• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds For those who start hundreds of seedlings

I'm sold! In years past, I always mass sowed seeds in premium potting mix then after they developed true leaves, transplanted them into nursery trays. I was able to start close to 1000 seedlings at a time, but it used up every bit of space I had. This year, I needed more than double that for just tomatoes and looked at other media. The winner, by miles, was the 162-cell Oasis Horticubes. The are not as cheap as nursery trays but that is the only thing they lack.

First - The number that can be grown in a small space. I can start 486 plants in a space as small as 31x22" or double that in under 10 square feet. The savings in running enough lights almost pays for the cubes.

Second - no need to transplant. Unless you are starting plants to sell, there is no need to ever pot these up. They can grow to full transplant size in just the cubes. The roots will nearly fill them but the plants stay stocky and grow quickly. Imagine how much time is saved by not having to transplant 500 seedlings, plus not having to buy any potting mix or more pots.

I also sell plants so did need to transplant some. Piece of cake. Add a small amount of potting mix in the bottom of the cells, place the cube in it and fill around the sides. The seedlings never missed a beat and grew faster than I experience transplanting into potting mix only.

Third - ease of watering. It is next to impossible to overwater these things. I built a very simple box with 2.75" sides, threw a piece of plastic over it, set the trays in it and added water until the box was filled. That was it! After the water evaporates or is soaked up by the plants, add more. I use a small water pump that was used in a hydro grow. If one wants to add nuits, mix them in the water. The roots will actually grow out the bottom of the nursery flats.

Hardening off - this was not a concern for me this year, as the plants grew in a greenhouse where they got plenty of direct sunlight and with a fan, wind. But even if I did have to move them outside into the sun and then back inside, moving a tray of 162 plants at a time is far easier than nursery flats of 36-72 at once.

Germination rates - I experienced anything from 75-94 percent, depending on the variety. Most of the varieties were in the upper-80 to mid-90 range. And that was sowing only one seed per cell.

I highly recommend these things and no, I do not own stock in the company - only found they are the cat's meow when it comes to raising seedlings.

Mike

Thanks for letting us know about this product Mike.

Will definitely be looking to see if that is available up here.

link

dvg

Mike, you've experimented with a few different types of "growing cubes" if i'm remembering right. And these are the best you've tried so far?

If so, then that about nails it, i'm going to use these for C.Annuums in 2012.

Amazing how us Chili gardeners plan so far ahead of time, if we did this with our finances we would be retiring early!

Thanks for posting this.

Steve,

To each their own, but I personally have never liked the oasis cubes at all. I have much better success with rockwool or using premium "soil" in plastic cells

I have not found a high success rates with these types of cubes either. Next year, I'm doing just potting soil mixed with vermiculite even for my hydro plants. They just germinate and grow better that way.

Mike, you've experimented with a few different types of "growing cubes" if i'm remembering right. And these are the best you've tried so far?

Thanks for posting this.

Steve,

Steve,

I've tried el-cheapo potting mix and soil, premium potting mix, Speedling trays, nursery trays and pots, Styrofoam cups, Rockwool, Rapid Rooter plugs, Biodome inserts and Oasis Wedges as well as the horticubes. I looked at germination rates, seedling growth rates as well as quality, transplantation success, ease of potting up and costs (both for the media to start and grow the seedlings in as well as lighting).

Besides the growing advantages, I have saved hours, hours, not having to up-pot these things and watering. I spend maybe 5 minutes every three days watering up to 3,000 plants and four minutes of that is hauling rainwater to my reservoir! Last year, it would take me three hours or more, at least once week, to water 800 seedlings.

Mike

Mike,
I'm not sure if I'm blind or just missing something here.... But how the hell could the plants grow to full size in the Horticubes?? they are only small cubes after all... Or do you mean that they are fine in there until they get big enough to go into their final homes??

But these may just save me a lot of space and time this year...

Could you put some pics up of you're set up please.

:cheers:
Jas

This is a quote from the horticube instructions.

"When seedlings are of transplant size, simply cut the individual cubes with a knife and transplant into your medium."

what holds the starting medium in place to begin with? plastic, peat, net?

