• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot sauce making for an Uber newbie...

Hey guys,
Just wanted to make a request of some of the great chili minds on this forum. I am new to the whole chili thing, but am going to have tons of pods from over 30 species this year.

I am reading lots of good recipes, etc for sauces and some occasional mentioning of "mash" and the like. However, no one has given a good description of how to make a sauce from start to finish including the all important aspect of sterilization so that unopened woozies can be stored at room temp over periods of time.

I'm also curious as to this whole mash thing and how that goes from start to finish and why you'd want to do it. I'm not looking to steal anyone's family recipe, but I'd just like a clean easy to understand basic how-to on these topics. I'm sure there have to be some folks out there who are curious too. Thanks guys.

Wow cool another chilehead in Chucktown, welcome. Sauce making is best when you take ideas from a bunch of different recipies and just make your own. I usually use a base of pineapple or carrots and chop all my peppers and cook this with about 1½ cups white vinegar. Sugar and salt to taste and then bottle when sauce is above 195° F then cap and turn upside down. This works if I plan to use my sauce fairly soon, if I want to keep any longer I jar using a hot water bath. Mash is a technique of preserving food uses Lactobacillus bacteria in which peppers and salt and mixed at a ratio about 7% salt to pepper weight. I like that aged mellow taste of the peppers done this way just have to account for the added salt taste. I'll probably have a few extra plant that you can have.:lol:

Hot Sauce 101-

definitions-
hot sauce- anything you concoct that is spicy (but not a bbq sauce ;) )
mash- ground peppers that are fermented using salt or a starter culture (like kefir or sauer kraut or kim chee juices for the lacto bacillius). The peppers take on an aged,sometimes sour flavor. Some people like the sour flavor, some don't. It's just a recipe variety.
pickled mash- ground peppers that are cured/preserved in vinegar. Some people like a vinegary flavor to their peppers.

For a beginner, I would STRONGLY suggest using or creating some kind of cooked sauce. There are 100's of recipes so find one or create one that you like. Here's lots of basic recipes to start with-
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html

Mason jar processing-
You don't have to use those cute little hot sauce bottles! Using regular canning jars does allow you to can a sauce without having to cook it first, however, for a beginner, I would suggest cooking the sauce before canning it so you can taste the sauce and make any flavor corrections or additions before it's all canned up.

If you add an acid to the sauce, like vinegar or lemon/lime juice, you can get away with just doing a "hot water bath", but if you do not add any acid to the peppers,onions,garlic,etc, then you MUST pressure can it to prevent botulism. Also, if you do not cook the sauce and are using raw vegetables/peppers, I would STRONGLY suggest that you pressure can the jars.

There are MANY good canning website- do some googling. Here's a link to the Ball canning site-
http://www.freshpreserving.com/

If you want to use canning jars, search out a recipe that has been designed for canning so you know it has the proper pH levels.

Here's some notes on using woozies-
Sterilization-
Sterilize the woozie bottles.
Rinse with bleach water 2 tsp/1 gal COOL water. Do this the day before to allow the bleach to dissipate.
-OR-
Boil bottles in hot water for 15-20 minutes. Drain.

Heat the sauce to boiling, simmer for 30 minutes. ( strongly suggest using a non-aluminum, non-cast iron pan. Stainless or glass is preferred)

Transfer the HOT (heated) sauce to the woozie bottles one at a time using a turkey baster, cup-and-funnel or small spouted measuring cup. The sauce must be a minimum of 180F when it's put into the bottle to properly sterilize the bottle (which has already been cleaned) and the cap (which has not been sanitized)

Wipe the top if necessary. Screw on the cap and immediately invert the bottle. Leave the bottle inverted for at least 5 minutes. This allows the hot product to come in contact with the cap and to kill all the nasties.

If you order some woozie bottles online, specify LINED caps.

That's pretty much it!

Making pepper mash is a whole other ball game and there is a lot of confusion regarding salt mash (which is fermented), vinegar mash (which is NOT fermented!), cooked peppers left to age, uncooked peppers....I'd avoid trying any of these until you have a handle on the basics. If you do it wrong, botulism can kill!

Here's a thread discussing mash-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?16563-Fermentation-question&highlight=mash

edit- there are many different temperatures quoted for hot packing hot sauce. Washington state says 170F, others say up to 195. The differences come from different authorities. The state inspector may want 175F and the county extension service suggests 190F. Regardless of the differences, if the sauce is simmering when it's packed, it's at least 212F and you're good to go.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Pepper Ridge Farm: Yes, it is nice to know another chili freak lives in Chucktown! We will have to stay in touch and track each other's progress. I have been slack and have not started my official grow log yet, but I'm going to get one up soon. Thanks for your advice on the sauces....will probably need your wisdom as the season progresses too. When do you plan on planting out this year? It's been an unseasonably cold winter here. Mine are still indoors. They look pretty healthy, but have not really taken off in size or height yet.

