• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense is it dangerous to eat bhut jolokia??

im now more and more able to handle eating these peppers.. but now, im worried about potential side effects. will they cause anything serious if i ate more than im supposed to such as harming my internal organs??

If your concerned about side effects than your talking about a lot of heat.

I think that you will find they're not a lot of people out there who can handle the type of heat you're talking about. I think it would be prudent to gradually build your tolerance. The THP has loads of posting from members who didn't. Go slow and someday you'll be able to handle one of the real bad-boys.

I can eat a typical large pizza with 1 "Red Bhut", 1 "Choc Bhut" and 1 "TS". Believe me…I am still not ready to take the leap yet!!

I've read of stomach pain lasting all night with the head hanging over the toilet.

Doesn't that sound like fun?

I don't think it is 'dangerous' per se but everyone's bowels have a different reaction to superhots. I know when I mixed a bunch of douglahs with some cheese salsa, my guts decided it was time to have a "Code Brown evacuation"!!! :sick:

dangerous? no. All of the effects are indeed temporary and at most will last around 24 hours if you over-do it.
as previously said, go slow, and once in every while take it a bit further. I am at a point where no (non-extract) sauce is easy as pie and no peppers I can buy at any shop in this city will increase my tolerance. Growing some nagas and will will be growing some real habaneros next year... I can eat dried jolokia's no worries, in fact I did that yesterday but it's just not the same.

So what happens when you can tolerate those peppers? You still need a diet with strong peppers occasionally to maintain that tolerance so I hear... strange because my father-in-law (soon to be =D) has maintained his tolerance without ever going overboard or eating anything I would call a hot pepper - everything he eats is annum and rarely a birds-eye.

GO SLOW, OCCASIONALLY ABUSE. DON'T RUSH - you will get there one day. I maybe even going to try a scorpion later this year and I guarantee I am not ready for it, but I would love to experience something that hot because it probably won't happen for a few years after that.

In fact I found my tolerance didn't go anywhere until I started with habaneros, and even then it has taken a while to be able to eat them whole without worrying about it being too much.

Look we are talking close to pepper spray. Ain't bad in small doses but you wouldn't want to eat a pound of them.You could eat enough double cheeseburgers from McDonalds to kill your self. :crazy:

Like it's been said, your body will let you know when it has something it doesn't like. Just see how you feel from little bits, and build from there. Before you know it, YOU will have a HOT POOPER!!

It's really fun. Just don't snort or inhale the powders.
mouthonfire.gif

Outch... Yeah that could hurt. Maybe you should have built up a tolerance to that as well. I saw an episode on some UK TV show Goron Ramsay had where woman rubbed them in her eyes. I couldn't believe it. Here is the link
Fubar if your ready to give it a shot again make sure you bring your camcorder :)

Some people apparantly lack the receptors that tell your brain that the capsaicin is hot, that women is one of them.

i've had superhot powder in my eyes and nose, from sniffing them (a little too hard). lol.

and another time when i rubbed my eye after putting some powder in my soup. stupid me.

Painful... hell yes. Dangerous? Well, as mentioned above all effects are temporary. Though some of them (stomach pain, frequent burning shits the next day) you will wish didn't occur.

But let me just say... I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, and I would take the stomach pain from too much hot pepper over the stomach pain from my IBS any day. They both suck major ass, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the pepper pain if I had the choice (even if it's more likely to be accompanied with burning shit/diarrhea). It tends to be painful in a different way, somewhat more tolerable, but doesn't last near as long. Luckily, my IBS stomach pain only occurs once every several months. I've nearly eliminated high fructose corn syrup from my diet (used to be a caffeine fiend and drink several 12-packs of Mountain Dew LiveWire a week :eek: ), and although it hasn't eliminated the IBS symptoms, it has made them less painful overall.

On an episode of Mythbusters ("Hot Chili Cures"), when asked if you could "die from eating a chile that's too hot," Dave DeWitt says that potential exists that you could possibly die of suffocation because your lungs would just shut down if you ate too much of something extremely hot. And I would imagine the mind-blowing pain and paranoia could possibly cause a heart attack or something just out of shock, who knows, but don't take that one as fact... it's just a guess on my part.

Now... I'll admit that I've never ate a whole super-hot pepper before (barely even a sliver of one... yeah, I'm a pussy when it comes to eating hot peppers whole and I freely admit it...). But habaneros tend to take my breath away (literally) when I eat them whole and the pain extends all the way up to my ears, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least somewhat true (though unlikely).

Your Body will tell you when it's had enough. Trust me it will.

The only real danger I know of with eating Super hots, is giving your wife a nice kiss right after you eat one so that she gets the burn to. I get hit for that a lot.

Your Body will tell you when it's had enough. Trust me it will.

The only real danger I know of with eating Super hots, is giving your wife a nice kiss right after you eat one so that she gets the burn to. I get hit for that a lot.

was eating habs whole from the garden late one night.. gave the mrs a kiss good night and got banished to the couch...

From the capsaicin MSDS's I have here, a 90kg/200lb person would need to ingest between 4 & 12 grams of pure capsaicin to hit the LD50* point.**

A quick non-caffeinated calculation makes that about a 40-120gram ButchT Scorpion, or a 60-200gram Naga Jolokia (based on record high SCU of those chillies). Milder versions of those chillies would require more to get the same effect.

The roughness comes down to differing LD50 data. One says 47.2 mg/kg, the another 150 mg/kg.

*LD50 = Lethal Dose to 50% of test subject, usually rat. Some die at less, some die at more, averages are taken.
** Numbers may not be accurate, happy to be corrected, your mileage may vary, don't try at home, batteries sold separately.

Back