I am sure you know where I'm going with this...impedence of root growth...

Mike,
I'm not sure if I'm blind or just missing something here.... But how the hell could the plants grow to full size in the Horticubes?? they are only small cubes after all... Or do you mean that they are fine in there until they get big enough to go into their final homes??

But these may just save me a lot of space and time this year...

Could you put some pics up of you're set up please.

Jas

Yeah, Jas, until they are large enough to transplant to their final home. The ones I planted Saturday were ~6" tall.

I'll try to get some pics this afternoon if the sun comes out at all. It's almost dark now, so overcast. :(

This is a quote from the horticube instructions.

"When seedlings are of transplant size, simply cut the individual cubes with a knife and transplant into your medium."

what holds the starting medium in place to begin with? plastic, peat, net?

I am sure you know where I'm going with this...impedence of root growth...

AJ,

They are the medium. The roots grow in and through the Styrofoam-like cubes. I presume, that like nursery trays, jiffy pots, Speedling trays or any other media, that in time the root mass would overwhelm the cubes, though I have roots that are three inches long growing out the bottom.

Mike

Yeah, Jas, until they are large enough to transplant to their final home. The ones I planted Saturday were ~6" tall.

I'll try to get some pics this afternoon if the sun comes out at all. It's almost dark now, so overcast. :(

AJ,

They are the medium. The roots grow in and through the Styrofoam-like cubes. I presume, that like nursery trays, jiffy pots, Speedling trays or any other media, that in time the root mass would overwhelm the cubes, though I have roots that are three inches long growing out the bottom.

Mike

understand Mike...what about the sides of the cubes?

understand Mike...what about the sides of the cubes?

Some of them have roots growing through them as well!

roots2.jpg

roots1.jpg

I transplanted 54 of them Saturday (another 27 were in the Oasis wedges which I don't like near as much) and so far, they are doing okay. That's an achievement in and of itself, given we have had about 3" of rain since then.

Given how many plants you start, you ought to try a tray of them and see how the plants grow. If you like them as much as I do, you could probably start all your seedlings and grow them to transplant size in one grow chamber without ever needing to pot-up.

I transplanted these last Thursday. They will be ready to sell in a couple of weeks, if we ever get any sunshine! Sorry about the whiteness - the GH wall is lined with Mylar and a tiny bit of ambient light is available.

transplants.jpg

Mike

Those transplanted plants look great Mike!

When did you start your seed, and have you had to use any fertilizers yet this year on your plants, or did the horticubes supply their nutritional needs?

dvg

When did you start your seed, and have you had to use any fertilizers yet this year on your plants, or did the horticubes supply their nutritional needs?

dvg
I was going to ask the same question, can we ask what fertilizer regimen you used Mike?

Personally i was going to research an all-in-one type like Chilli Focus or something...

- Steve

dvg

Most of the plants were started from March 18-21. I didn't use any ferts for the first month or so, then started mixing Holly-tone (similar to Tomato-Tone) at a rate of one tablespoon per gallon. But... most of the nitrogen is not water soluble plus I keep adding rain water to the mixture. I guess the net result is very little ferts in the process.

When I transplanted the seedlings, I would make a batch of Ferti-lome Ultimate potting mix, enough to fill the 36-40 cells, add a tablespoon of Holly-tone and about a half a tablespoon of blood meal, then mix it up. If we had the normal amount of sun (lumens!), I don't think the plants would be as leggy. Ideally, we would get about 20-22 mols per day (minimum) and over the last week, we are closer to 10 mols per day.

Mike

Thanks Mike I think I'll have to have a look into these as it's coming up time for me to start again.... Aaaaaagh the tortures of loving the spicier things in life huh.... I still have plants with pods waiting to ripen but not sure if they will as we are having a colder than usual winter here. so I doubt they will make it to ripe... so this might be the go for next grow.

Jas

I just had a look at those 2 links and one has individual price of $6.50 or a 2 pack 1x1x1.5 for $14.95 or 2 pack 1x1.25x1.5 $15.95. Now my question is, what size to get and why is cheaper to buy them individually???

the other link had the plastic tray and cover for $18.95 but do they fit in a regular planter tray and cover??

Jas

Back