Salsalady: All I can say is WOW! Thanks for the wonderful details in your reply. Things are making a bit more sense now. I do have one more stupid question though. It concerns sterility and long term storage. The pressure canning makes sense. However, I will probably be going the woozy route so I can give some away, etc. If I use the woozy method you outlined above, does that essentially sterilize everything enough for long term storage at room temp until opened by the end user? Would it make any sense to use a pressure cooker with woozies or would it melt the plastic caps?

One last question for anyone. I've read a small amount on "extract" and "paste." What are these used for and how would you make them?

Again guys, thanks for all the explanations and inside info!

Pastes are made using pods and vineger, some people like to add sugar to taste as well. Extracts are made in the home using alcohol (everclear or high alcohol moonshine) to extract the capsaicin from pods, commercial extracts are usually made differently. You need a lot of dry pods to make extract.

arringdd-

If you follow the directions, your wozzy sauces will be shelf stable.

cook the sauce
sterilize the bottles
fill with HOT product
immediately cap and invert

As the sauce cools in the bottle, it will create a vacuum just like canning. There is no need to hot water bath or pressure cook. And the lids might melt as you suggested. If you give some away, maybe put a little sticker on the bottles that says "refrigerate after opening" just to keep things safe.

Here's a thread about making extract at home-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?17089-makin-some-extract-come-yell-at-me!!

Anyone can make pastes with a blender or food processor, extracts are once again, a whole different item! I haven't used a pepper paste yet, but I would imagine it could be used to make hot sauce or plop some into a pot of chili or ????. Keep in mind, if you do make some paste to either add some vinegar to it to get the pH down or if you don't want the vinegar, freeze it. Raw chopped peppers will go bad even under refrigeration in days. I would guess maybe 5-7 days, but that's just my "Suzie-Homemaker" best guess.

Good luck and have fun! I'll look for your grow log.

SL

I know millions of people use woozies and I wouldn't dare say don't use them....however, I am so afraid something I make will spoil and make people sick, I pressure can everything except pickled peppers then I hot water bath them...

there are many different size mason jars to choose from...I use 8 ounce jelly jars...thats only 3 ounces more than a woozie and I can guarantee it is safe...I may try and get some 4 ounce jars for this coming season...

If you want a good book that tells you all the details of pressure canning and hot water bath canning with lots of recipes AND it also says which foods require pressure or hot water bath canning procedures, you need to get this...

Balls Complete Book of Home Peserving...it is well worth the money IMO if you are planning on distributing your wares...

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314

AlabamaJack said:
If you want a good book that tells you all the details of pressure canning and hot water bath canning with lots of recipes AND it also says which foods require pressure or hot water bath canning procedures, you need to get this...

Balls Complete Book of Home Peserving...it is well worth the money IMO if you are planning on distributing your wares...

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314

Well, I thank you for the idea/recommendation about the book and just placed an order for it. ;)

question

With the followinf recipe , how would u go about sealing the jars?? thanks Dave

Habanero Pepper Sauce

12 Habanero chiles, stems removed, chopped
1/2 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TB vegetable oil
1/2 c chopped carrots
1/2 c distilled vinegar
1/4 c lime juice
Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until carrots are soft. Place mixture in blender with chiles, and puree until smooth. Combine puree with vinegar and lime juice; simmer 5 minutes to combine flavors. Put mixture into sterilized bottles and seal.

Dave,

I notice a couple things about your recipe. It only says to simmer the puree with uncooked chiles, vinegar and lime for 5 minutes. Personally, I would simmer it for about 20 minutes to make sure the chiles are thoroughly cooked. Or better yet, add the chiles with the carrots, cook until soft, then blender everything. Keep a lid on it or add a little water if it starts to get too thick. Watch for scorching.

This may be WAY too much information, but if you want bigger chunks of chile in a smooth onion/garlic/carrot puree, then cook the onion/garlic/carrots as directed and puree in blender. In a SEPARATE pan, simmer the chiles with (vinegar/lime/water/whatever) for 20 minutes and then pulse briefly in the blender until you have the size of chile chunks you want. I'd cut the whole chiles in half or quarters before simmering.

For all these sauces, use a good quality non-reactive pan. No aluminum or cast iron. Use stainless or glass.

