• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Pizza crust risen with brettanomyces!

I have been wondering what would happen if I used "wild" beer yeast in my pizza dough. So I took the dregs from a beer fermented entirely with 2 strains of Brettanomyces yeast (claussenii and bruxellensis) and mixed up my usual batch of pizza dough.

Instead of using regular yeast, I included the collected yeast sediment from the bottle. So I mixed the dough up and let it sit at room temperature for two days. I noticed a very nice crust rim rise, great coloration, an airy and open (but chewy) crumb, and some great sourdough flavor! This was such a great success and such a nice surprise that I don't think I even want to bother with conventional yeast anymore unless speed is of the essence. At any rate, I think this will be the first of several more experiments to come. So, without further adieu, here are the pictures:

Whole pizza:
8zp7ch.jpg

Cross section:
2jb020o.jpg

Crust rim:
2zqtyf5.jpg

Crust coloration:
i1wp3d.jpg

The looks like a NY pie! The "orange" look of the cheese and oils instead of white on red, and the crust too. WOW! I'd eat that in a sec.

Thanks, that is a huge compliment! I know how serious New Yorkers are about their pizza, and with good reason.

You managed to get good browning on the crust and the cheese... not too much, not too little. How did you cook it? I see you have a pizza peel, you must have a stone too.

Yes, the stone is essential. I preheat my oven to 550 (with the convection option on) and then let the stone preheat for an additional hour. The pizza then goes in for 6 minutes, and what you see above is the result.

Amazing. Best home cooked pizza I've seen yet.

wow steve, that's really good. I'm looking to make a sourdough style pizza dough in the coming weeks and those pics have inspired me...:)

Thanks, I've seen that before. I have a gas oven, and a countertop convection oven I'll be seeing which is better, when my kitchen is done.

When I set my oven to 550, the convection option actually drops it by 25 degrees, so it ends up being 525. I like the convection option, even though it is slightly less hot, because it helps crust coloration.

Back