• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Blafa's indoor garden 2010. First time grower. [Many pictures]

Blafa's indoor garde 2010. First time grower. [Many pictures]

Hello everyone, Doing my first real post here. I'm a novice chiligrower, growing for my first year in a basement where I also live. Chilis and hot foods have always been a passion of mine. My favourites in taste and cooking have been the hot chinense's variates and that's what I'm focusing on, though I'm growing a quite wide selection of other chilis I've come across and found interesting. Seeds have been collected, some bought from Fatalii, The Chilli Pepper Company as well as swedish nursery Örtagården.

This is a list of I'm what growing currently, still awaiting 1 more delivery from Fatalii and hopefully I will germinate those seeds this year.

[Last edited 04/08]
C. chinense 'Habanero, Red '
C. chinense 'Habanero, Caribbean Red '
C. chinense 'Habanero, Brown Large
C. chinense 'Habanero Lemon'
C. chinense 'Habanero, Orange'
C. chinense 'Fatalii'
C. chinense 'Naga Morich' - Nagaland strain. Imported seeds.
C. chinense 'CPI. Bhut Jolokia' - Seeds from The Chile Pepper Institute
C. chinense 'Trinidad Scorpion' - Morouga Blend, said to be hotter then a Bhut, time will tell!
C. chinense 'Pimenta da Neyde' - Very hot, black or purple leaves.
C. chinense 'Pink Habanero' - Habanero taste without the heat!

C. annuum "Hungarian" - Bought at a market place in budapest, medium hot typical annuum look.
C. annuum 'Apache'
C. annuum 'Chiluacle Negro'
C. annuum 'Hot Lemon'
C. annuum 'CAP 1042' aka. Prik Ki Nu - A hot thai chili with very piercing pungency.
C. annuum 'CAP 1473 (C. microcarpum)'
C. annuum 'Fish pepper'
C. annuum 'Monkey Face'
C. annuum 'Nepal Snakebite'
C. annuum 'Short Yellow Tabasco' - Ornamental plant with stingy heat.

C. baccatum 'Jamican Bell'
C. baccatum 'Starfish'
C. baccatum 'Don Xaun Market'
C. baccatum 'CAP 220' - Fastest one to germinate, 4 days.

C. pubescens 'Turbo Pube (PI 585267)' - Large, yellow, tasty rocotos.

C. unknown "Thai red hot" - A small hot red chili from thailand. Bought dry pods from a local asian market. I don't have a proper name for it but its a common variety and its used for everyday cooking.

Wild chili's:
C. lanceolatum - Wild chili pepper species was though to be extinct for over 50 years until it was recently rediscovered!
C. parvifolium - 1/3 germinated in soil, 29 days. New batch on rockwool started 26/3
C. galapagoense - 0/3 germinated in soil. New batch on rockwool started 26/3

From fatalii's suprisemix:
C. unknown - Black seed, Most likely C. pubescens, Took 8 days to germinate
C. unknown - Black seed, Most likely C. pubescens, Took 12 days to germinate
C. unknown - Took 8 days to germinate, fast bushy growth, might indicate a annuum or baccatum species.
C. unknown - Took 11 days to germinate, slow growth, thicker leaves, might indicate a chinense.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera available until just now so I have no pictures of the germination process. I started of with a HPS lamp but recently switched to LED's. I'm now growing under two 90w LED lights with a setup of 60% Red, 30% Blue and 10% White LED's. Im also running a rotating fan most of the time when the Lights are on. Id love some constructive criticism on my garden!

DSC_0738.JPG

DSC_0745.JPG

These two pictures show the HPS lamp I was using at first, I borrowed it from a relative but it didn't work to well, It got a bit too hot around it and the plants seemed to grow a bit spindly and not bushy. At the left on the low table my heatingpad is shown, this have worked great when germinating seeds. I can keep it at a steady temperature with a thermostat.

DSC_0435.JPG

This is how my growing setup looks as I'm writing. I had to turn on the other lights in the room to get a better light to photograph in. On the shelf on the left I'm trying out a few bonsai experiments.

