• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Tips for growing peppers indoors...

Okay, so for those of you who are reading this hoping for some answers, I apologize (for the interim anyway), but maybe but the time you are looking at this, there will be plenty of tips.

Myself, I'm new to pepper growing and have a few growing outside, one growing inside and a couple more attempting to germinate inside. My peppers last year (outdoors) froze before I got a chance to harvest, which is why I'm attempting the indoor thing. It's going okay, but not great and would love to hear what works for others.

Things I'd like to know about:
hours of light (are artificial lights useful)
indirect or direct light
ideal temperature
size of pots
what about winter?

I've considered taking a pepper plant to my cubicle at work, but am not sure how it would do there.

I grow indoors and outdoors, I find that for CFL or other fluorescent lighting, you need more than the usual 12 hours, I go with 15-16 hours a day.

For vegative growth (early life) the temperatures dont matter unless you dont want to water periodically.

A plant can fruit as soon as a flower appears, but generally you want to pinch off the first month or so of flower development because this will slow the growth down. Also, use a Fertilizer higher in Nitrogen during this growth stage.

When the plant gets to the size you want, you can switch to Tomato food which is high in P and K and less N. I use that and Epsom Salt + Bloom Booster.

For container plants, water deeply so water leaks out the bottom, this is to flush out salt buildup which can be very bad for your plants.

Never water them if the top inch or so of soil is wet, I water when my plants start to wilt.

Anyway, getting back on topic, the biggest killer of fruitset are temperature and light! Not enough light and you get few or no fruit set, too much light means too much heat, and too much heat means few or no fruit set!

You have to strike a ballence between light and heat, when using High Intensity Lighting this is less of a problem because you can place the lights farther away without reducing light intensity while reducing radiated heat. This is most of a problem when using CFL or other Florescent lighting which isnt very bright and must be placed real close to the foliage. Although Florescent lights dont put out as much heat as HID lighting or Incandescent lights, you have to place them so close to the leaves that the heat they do put out can become a problem.

CFL and other fluorescent lights, while they may appear bright to the human eye, are not very bright at all, and you need to bring them as close as you can to the leaves and use a longer photo period (15 to 16 hours a day) then other types of lights to make up for the lack of intensity.

This presents a problem though, while they are not very bright, they emit a lot of heat and this radates onto the plants which wreaks all kinds of havoc on the flowers and fruitset in general. So you are faced with the challenge of keeping the lights close enough to the plants for adequate light, while keeping them far away as to not cause the temperatures to get out of control.

Here are some temperature numbers I pulled out of a book on Chilis and have worked great for me, these are based on Annums and it is to my understanding that Chinenses are more picky about temperatures than Annums.

No Fruit Set (Assuming Flower hasnt dropped or been aborted):
Mean temps lower than 16'C (60.8F) or greater than 32'C (89.6F)

Flower Drop:
Nighttime temps greater than 24'C (75.2F)

Maxiumum Flower Set:
Day and Night temps between 16'C (60.8F) and 21'C (69.8F)

Pollen Germination:
Optimal temps between 20'C (68F) and 25'C (77F)
Pollen is harmed at temperatures above 30'C (86F)
Pollen is sterile if temps are above 30'C (86F) 15 days prior to anthesis (bloom)

Fruit Set:
Pollen tube growth (pollen travel) from stigma to egg (fruit) takes between 6 to 42 hours.

Now what all that means is, if the nighttime temperatures are too high the flowers tend to abort, even if they have only been open for a short period of time. Aborted flowers turn yellow or pinkish in the stems while the petals tend to fold inward and look wrinkled in appearence. At the 'stem-node end' (the part where the stem meets the plant) it will shrink to a tip and the flower may or may not wilt, falling off easily.

If the young flower buds experience temperatures in excess of 30'C (86F) 15 days prior to blooming, the pollen may be less viable or sterile. I noticed this when bringing plants outdoors that were under hot lights in a hot grow room... The first week of young flowers would not set at all or very few of them would set, however after those had been aborted the next set would set just fine.

So there are three things that can prevent a flower from setting.

#1: High nighttime temps cause flowers to abort and fall off regardless of whether or not they were pollinated.

#2: High mean temps cause problems in pollen viability or reduced fertility.

#3: High day-time temps can interupt pollen tube growth in a negative way, causing pollinated flowers to abort or reduced seed count which can reduce pod size.

My advice to you is, place your growing area near a window and put a fan in the window to let cool nighttime air in, and other fans around the room to remove hot air from the lights and circulate air.

