• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Seafood Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
TEASER!

Slow smokin' over hickory/apple/oak combo.

This is a tease... it ain't gonna look like this later.

Attachments

• salmonteaser1.jpg
    salmonteaser1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 92
  • salmonteaser2.jpg
    salmonteaser2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 89
  • salmonteaser3.jpg
    salmonteaser3.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 87
Floribbean grilled Grouper with a boat-load of Yellowtail Snapper Ceviche

I don't always drink beer, but when I DO... I prefer Dos Equis. I had to grow a seven day stubble beard just to be able to summon the mojo to give this Floribbean dish justice. But no games... no hoodwinking or bamboozling here... it's straight to the food.

Ingreeds:

Ceviche:
1/2 # yellowtail snapper cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 red onion chopped fine
1 green onion
2 plum tomatoes
1/2 cucumber
4 limes juiced
2 lemons juiced
1/2 cup orange juice
2 serranos sliced thin w/ seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt
Mix and let marinate for 1 hour. Mix occasionally.
~ a hand full of chopped cilantro (add and mix directly prior to serving)

serve in cucumber canoe

Grilled grouper:
1# black grouper fillet

Grouper dry rubbed with...
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground garlic
1/4 tsp powdered orange habanero (last year's crop is the best vintage)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp paprika

Rub grouper fillet on both sides and wrap in plastic. Let cure in the fridge for a half hour... or until it stops raining.
Hose liberally with olive oil right before placing on searing hot grill. This WILL flame! Grouper like being tickled by fire. They HATE cinnamon. Immediately turn grill down to medium heat. Cook ~ 4-5 minutes first side. Flip once and grill other side ~ 3-4 minutes. DON'T play with your meat when it's on the grill!

Plate grouper on fire roasted red bell pepper. Drizzle with Marie Sharp's white label (or hot sauce of choice). Serve with saffron rice and boat-load of yellowtail snapper ceviche. Add foo' as seems fit.

IMG_2406.jpg

Disclaimer: Some ingreeds depicted in photo above may not have been used in final plating.

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

SoFlo Posse

Sum, holy crap dude. That looks awesome!
Your best throwdown yet! Cracking a busch light in honor of that greatness!

Wicked, yours is STRONG too! Way to use local fish and the better tasting Florida Spiny!!!!
The peninsula that we share is home to some of the best seafood in the world!!!!!! Great entry.

I am going to be up against the clock tomorrow...hope I make it in time!

That sure does look purrty Sum, but why the fishing poles in the background and the store-bought fish? :lol: Either way that looks like a plate of goodness I would like to bury my face in. Rock on SoFlo.

Sum, holy crap dude. That looks awesome!
Your best throwdown yet! Cracking a busch light in honor of that greatness!

Werd FD. I wolfed down the grouper in the forefront of the pics. It was so intensely delicious it put me in a trance and I barely remembered to keep drinking my beer(s). The other half of the fillet has your name on it. Good luck with the timing tomorrow. I wanna see some manatee steaks on the grill!

Fishies must not have been biting today, huh?

I have a 459 pound Manney ready to go, but I don't have any gas for my chainsaw. Hence the time Crunch. He is resting comfortably in my pool until I figure out what to do.

That sure does look purrty Sum, but why the fishing poles in the background and the store-bought fish? :lol: Either way that looks like a plate of goodness I would like to bury my face in. Rock on SoFlo.

Thanks J. Had to hit up the local fishmonger since I seemed to be trying to catch fish on their day off. The only thing biting were pinfish... notorious bait-stealers down here. Frustration was ended in an hour when my dozen shrimp ran out. The poles in the background.?. :beer:

Pulled Salmon Sliders
(with Homemade Chipotle Mayo, Avocado, and Pickled Red Onions Infused with Ginger)

1. Marinate the salmon (this was a beer-based marinade with chile peppers, mustard, and spices).
2. Prepare pickled red onions with one large red onion cut into rings, red wine vinegar, fresh ginger, two teaspoons of "Sugar In The Raw", and sea salt. Simmer until soft and put aside and let pickle.
3. Prepare homemade chipotle mayo with chipoles in adobo (diced) and mayonaise.
4. Smoke the salmon for 3 hours over a hickory/oak/apple wood combo (last hour in foil with beer marinade).
5. Let it rest a bit, then shred by hand. (Heck it even looks like pulled pork. Look at that bark!)
6. Toast Martin's Potato Rolls (the small ones for sliders) on grill.
7. Assemble sandwich with pulled salmon, chipotle mayo, avocado, and pickled red onions.

Take a look! They were awesome. I didn't take a pic with the top on i ate them :oops:.

:lol:

Attachments

• pulledsalmonsliders.jpg
    pulledsalmonsliders.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 130
  • pulledsalmon.jpg
    pulledsalmon.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 120
  • smokedsalmon.jpg
    smokedsalmon.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 90
Good show THP! Pulled salmon is hilarious, but it looks fantastic. That smoked salmon would have made a hell of a fish dip! I bet it was better as a slider.

Wow THP, nice thats some serious chow, never saw the salmon sliders comin' ,kinda like the Spanish Inquisition :) nobody expected it , totally blind sided nice display of awesomeness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back