DSC_0377.JPG

This is the annuum box, I'm growing my annuums and baccatums here. The plants have been germinated at different times, the larger ones in the back is Jamaican Bell, Chiluacle Negro and the Hungarian one.

DSC_0391.JPG

Same picture in daylight.

DSC_0427.JPG

View from above, the bushy ones are called Apace, a annuum common in Mexico and South America. The larger plants on the right is Hot lemon, I think they are the same as lemon drop.

DSC_0375.JPG

This is the chinense box, here I grow the hot varieties!

DSC_0424.JPG

View from above, the larger ones are all Red Habaneros, the little seed on the left is the parvifolium.

DSC_0414.JPG

Germination chamber, a few seeds are resting inside in rockwool cubes. I started of all the other seeds in soil but when I got my hands on rockwool I couldn't help starting of a new batch to see if I could get better results. I'm trying to keep a steady 29 degrees

DSC_0419.JPG

Once inside it took this jolokia seed 9 days to germinate, In soil it took the same seeds 12 days.

Update!
I raided my kitchen and decided to actually germinate some of the chilis I'm also using for cooking. I'm also posting some pictures of bud nipping that I did yesterday.
What goes into the ground today is C. chinense 'Habanero, Orange' and C. Unknown "Thai red hot". The orange habanero I've bought in a normal supermarket so it might be cross pollinated, that's a chance I'm taking when taking seeds from fruits bought at a supermarket. I don't even know its origin. The one I'm calling Thai red hot is a small hot chili from thailand. I bought dry pods from a local asian market. I don't have a proper name for it but its a common variety and used for everyday cooking. Most likely a Annuum.

DSC_0446.JPG

Rockwool cubes, I'm not sure these are the best kind, the seem to differ a little bit from other cubes in colour but it was the only thing I could find.

DSC_0454.JPG

Soaked cubes, I'm sowing three seeds in each cube here.

Around 35 days after germination my hungarian one and the Chiluacle Negro decided flowering was in its place. I'm not sure if I should leave the flowers buds be or nip them off since from what I've read flower nipping is mostly done on chinense's. But it seemed like a good idea at the time because I wanted them a bit bigger. Id be glad to get some advice here. On a note I can say that I haven't started fertilizing them yet.

DSC_0383.JPG

The hungarian plant seen here. The stem is starting to split up here aswell. In the middle was the flower bud that I nipped. As you can see there are more buds on its way, so Id like to hear what I should do here.

DSC_0384.JPG

Chiluacle Negro flower buds. Nipped 2 from this plant.

Blafa you're doing wonderful for a first timer. Heck you're doing wonderful for anyone. Couple of things. I would start feeding them, a few are looking a bit droopy.

I'm a firm believer in pinching buds when the plants are small. Let the plants focus all of their energy on growing larger and stronger. Buds will come.

Best of luck to you!

what a complete system, thermometers in all trays, separate lights for all trays, nice labelling work to.

I think in the future, you might even give AJ a run for his money :P

Yeah, my hungarian also started flowering after a month. my favourite plants actually :)

Thanks for the kind words, It means a lot!
I will most likely update tonight with some more flower pinching, other then that I think I gave them a little to much water the last few days so I will have then dry up a bit and then I'm starting some fertilizing. I don't have a optimal fertilizer at the moment but I will go with a pretty generic one for the time being. It's a NPK based fertilizer with the ratio being 7-2-5. If you disagree or think its a bad choice please say so!

Thanks, Hopefully I will find my last package of seeds in the mail today, including the deadly trinidad scorpion! Stay tuned for pictures.

Finally! The seeds from Finland arrived, and I think its a interesting mix, List follows:

C. lanceolatum - [iI]Wild chile pepper species was though to be extinct for over 50 years until it was recently rediscovered![/i]

C. chinense 'Trinidad Scorpion' - Morouga Blend, said to be hotter then a bhut, time will tell!
C. chinense 'Pimenta da Neyde' - Very hot, black or purple leaves.
C. chinense Pink Habanero - Habanero taste without the heat!

C. pubescens 'Turbo Pube (PI 585267)' - Large, yellow, tasty rocotos.

C. annuum Short Yellow Tabasco - Ornamental plant with stingy heat.

Hopefully I'll find time tonight to germinate them all!

