labels Label Making

I have a design I created over the weekend for a label I would like to use on my sauces. I don't sell them (yet) though I would love to once I get enough recipe's and plants under my belt. Anyway I am wondering if any of you have any online sources that are reliable and affordable for making short run labels of like less than 100 maybe? Thanks for the help.

I have a design I created over the weekend for a label I would like to use on my sauces. I don't sell them (yet) though I would love to once I get enough recipe's and plants under my belt. Anyway I am wondering if any of you have any online sources that are reliable and affordable for making short run labels of like less than 100 maybe? Thanks for the help.

If you do find someone would you please post it? I made a few out of blank bumper sticker material and printed them out on computer but a real pain.
Dick C. (zdizeez)

I'm headed to town right now to do a short run-

You can use Avery (or other label brands) that come on 8x11 sheets and are 14-up, 10-up or 6-up to the page and run them through your home printer. (Avery has free templates you can download for the different label sizes.)

BUT- The ones I have are full color, so I put the design onto a flashdrive and take it to the local copy store. They take the design off the flashdrive straight to their printer and run out however many sheets I need, full laser color printing.

Make sure you contact the store to see what formats they can "read"! My local print store printer doesn't read my graphics program so I have to save it in another format like pdf that it will read.

I also buy my labels there at the store, so I don't feel guilty about taking the box in, running a few pages and then saving the rest for later. It's a small little local business, not a big chain store. I'd feel bad about bringing labels I bought elsewhere into their store.

Some copy stores may take designs off of a CD, but call them to see.

Hmmmm I might have to look into that. I just know that what I have made is 3" tall and 5" long. The length cant be any longer since at that length both ends pretty much touch once wrapped around the bottle. But the height can change though I do like the 3" as it is. Maybe I need to hook it up at the same place you go to. Most of what we have up here are Kinkos and other "bigger" chains. Id much rather support the smaller guy who does just as good of quality and isn't as expensive.

Just use the Kinkos- you'd have to deal with shipping etc--- It's nice to want to support the little guy, but it's not really practical in this situation.

Here's an Avery 10-up label that's close to that size. It's worth it to adjust your design to fit the pre-cut sizes of labels instead of trying to cut them from full-sheets of label stock.
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Labels/Shipping-Labels/White-Shipping-Labels_08164.htm?N=4294967286%204294965537&Ns=Rank|0||Product%20Number|1&refchannel=d6c759baa4c2a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

and a 10-up template-
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Templates/Labels/Address-Labels/Basic-Address-Label-10-per-sheet_Microsoft-Word.htm?N=4294963712%204294965673&refchannel=ff06379e6fa72210VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

what program are you using for the design work? MS Word or similar or a full on graphics program?

also, the sheets of labels come in small packs of 10 sheets or larger packs of 100 sheets. Helpful once again for those smaller runs.

for my home made hot sauce labels I just used Avery's online design and print program, avery.com has the application and a lot of sample labels, I created my label from one of their samples then printed to my printer. I have a lot of 3" X 1" plain paper labels and printed a sheet.

I couldn't figure out how to put an image in MS Word then have an ingredient list along the side of the image, then again I didn't feel like researching on how to do it in Word, the avery application made it easy.

It is not a graphic design application, just a simple program to put images and text then print to your printer.

Well I more than know my way around Photoshop so I do all my work in there. So all I really need to do is buy the labels then import the template to Photoshop and get printing then, after adjusting the size of course.

Thanks again for your help Salsalady

Well for those of you that might be interested, here is what I came up with for my design. I even got a little help from the fiance. That area where the flavor is was her idea to have it there instead of where I had it. I think it turned out quite nice. Well tell me what you guys think. :D

Crazy8v2.png

pretty nice looking label.

make sure the ingredients are in descending order and check the wording in your description. It's like one long rambling sentence.

pretty nice looking label.

make sure the ingredients are in descending order and check the wording in your description. It's like one long rambling sentence.