The above recipe only looks to make about 12 oz of sauce. If it needs to be sealed (you're giving it away or storing it long term) I'd suggest a small canning jar/jelly jar with a lid and ring and then hot water bath it. You can fit the short jelly jars in a medium to large size sauce pan, and have room for water over top and boiling. If you have access to new woozy bottles, follow the above directions.

If you intend to use it right away, just put it into any ol' clean jar/bottle/plastic tub, REFRIGERATE IT, and enjoy.

Sounds like a good sauce. Post pics if you try it, we LOVE pics!

PS- Welcome kkbait!

I got this from a friend and am wondering if it is ok. I was told I don't have to refrigerate for the aging. Out of 6 half-pint masons only 2 seals popped, then I got my vacuum sealer to pop 1. the other 3 I left well tightened.(EDIT Upon checking on the aging jars I found they all popped down EDIT) I didn't think I had to boil/cook the actual hot sauce so I boiled water like it says and put the jars in there. If it helps the water was almost up to the bottom of the rings when I put the masons in. I also blended first prior to aging.

Thank you for any help saving us from eating nasties. Of course some of my family just think the heat is nasty lol.

Recipe Given To Me:

take the habs slice them in half

fill a jar with habs,garlic cloves, onion

fill half way with white or cane vinegar and the rest water and two teaspoons of salt

close lids shake up to dissolve salt, boil water, then take pot off the burner and slowly place the jar into the hot water and leave it go until the water starts to cool this will kill any bacteria let age about 3 weeks to a month
then take the contents and pour it into blender or food processor and grind to desired texture

Viola you have hot sauce!!

refrigerate when not using

? for Kkbait and Salsalady

I made a double size batch of kkbait's recipe. 12 carribean red habs times 2 is 30 right? lol. Seriously though it looks nice and tastes wow. My question is, will using applecider vinegar hurt? It is all I had available.

Thanks for your help
Brian

I had no problem blending it hot. Was nice to get the vapors sealed in somewhere. lol. FUN FACT: Fatalii's rubbed on your nipple can be fun ........... for days. Methinks it's a chemical burn. :twisted: :crazy:

? for Kkbait and SalsaladyI made a double size batch of kkbait's recipe. 12 carribean red habs times 2 is 30 right? lol. Seriously though it looks nice and tastes wow. My question is, will using applecider vinegar hurt? It is all I had available.Thanks for your helpBrian
Cider vinegar is fine, it usually has the same acidity (5%) as white vinegar. Just be aware of the taste. Sometimes you want the cider vinegar taste, sometimes you want a more neutral white vinegar taste. And watch out for "apple cider FLAVORED vinegar".. And if you are using any of the other less common vinegars, like rice wine vinegar, or some of the red wine vinegars, take note of the acidity. Some are as low as 3.2% and if a recipe is based on a 5% acidity, you won't have the proper ratio and could have problems.

I had no problem blending it hot. Was nice to get the vapors sealed in somewhere. lol. FUN FACT: Fatalii's rubbed on your nipple can be fun ........... for days. Methinks it's a chemical burn. :twisted: :crazy:

TMI!!!
Although I could use that in the next playtime~~~ :twisted: heeheehee

And about blending hot stuff, I just got blasted 2 days ago with boiling hot bih jolokia sauce. And I know how to blender hot sauces, but that time I didn't have the lid cracked and it exploded right in my face and shoulders. Luckily I was wearing glasses, so the eyes were safe. Just a word of caution for others, please be careful! If using a blender, leave the knob in the middle of the lid loose so the steam can escape when you start the blender. And do NOT put your bare hand on the lid, use a towel to gently hold things while blendering.

I have a blend tech that will just about grind anything into nothing, but how bout using a stick blender on the hot stuff in the pot???? I have enoiugh peppers for a small batch of my first sauce this weekend and am looking at recipies. This is a great thread.

I have a blend tech that will just about grind anything into nothing, but how bout using a stick blender on the hot stuff in the pot???? I have enoiugh peppers for a small batch of my first sauce this weekend and am looking at recipies. This is a great thread.
I've used a stick blender in a pot full of hot tomatoes, works great imo.

Stick blenders are good for small batches also. I have found that they can not emulsify or pulverize the stuff like a reasonable blender can. I feel the newer Westinghouse $49 blender can grind stuff up better than the 25-year old Cuisinart food processor I have. But that being said...I'm sure a newer food processor can do the job better than the 25-year old one that I have.

Using the stick blender in the pot lets the steam do it's thing. I don't know what physics thing happens when you put boiling hot liquid in a blender and then hit the pulse button, but there is an explosion of steam when that happens. And if the person is not prepared for it, the steam explodes with the sauce.....OUCH!

Back