• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating seeds

This method was posted by Neil from the Hippy Seed Co. and referenced by TheHotPooper on another posting. It involves nothing more than placing a plastic container inside of another which is filled with water, adding a submersible aquarium heater and an airstone for water movement. I have the heater set at 86 degrees Farenheit and I also utilize an external thermometer with a probe to measure the temperature. I placed 24 Douglah seeds (taken from pods which I purchased from SilverSurfer) into Gen Hydro Rapid Rooters. I set this up on Jan 11th and placed the seeds into the plugs on the 12th. Within 4 days, I had seeds germinating. Great results I'd say.
IMG_1044.jpg

I utilized an Alita 3.75 inch circular airstone
IMG_1047.jpg

Cell tray filled with Gen Hydro Rapid Rooter plugs
IMG_1046.jpg

An overall pic with the cover off
IMG_1045-1.jpg

I have the container placed on one of my grow shelves which is lined with Permaflect. I keep one of the 4' fluorescent lights on to help with controlling the temperature. I was concerned with the growing media getting saturated with water from the condensation but I have not had any problems as of yet. Hope the pics help with anyone wanting to experiment with this idea. I have not had any issues of any mold forming on the plugs. The one discolored plug is just a discoloration in one of the plugs.

Very cool set up. Might be expensive to do for lots of seeds but for the majority starting an average amount, it looks like a great method.

I got great germination rates and times this summer when I tried RR (didn't need to use a heater - the room was in the mid-80s or higher most of the time!). But for reasons I have yet to discern, the toms were all leggy, even when under a 600 watt MH bulb. Plus, at $30 for 100 plugs, they are a bit pricey.

One thing to consider - either paint the outside container or put a towel or sheet around it. It doesn't take long for algae to grow. Of course, it won't hurt anything but it looks like crap!

Mike

Back