Yeah, I think I got the ingredients in correctly but will alter the list as needed upon finishing the recipe when I make it and after any tweaks. Yeah I should look at that description, thanks for pointing that out.

Because I value your input so much, is this better? I sometime can get carried away with the grammatical stuff.
Crazy8v2-1.png

I also originally had a Nutrition Facts thing on the label but I figured since I had to cut an inch off and the size of the Nutrition Facts itself, I could save space just by labeling the ingredients on the bottle. :D

Nutritional Facts are not required for small operations, but you do have to file the proper paperwork.

You may find when the label gets wrapped around the bottle, "hot Sauce" will not be on the face of the bottle. Try shifting everything on the face of the bottle to the left, put "hot Sauce below Crasy8, and put all the descriptions, heat scale, etc on the right. That layout, may not look so good on the flat screen, but might work better on a bottle/jar.

Also, most AHJ's require contact info like business name address etc. That's up to your AHJ as to what that is exactly.

Nutritional Facts are not required for small operations, but you do have to file the proper paperwork.

You may find when the label gets wrapped around the bottle, "hot Sauce" will not be on the face of the bottle. Try shifting everything on the face of the bottle to the left, put "hot Sauce below Crasy8, and put all the descriptions, heat scale, etc on the right. That layout, may not look so good on the flat screen, but might work better on a bottle/jar.

Also, most AHJ's require contact info like business name address etc. That's up to your AHJ as to what that is exactly.

- So if I were just handing this out and not selling it is there still paperwork that needs to filed? What kind of paper work DOES need to be filed for small operations?
- What is "AHJ"?
- I know it doesn't look like it but also thought of that "hot sauce" thing. I thought I was being all smart thinking "Hey I should make sure when this sits on a shelf that the name and flavor can be read without turning the bottle". As it is the very bottom of the yellow text on the left and the top of the text on the right are pretty much the side lines. So my name/logo, flavor, and heat rating all fit. :D

As long as your just giving it away you shouldn't have any problems. One question I had about your ingredients was what was the final PH? As far as labels, I print my
own on my PC and printer, I use photo gloss labels which "fix" the ink to make it waterproof and a Epson printer equipped with a CISS (Continuous ink supply station)to keep my ink costs down, the price per label is actually pretty close to what I would pay for a large run ( which if you get to that point by all means have them done professionally, it will save you $)btw , nice label! :)

As long as your just giving it away you shouldn't have any problems. One question I had about your ingredients was what was the final PH? As far as labels, I print my
own on my PC and printer, I use photo gloss labels which "fix" the ink to make it waterproof and a Epson printer equipped with a CISS (Continuous ink supply station)to keep my ink costs down, the price per label is actually pretty close to what I would pay for a large run ( which if you get to that point by all means have them done professionally, it will save you $)btw , nice label! :)

- I am just giving it away right now but I would LOVE to get into selling it at some time. I wouldn't quit my day job but it would be fun to do this.
- I dont have a PH tester as of yet.
- I to will be printing my own labels and I think I am going to start with the Avery labels salsalady suggested and once I figure out how to import the template into Photoshop CS4.
- I always thought it would just be cool to have a CISS. :D
- Thanks for the compliment. :)

"Authority Having Jurisdiction"

as long as you are just giving it away, no worries about all that, just make sure it's processed properly.

just picked up a run from the local office supply store. They charge .45-.50/page for color copies. Depending on the number of labels per page, that puts them .04-.09 per label.

We don't have a CISS, and I hate/our Canon printer because it wastes so much ink. I've never actually kept count of how many color copies we can get out of a cartridge, but it's just SO much easier to have the copy store do it at that price.

Hope the info helps.

It does help. As you know I am all about helping the little guy but I also love doing things myself. Maybe after we get our house the fiance will let me get the Epson printer I want and hook up a CISS to it. The printer is nothing really fancy just something that will do nice digital prints, print on to CD's and since it uses 6 (i think) colors the pictures/labels should be quite nice.

Back