enter:

Create a post in this topic with a name for your entry, at least one presentation pic, ingredients, and cooking methods. All in one post please!

ENDS SUNDAY 11 PM EDT.

This is the Asian Throwdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Choose any cuisine on the continent of Asia (using the 7-continent model).

Bang it out, foo it up, and win cool crown if you have the most votes.

Must include a hot pepper ingredient.

Proof of Life = $2.10 in a teaser pic, or in presentation pic.

You are allowed two entries max. Second entry must be from a different part of Asia.

To enter:

Create a post in this topic with a name for your entry, at least one presentation pic, ingredients, and cooking methods. All in one post please!

ENDS SUNDAY 11 PM EDT.

Hey boss, as I'm doing dim sum, am I limited to 2 items for the plate or can I have multiples count as one entree on one plate?

Dim sum = entry :)

Try to get it all one one plate though. If not it's cool too.

"Proof of Life = $2.10 in a teaser pic, or in presentation pic"

Sorry, new to this. Does this mean to pop $2.10 into the photo of the dish to prove I didn't steal the jpg from a cooking website and pretend it's my own?

Blackseed,
that's it exactly. Money can be in pretty much any of the pictures, most put it in the ingredients or the final plate picture.
SL

edit- "teaser picture"- some like to post a picture of some(or all) of the ingredients they will be using in their dish, kind of like a "guess what I'm making". The teaser can be posted early, and your final pictures posted later, as long as it's before the deadline.

I'm heading to the store for a throwdown ingredient run... with a burning face from Texas Creek hotauce. That sure gets hot if you use enough of it on a fajita.

Teasuh!

34i0pyt.jpg

Huge thanks to Patrick for the powders and seeds. That's the choc bhut powder on top of the kimchi.

I'm heading to the store for a throwdown ingredient run... with a burning face from Texas Creek hotauce. That sure gets hot if you use enough of it on a fajita.

Glad to cause you pain. :halo:

I really, truly was not going to enter....until about 3:20 this afternoon. Honey convinced me that there are 3 Asian dished I know how to do well, so tomorrow will be the TD cook. I only had to buy 3 ingredients at the grocers, (meat, green beans, and hoisin sauce[which probably won't get used]) the rest is all on hand.

Although, I did have to raid the salsa kitchen for some tamari~

I'm looking forward to the entries from the first timers!

Any questions, just ask!

I am making thai spicy basil chicken fried rice from this recipe.

I modified the recipe, but it is pretty much the same thing.

For the peppers base, i'm using fresh peppers from this years garden. They are:

thai birds pepper
P1010634.jpg

super chillis
P1010635.jpg

early jalapenos to replace the bell peppers since i did not have any on hand :D
P1010637.jpg

I'm also using my own Thai Basil i'm growing :D
P1010636.jpg

Here are all the ingredients prepare for cooking:
P1010639.jpg

The chillis chopped up for cooking.

sorry about two posts, i think i have too many pics, so it made my last two images links, so i split the steps.

I'm using a wok to cook with:
P1010641.jpg

frying the garlic and peppers
P1010642.jpg

added the onion, chicken, and carrot sticks
P1010643.jpg

added the rice and basil
P1010644.jpg

and what thai dish doesn't go with some tasty fish sauce with thai birds peppers (Nam Plah Prik Kee Noo) which i used from my garden :D

and the money shot! Everything prepared for eating! It was good, esp with the fish sauce!
P1010647.jpg

Ok, I'm full.

I call this dish (?) A Korean Guy, a Chinese Guy and a Japanese Guy Walk Into a Bar. It combines elements of Korean (kimchi), Japanese (sushi) and Chinese (moo shu pork) cuisine, all liberally heated the hell up and served with a spicy hoisin dipping sauce.

Makin' the rolls. Salmon with Vietnamese green chile slivers.

2ezmpsn.jpg

34dsks7.jpg

Wokkin' it up. Made a marinade/wok sauce with oyster sauce, hot sesame oil, hoisin, corn starch, soy sauce, black pepper, lemon juice, and a few other things that I can't remember. To finish it off I mixed in a bunch of chocolate bhut powder from Patrick. Once the meat hit the hot wok it went off like a gas grenade. Cleared my girlfriend and the cat right the hell out of the kitchen, coughing. Thanks, Patrick. It was awesome.

Tossed in some shiitake mushrooms, garlic and soy bean sprouts, et voila.

33x8px3.jpg

Wrapped and plated up:

4j9u8l.jpg

Insides:

sp92ye.jpg

Blackseed,
that's it exactly. Money can be in pretty much any of the pictures, most put it in the ingredients or the final plate picture.
SL

edit- "teaser picture"- some like to post a picture of some(or all) of the ingredients they will be using in their dish, kind of like a "guess what I'm making". The teaser can be posted early, and your final pictures posted later, as long as it's before the deadline.

Great! Thank you for educating me! :)

Nova's Crappy Red Pork Rendition

Pork Brining in salt, garlic, ginger, paprika.
2011-05-08155003.jpg

Cook that
2011-05-08162629.jpg

Then add this, crushed onions, garlic and ginger.
2011-05-08162634.jpg

Reduce for about 45 min on low
2011-05-08190531.jpg

Serve it up on a bed of rice, voila!
2011-05-08190915.jpg

Had to keep this very mild so i only used a pinch of my naga/scorpion/7-pod/congo powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back