• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Identify my hopefully Bhut Jolokia plant/pods

I’m new and this is my first post here, I bought and grow the supposed to be Bhut Jolokia seeds last year, about 10 seeds from beginning in pots, some 4 plants produced but only 2 plants survive, one still slow grow, no flower yet, the other is full grow to about 3 foot and produced some 50 pods, some small, some larger, some round, some sub-conical to conical shape, I will insert some pictures of my pepper plant, would someone please let me know if this plant is a true Bhut Jolokia or not? I’ve tried to slice a paper thin slice of one of the red pod to taste and it was really hot with a nice aroma. Thanks for any comment. http://picasaweb.google.com/104990928403105122046/041?authkey=Gv1sRgCIynyrj6yKH-Lg#

Yeah I was gonna say, all the Naga Morich I have grown are much thinner and very bumpy. I would agree with the Dorset Naga diagnosis or a cross. Looks real nice either way. Definitely doesn't look like true Bhut Jolokia though.

Yeah I was gonna say, all the Naga Morich I have grown are much thinner and very bumpy. I would agree with the Dorset Naga diagnosis or a cross. Looks real nice either way. Definitely doesn't look like true Bhut Jolokia though.

Does cross means because it was grow close to other pepper plants? I have to atmit that there are yellow habanero and other Thai's pepper very close to this pot and were flowering at the same time more or less. If so how to avoid crossing?

Does cross means because it was grow close to other pepper plants? I have to atmit that there are yellow habanero and other Thai's pepper very close to this pot and were flowering at the same time more or less. If so how to avoid crossing?

It wouldn't be from what you have near your current crop, it would have been from the previous grower whom you received the seeds from. Where did you get the seeds from?

"Crossing" happens when the pollen from flower polinates another flower. So, in other words, the previous grower probably had his plants touching another plant. Either way, they will still taste good, Im sure.

my first guess was dorset also...but where I am, those seeds are harder to come by than Bhuts, Bihs, or Nagas...

IMO they all are very close in heat...very extreme...

It wouldn't be from what you have near your current crop, it would have been from the previous grower whom you received the seeds from. Where did you get the seeds from?
OK, I ordered the Bhut Jolokia seeds from this place in FL http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bhjoseandpl.html , I remembered recieved 1 dry pod (bonus) along with the seeds ordered.

OK, I ordered the Bhut Jolokia seeds from this place in FL http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bhjoseandpl.html , I remembered recieved 1 dry pod (bonus) along with the seeds ordered.

Looking at that site the pic of their Bhut seems to at least be consistent with the plant you are growing so I think they themselves don't know what a true Bhut Jolokia is. This seems to be the case at many non-pepper focused seed places. That place seems to be quite a ripoff anyway..12 "Bhut" pods for $26.95 at their sale price with their "normal" price at $39.95? WOW...I got about 12 from Cross Country Nursery for only $5...and they were real Bhuts.

I can send you some seeds that I got from the true Bhuts if you would like, just send me a PM.

I get so tired of sellers ripping people off. These folks may not be doing it intentionally though, could be ignorance. Agree on the outrageous price for the Bhut plants too.

If you want true, 100% Bhut Jolokia seeds go to the original source in the U.S. The Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University: http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/ It's the only place I've ever purchased B.J. seeds and they have always grown true.

Looking at that site the pic of their Bhut seems to at least be consistent with the plant you are growing so I think they themselves don't know what a true Bhut Jolokia is. This seems to be the case at many non-pepper focused seed places. That place seems to be quite a ripoff anyway..12 "Bhut" pods for $26.95 at their sale price with their "normal" price at $39.95? WOW...I got about 12 from Cross Country Nursery for only $5...and they were real Bhuts.

I can send you some seeds that I got from the true Bhuts if you would like, just send me a PM.
Thanks Roadhouse, message sent. Yes I've noticed their Bhut's pix looks very much the same as mine, nothing like a real Bhut but I did not know then before ordering, my ignorant sorry. I know now . Thanks

Its a shame that some supliers are not only mistaken about the Naga's and Bhut Jolokia, but then they add greed to it, as they know some people will pay almost anything to get the real deal and then in up with a close look a like after shelling out way to much for what they get. At least here you are sure to get the real deal, and at a good price if not free for a small trade. George W. :mouthonfire:

Hm, weren't there a thread a while back questioning the difference between all these Bhuts, Bihs, nagas etc. I would assume that they are strains of the same pepper thereby making it impossible to say that anything isn't true because there is no true.

The dorset for example if I'm correct is just a variety developed from indian seeds in dorset?

Also the indian sub continent is huge and almost a billion people living there, seems incredible if there whouldn't be variation among the bhuts gron there. Even if it isnt as widely cultivated as say the standard green cayenne type thats common over there.

I tasted one of his pods today...it definitely has the heat and flavor of a Bhut Jolokia or Naga Morich. The skin is smooth and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being a Bih Jolokia. Like someone else said, the Dorset Naga seems to be a rarer strain to come by so chances of it being that are slimmer. Still a mystery!

I tasted one of his pods today...it definitely has the heat and flavor of a Bhut Jolokia or Naga Morich. The skin is smooth and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being a Bih Jolokia. Like someone else said, the Dorset Naga seems to be a rarer strain to come by so chances of it being that are slimmer. Still a mystery!

hey Roadhouse, thanks for id & tasting my pod, I just take your word it's a "close relative" of Jolokia, it also nice to know its heat comparation + flavor to Bhut or Naga since I have never tried any pepper hotter than this before and was hopping that it's a true Bhut Jolokia but apparently it was not. I still love the aroma from these mistery pods though.

Back