As for Light Color temperature, unlike other plants that tend to fruit in red light and less so in blue light, it is to my understanding that chilis like a mixed spectrum. I use 50/50 mix of Red (Warm, 2600K) and Blue (Daylight, 6500K) lights. Time of light does NOT effect fruiting like other plants.

For Pot Size, 10-inch or larger, but you can grow them in pots smaller than 10-inch but the plant may not get very large (which could be a good thing if your growing area is small).

You can grow them all year under lights, some people (me included) will cut the plants down to a 4 inch stump and wax the top at the end of the growing season. The next years growth will be very bushy, and yeilds will be higher, though pod size may suffer.

A tip on pod heat, if you let a plant with fruit on it wilt from lack of water, the pods will tend to be much hotter. Any plant stress will do this, but wilting from lack of water is the safest way, as the plant will recover quickly after being watered.

However, stressing a plant with no fruit will NOT make the future pods hot!

Also, if growing outdoors, it's best to start plants early, like late December, early January indoors under lights. This way your plants are ready or just about ready to hold a decent fruit set by the time the weather outside becomes favorable for growing.

I hope this info helps you, good luck!

Wow! Thank you for the information. That actually explains quite a bit and I can see why, despite the numerous flowers, I've only got 3 pods on my plant. I think the night time temps are killing me.

Thanks for the information! I read it carefully cause Im growing indoors under HID's, and I had lots of flower dropping during last growop. The light vs. temp. is dancing with the devil, you just want to get as much light intensity, and cant resist taking the lamp further down, but then comes the flower drop hitting in the head :)

Planting indoors

Okay, so here's a related question: does it matter when I start if the plant is staying indoors? It's mid-June and I'm thinking about planting some Rainbow Thai peppers. Is it too late in the year, or does it even matter if the plant is staying indoors?

malandro95 said:
Okay, so here's a related question: does it matter when I start if the plant is staying indoors? It's mid-June and I'm thinking about planting some Rainbow Thai peppers. Is it too late in the year, or does it even matter if the plant is staying indoors?

If you're providing a good artificial environment for the plants and they will remain indoors, it doesn't matter when you start the seed.

Silver_Surfer said:
If you're providing a good artificial environment for the plants and they will remain indoors, it doesn't matter when you start the seed.

Okay, so what if I am not doing anything special for the environment? I keep my peppers near a large window, so they are getting plenty of lights, and the temperatures get up to about 77 during the day and then drop to about 74 at night. In the winter, it would probably stay at about 70, but would get less light due to shortened amounts of sun.

Given those conditions, does it matter when I plant the seeds?

malandro95 said:
Okay, so what if I am not doing anything special for the environment? I keep my peppers near a large window, so they are getting plenty of lights, and the temperatures get up to about 77 during the day and then drop to about 74 at night. In the winter, it would probably stay at about 70, but would get less light due to shortened amounts of sun.

Given those conditions, does it matter when I plant the seeds?

The sooner you start the better, but like what was said above, if you have a decent indoor growing setup, you can grow them indefinitely. Otherwise you will need to make up for the lack of light received from the windows in the colder months.

Chilis need at least 6 hours of direct sun a day, any less than that and your yeilds may drop.

malandro95 said:

It will be ok forever indoors whenever you start them.
What is a Rainbow Thai? Where did you get them? :shocked:

Richard pretty much covered all the questions. The only thing I have to add is in regards to the light times. Research has shown that both tomato and chili plants are more productive when subjected to 24 hours of light for the first 5 to 7 weeks after germination. However, after the 5 to 7 week period is up you will need to cut the lights back to around 14-16 hours a day as additional light is not beneficial. In fact, research has shown that your plants stand a greater chance of developing leaf chloroses (yellowing leaves) and drop when the light times exceeded 14 hours a day after the initial 5-7 week period.

AJ has posted snippets from an article about light times, but I wasn't able to find the updated version that he has. I do have the older version (in pdf format) that reports on tomato experiments if anyone is interested in reading it. The article is:

1998 Demersa, D-A., Doraisa, M., Wienb, C., and Gosselina, A. "Effects of supplemental light duration on greenhouse tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) plants and fruit yields" in Scientia Horticulturae 74, pp 295-306

There is also a fellow that has conducted his own experiments on light times and his posts can be found HERE. He has some pretty convincing photos that were taken throughout the experiment.

rainbowberry said:
Yeah what's a Rainbow Thai? You'll have to post pictures sometime.

I'd be happy to post to some photos. I am not sure they are growing though. :shocked:

I planted 3 different seeds in 3 different pots and only one is growing, so I'm not sure what I have. (yah, I know, I should have labeled them :rolleyes:). If it turns out to be Rainbow Thai, I'll send some pics. ;)

Back