• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Yellow leaves. Nute burn?

solid7 said:

Tell me exactly how you did your testing...
I filled a clean glass 1/3 with potting mix from a couple of my plants. Then filled the other 2/3 with distilled water and stirred for 5 minutes. Then let it sit for a half hour to let the sediment settle. Then stuck the probe into the liquid and got my reading.

Your EC isn't terrible.  It's a bit high, but not catastrophic.  The problem that I see, is that your plants still look like they are nitrogen deficient. (yes, I really said that)
Did you remove any of the previous fertilizer?  Is it possible to do so?

solid7 said:
Your EC isn't terrible.  It's a bit high, but not catastrophic.  The problem that I see, is that your plants still look like they are nitrogen deficient. (yes, I really said that)
Well i could do a complete purge and run water through each pot for 20 minutes or so... but then im sure id be washing away a lot of beneficial things too. But i guess its either that or just wait and see if they will recover huh?

solid7 said:
I havent removed any fertilizer yet. Maybe ill try doing a complete purge on one plant and see how it does. The question is though, should i add a well balanced fertilizer immediately afterwards?

stickyfingers111 said:
Well i could do a complete purge and run water through each pot for 20 minutes or so... but then im sure id be washing away a lot of beneficial things too. But i guess its either that or just wait and see if they will get recover huh?

If you're already running an inorganic feeding regimen, what are you afraid that you'll wash out, that you can't recover?
This is tricky, because if you've used a slow release fertilizer, it's going to be tricky to "flush" out.
Waiting...  You could, but I don't know how effective that's going to be.  And even just adding a liquid nitrogen fertilizer isn't a great solution, because you really don't want to raise your EC any higher. (it's already too high for me, but I don't think you're in lockout territory - but you also don't have a lot of room to "wiggle")
If this were me in this spot, I'd probably recommend a few things - but all done together:
1) Get a liquid nitrogen supplement in there, ASAP.  Alaska fish is the go-to.  Low on P and K, which you DEFINITELY don't want anymore of.  That contributes to your TDS, which has an effect on EC
2) Next watering, pH down.  Way down.  Maybe to around 5.  This will help the uptake of available nutrients.  7.5 will grow a plant, but not optimally.  Add the N supplement to the pH down'd water, and give 'er hell.
3)  Get as much of the other fert out as you can, for now.  Get it back on track before feeding again.

solid7 said:

If you're already running an inorganic feeding regimen, what are you afraid that you'll wash out, that you can't recover?
This is tricky, because if you've used a slow release fertilizer, it's going to be tricky to "flush" out.
Waiting...  You could, but I don't know how effective that's going to be.  And even just adding a liquid nitrogen fertilizer isn't a great solution, because you really don't want to raise your EC any higher. (it's already too high for me, but I don't think you're in lockout territory - but you also don't have a lot of room to "wiggle")
If this were me in this spot, I'd probably recommend a few things - but all done together:
1) Get a liquid nitrogen supplement in there, ASAP.  Alaska fish is the go-to.  Low on P and K, which you DEFINITELY don't want anymore of.  That contributes to your TDS, which has an effect on EC
2) Next watering, pH down.  Way down.  Maybe to around 5.  This will help the uptake of available nutrients.  7.5 will grow a plant, but not optimally.  Add the N supplement to the pH down'd water, and give 'er hell.
3)  Get as much of the other fert out as you can, for now.  Get it back on track before feeding again.
10-4! Ill wash em out, and i actually have some ph down on hand. Just need to get some fish stuff. I havent been using any slow release fertilizer so all good there. Probably should get a better ph meter too. Digital. Thanks solid7

stickyfingers111 said:
10-4! Ill wash em out, and i actually have some ph down on hand. Just need to get some fish stuff. I havent been using any slow release fertilizer so all good there. Probably should get a better ph meter too. Digital. Thanks solid7

Hey, don't thank me yet.  Let's get you back in the grow zone, and we can square up pleasantries later...
When you say you haven't been using slow release, your numbers say otherwise.  Or are you saying that your 10-10-10 was liquid?  And the 0-10-10?  If it's liquid, or soluble granules, then that makes it a bit trickier.  Liquid you can flush, soluble...  I'm not sure.  No real experience there.
Also, just one man's opinion... But if you're growing indoors, you should have good lab gear.  Your pH and EC measuring tools should be reliable and repeatable.  Even if it's just the best rated of the "cheap-o" stuff on Amazon, go with what gives you god results.  This isn't nearly as forgiving as a soil grow.

solid7 said:

Hey, don't thank me yet.  Let's get you back in the grow zone, and we can square up pleasantries later...
When you say you haven't been using slow release, your numbers say otherwise.  Or are you saying that your 10-10-10 was liquid?  And the 0-10-10?  If it's liquid, or soluble granules, then that makes it a bit trickier.  Liquid you can flush, soluble...  I'm not sure.  No real experience there.
Also, just one man's opinion... But if you're growing indoors, you should have good lab gear.  Your pH and EC measuring tools should be reliable and repeatable.  Even if it's just the best rated of the "cheap-o" stuff on Amazon, go with what gives you god results.  This isn't nearly as forgiving as a soil grow.

The 0-10-10 was a liquid. The 26-12-8 and 10-10-10 were both soluble granules. I would think that since water dissolves them so quickly it shouldn't be an issue to wash out... hopefully. And yeah, my ph meter is one of those 3 function ph/ water/ light meters on amazon. It did have good reviews though. Just not sure I trust it. When I bought it a year ago I wasn't as serious as I am now about growing.

When I get home from work today I will flush out several plants, and some ph down, and use some weak 3-1-2 liquid fertilizer I have on hand. Think it is a good idea to add some micro-nutrients as well?  I am ordering the fish stuff today.

No, don't put any other feed in there right now.  Wait for the fish stuff.  No micros.  Let's get it back on track before any additional dosing.

Yeah, that's the stuff.  This is going to be helpful, because Nitrogen is the most mobile nutrient. So if any of the other stuff is tied up, we'll only be adding what we need, as we flush out anything that isn't yet utilized.

solid7 said:
Yeah, that's the stuff.  This is going to be helpful, because Nitrogen is the most mobile nutrient. So if any of the other stuff is tied up, we'll only be adding what we need, as we flush out anything that isn't yet utilized.

Sounds good. Fish stuff and better ph tester with litmus paper will be here Wednesday. I'll do everything we talked about, and post on here again when I start to see changes.

Just to throw an alternative solution out there, have you considered putting your plant into some new premium potting mix with timed release fertiliser?

You could lift the plant out of the pot, shake it and then soak the roots in water and massage the out potting mix out of the root ball as much as possible and then replant.

Then you would just have to water and after a few months start applying some Dynagro foliage Pro or CNS17.

SuburbanFowl said:
Just to throw an alternative solution out there, have you considered putting your plant into some new premium potting mix with timed release fertiliser?

You could lift the plant out of the pot, shake it and then soak the roots in water and massage the out potting mix out of the root ball as much as possible and then replant.

Then you would just have to water and after a few months start applying some Dynagro foliage Pro or CNS17.

I'm sure that could work too. However, I'm actually looking into doing a hydroponics setup sometime soon. I know those premium potting mixes can be pretty expensive (I have 18 plants). I'd hate to invest in that much quality potting mix just to end up switching over to hydroponics shortly after.

Back