• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Trini Scorp CARDI

One of the plants I'm growing from cmpman1974's Trini Scorp CARDI seeds isn't following directions well and instead of turning a nice yellow is producing red pods. I was wondering if anyone else who got seeds from him is experiencing the same thing?

IMG_5412re.jpg

I'm really digging the cool things that are going on in my little pepper patch this year.

I got some seeds from you patrick. There are about a dozen unripe peppers on my plant, I'll let you know what color they become.

I can't tell for sure but a picked a small early pod to get the plant to grow more and it looked like it wasn't a scorpion.

Just to let folks know I'm not disappointed at all. Unless I'm told otherwise I always assume traded or gift seeds may not grow true.

I'm having a cool year with crosses and couldn't be happier with things.

From the picture on their website, the Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI that semillas.de sells doesn’t really look like a scorpion either. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

Beaglestorm

Just had my first one ripen this weekend. I have a pic of it yet, but haven't uploaded it yet. I will get it in a little while. Nice scorpion shape and an orangish yellow. All my yellows are dark this year though. I think it is too much sun because the half of the CARDI that was shaded was a lot lighter that the side that wasn't even though the shaded side turned first.

jacob

Interesting Jacob, because a lot of my peppers are ripening a lot faster on the non shaded side.....i think. Or it's the other way around. Either way I think I need to spin my plants everyday from now on.

My experience with it is they dont all have the stingers not even 50% but depends on the climate.Cool plant though. But hers my plant from last year. I save tons of seeds of it. The plant was polinated inside!
4455313175_daed480e40_o.jpg

JJS, that's a perfect representation. Potawie, no they are not on the superhot heat scale. I'd say 8 out of 10. Maybe 8.5. PRF described them well last year. Great flavor though and actually usable in many dishes. :) The pod shape is highly variable so when people say less than 50% of pods are 'Scorpion shaped', it's a true statement. Turning red...well, that's another story. :) I'd love to see some red ones with tails.

It's nice to see so many child pods growing from the Mother plant(s).

Chris

JJS, that's a perfect representation. Potawie, no they are not on the superhot heat scale. I'd say 8 out of 10. Maybe 8.5. PRF described them well last year. Great flavor though and actually usable in many dishes. :) The pod shape is highly variable so when people say less than 50% of pods are 'Scorpion shaped', it's a true statement. Turning red...well, that's another story. :) I'd love to see some red ones with tails.

It's nice to see so many child pods growing from the Mother plant(s).

Chris

Its a great plant Chris!! yes nice flavour and getting a lot of stingers now with the heat in the last week.

Cheers

Well, I tasted it yesterday. No camara to make a video, but I gotta say that the flavor is one of the best I have tried yet. Very sweet and fruity without an overwhelming heat. In fact this one wasn't very hot as well. Maybe around a hab or a little less. Maybe future pods will be a little hotter. Great pepper though. Definately a keeper. Chris was right that these could be used in about anything. At the heat yesterday, fresh use isn't out of the question, would be great in cooking, make a great powder, and when I get more I will make a sauce from it as well.

Thanks Chris for sharing it with us!
jacob

Back