DSC_0477.JPG

Update!
Today I sowed the seeds I received yesterday. I heated up water to around 40c/104f soaked the cubes in it, Wrote the labels and then planted the seeds. Pictures follows

DSC_0513.JPG

DSC_0517.JPG

These are the C. lanceolatum seed, it's a very rare wild chili. It's hard to germinate and these seeds must bee the smallest ones I've ever seen for a chili. Even with tweezers I had a hard time grabbing them.

DSC_0525.JPG

Seeds planted and labelled up. A lot of different colours and sizes this time.

DSC_0529.JPG

All of them together with the other cubes. Notice the fish pepper and the thai pepper germinated over the night. The thai pepper now shares the 4 day record in germination time, though its looking awfully white. I'm afraid it might be an albino.

Update: 10 days

Much have happened in ten days, Ill start off where I left last time. Seen below is a picture of the seeds that germinated to far. Most of them have successfully germinated I'm just waiting for the wild ones and the turbo pube.
DSC_0586.JPG

In the Annuum/Baccatum box some of my plants is just growing to fast for their own good. I decided to tie them up. Seen in the first picture below is the wire I used, it works great and is easy to use.
DSC_0553_01.JPG

DSC_0598.JPG

DSC_0594.JPG

C. annuum 'Chiluacle Negro' For some reason the leaves are curling a bit on this plant. I have no idea why that is, this happened before I even started to fertilize it. I'm not worried though since the plant is growing nice and looking healthy apart from this.

The Chinense box is growing a bit slower but I'm still seeing great results here. This is a overview of the plants. On the left you can see two 'none chinense', These are C. annuum 'Apache' that I just re-potted, another picture of this variety later. I have ordered a package of Biobizz nutrients from a shop nearby, Bio-grow, Bio-Bloom and TopMax. I'm still waiting for them to arrive but it will be interesting to see if I can notice any difference using them compared to the mediocre fertilizer that I have at the moment.

DSC_0584.JPG

I also re-potted all of my C. chinense 'Habanero, Red '. The colours might be slightly off in this picture but let me insure you that they are looking really good.
DSC_0563_01.JPG

DSC_0575.JPG

C. annuum "Hungarian". I'm actively nipping flowers on this one, this plant seem to have the same leaf curling as the Chiluacle Negro, But the rest of the plant is looking fine. Any ideas what this might be?

C. annuum 'Apache' This is one of my favourite plants so far, its just looking SO decorative and good! I have 2 plants of this variety, I'm nipping the flowers on one of them but not on the on one in the picture. I have hopes for some early fruits here if its strong enough to produce pods.
DSC_0572.JPG

Beautiful selection, very pro looking setup too.
I think we're going to see great things from you in years to come, my friend.

awsome i did not even do that well my first year. i only grew orange hab, yellow devils tongue, purira, jalapeno, marconi red and 5 color. congrats. maybe this fall we can trade. i now have about 150 varietys. i am hoping the cap lanceolatum pepper grows for you.

Update!
It's been a while and I've been busy and my plants as well, or so it seems.
In the end of the month I'm moving to a new apartment, so I will probably continue to be busy for a while. I won't be able to bring all of my plants with me. Luckily enough I can store the ones I don't bring with me at my mothers place.

I repotted almost all of my plants now and I've moved most of them out of the cellar, though a few favourites is still left behind! I also have a few seedlings left here.

Overview.
DSC_0648.JPG

C. annuum 'Chiluacle Negro'- Beer bottle experiment
DSC_0635.JPG

C. annuum 'CAP 1042' aka. Prik Ki Nu Flowering
DSC_0681.JPG

C. annuum 'CAP 1473 (C. microcarpum)' Flowering
DSC_0613.JPG

C. chinense 'Naga Morich' Flower buds
DSC_0645.JPG

C. annuum 'Apache' Pods maturing
DSC_0617.JPG

Bonsai Projects/Experiments
DSC_0661.JPG

Last batch of seedlings, I'm so glad that I got the C. galapagoense to germinate successfully.
DSC_0663.JPG

Back